gateway/sony hinges for screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

I have a Gateway Solo 5350 and from what I heard and can tell it was made by
Sony for the most part. What I have a problem with is the screen will not
stay in place. The hinges have gotten to loose. I am wondering if someone
can help me with this problem? I would just like to know how I get to the
hinges and teighten them up.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Neal wrote:
> I have a Gateway Solo 5350 and from what I heard and can tell it was
> made by Sony for the most part. What I have a problem with is the
> screen will not stay in place. The hinges have gotten to loose. I
> am wondering if someone can help me with this problem? I would just
> like to know how I get to the hinges and teighten them up.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me

No, it was not made by Sony; Quanta, maybe; Compal likely.

Anyway, many laptops hinge screws are "readily" accessible. Open the
screen flat to expose the hinge cover. Look carefully at the cover for
a seam in the hinge, a bit on the screen side. If there is a seam, you
can try pressing on the cover above the seam, toward the keyboard to pop
it off. Once that is off, the hinge screws are visible, typically two
on each side. Use a good quality #2 Phillips to tighten. Some covers
release to the inside looking from the keyboard side. Take the flat end
of a screwdriver and press gently on the left edge of the left cover,
right edge of the right cover, and the cover releases. Some covers
release from the back side where it meets the case. Press up and
towards the keyboard, gently.

Some covers, though, defy anything except opening the case.

If it was made by Sony (doubtful) or obtained
from the same manufacturer that supplies Sony,
it is very likely that a hinge failed. It can be
replaced, but it is a rather tedious job.

"Neal" <jarrettracing@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I have a Gateway Solo 5350 and from what I heard and can tell it was made
by
> Sony for the most part. What I have a problem with is the screen will not
> stay in place. The hinges have gotten to loose. I am wondering if
someone
> can help me with this problem? I would just like to know how I get to the
> hinges and teighten them up.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me

beckyred

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I have the same laptop with the same problem. getting to the hinges and getting them off is the easy part. I have yet to find affordable replacements. found a set on ebay for 45 bucs each. could almost buy a newer laptop for another hundred.