gateway/sony hinges for screen

I have a Gateway Solo 5350 and from what I heard and can tell it was made by
Sony for the most part. What I have a problem with is the screen will not
stay in place. The hinges have gotten to loose. I am wondering if someone
can help me with this problem? I would just like to know how I get to the
hinges and teighten them up.

Thanks for any help you can give me
3 answers Last reply
More about gateway sony hinges screen

    Neal wrote:
    > I have a Gateway Solo 5350 and from what I heard and can tell it was
    > made by Sony for the most part. What I have a problem with is the
    > screen will not stay in place. The hinges have gotten to loose. I
    > am wondering if someone can help me with this problem? I would just
    > like to know how I get to the hinges and teighten them up.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give me

    No, it was not made by Sony; Quanta, maybe; Compal likely.

    Anyway, many laptops hinge screws are "readily" accessible. Open the
    screen flat to expose the hinge cover. Look carefully at the cover for
    a seam in the hinge, a bit on the screen side. If there is a seam, you
    can try pressing on the cover above the seam, toward the keyboard to pop
    it off. Once that is off, the hinge screws are visible, typically two
    on each side. Use a good quality #2 Phillips to tighten. Some covers
    release to the inside looking from the keyboard side. Take the flat end
    of a screwdriver and press gently on the left edge of the left cover,
    right edge of the right cover, and the cover releases. Some covers
    release from the back side where it meets the case. Press up and
    towards the keyboard, gently.

    Some covers, though, defy anything except opening the case.

    If it was made by Sony (doubtful) or obtained
    from the same manufacturer that supplies Sony,
    it is very likely that a hinge failed. It can be
    replaced, but it is a rather tedious job.

    "Neal" <jarrettracing@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Gateway Solo 5350 and from what I heard and can tell it was made
    by
    > Sony for the most part. What I have a problem with is the screen will not
    > stay in place. The hinges have gotten to loose. I am wondering if
    someone
    > can help me with this problem? I would just like to know how I get to the
    > hinges and teighten them up.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give me

  3. I have the same laptop with the same problem. getting to the hinges and getting them off is the easy part. I have yet to find affordable replacements. found a set on ebay for 45 bucs each. could almost buy a newer laptop for another hundred.

Laptops Sony Gateway