Which 1155 mobo are you getting?

Debeucci

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I think the maximus is complete overkill, but the asus p67 deluxe seems to fit the bill perfectly. It was a tossup between the asus and the gigabyte.

What about you?

shirodx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
I couldn't wait for the x68.
I went with the P67A-UD5 and an i7-2600k.
Should be good to go for the next coupple of years since I'm coming from a dual core setup currently.

Then I'd go ASUS P6X58D-E + i7 950 with a baby BCLK adjustment which still will be a better solution than the P67. Intel is playing the CPU Multiplier game which they knew about long before they announced the " i7-2600k" and other SB CPUs. The architecture of the X58 still is better than the P67.

No, I don't want to point out all the reasons for X58 vs P67; Google me I've explained 3-4 times. ^That's the shortened version.

shirodx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Hmm jaquith your starting to make me wonder about this all over again.
This system I'm building is for gaming\video editing mainly. My question is, if it can be somewhat answered now, will the P67 platform be better for gaming overall then then the LGA 1366?

The best answer I can give you is that it's close with 1 GPU, where I pretty confident about is the 2/3-WAY SLI for gaming the 1366 is the winner. The 2/3-WAY SLI will not help the Video editing, but the Tri Channel will help to some degree.

Q - What Video Editing App?
Premiere http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/
Sony Vegas http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/news/ShowRelease.asp?ReleaseID=734&CatID=0

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Jaquith, why won't the 2600k be better than an i7 950?
2600k has unlocked multi, higher stock, 32nm, get a motherboard with the NF200 if you really need 3 gpus, x8 is fine for dual card xfire/SLI as long as you aren't going for dual 5970 or 6990.

The multiplier stuff is stupid, but I figure if they have unlocked multiplier CPUs for not much of a price premium, why complain. Only worry is lower class CPUs not having any K variants.

I have the 980X but to OC and use faster RAM {2000MHz} and to get the best overall performance you need to increase the BCLK anyway. It's running @ 4.6GHz. Unlocked CPU multipliers don't phase me too much. I can OC either way. You're kidding yourself if you think cranking-up the CPU multiplier doesn't create a lot of heat.

I'm sorry I'm not taken away by the P67, if it had the X68's PCIe 3.0 then hmm, but sadly as I said no it doesn't. I'd be happy with the P67 if it offered X16/x16/x16. Ha! Something WOW but no it's a baby step forward which seems NUTS to me.

The best I've seen is the EVGA P67 Classified x16/x8;x1;x16/x8;x8;x16/x8;x8

----

To OP then get a GTX 470 GPU.

Q - What's the total budget?

jaquith, you are making a LOT of sense. All the hype surrounding the "latest and greatest" seems like it's just to encourage people to spend money; maintain the "churn" on which so many people depend (needlessly).
Someone doing professional-level work may see a tangible benefit to another CPU performance improvement, however small, but a gamer is going to take a very heavy hit in the wallet essentially for nothing. Dropping $2K+ on a system with an inherent platform bottleneck on multiple high-end GPUs is nothing short of mindless.

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Anyone have any idea about bulldozer release dates?

And I was looking at SB from the POV of a person already looking to get a new computer, not one looking for an upgrade.

Of course the 980x will be faster, SB is aimed more at the lower end ($1200 and below), a section that doesn't need the ability for 3-4 GPUs.

^I know and that's my point of the CONS for the 1156/1155; I also stated " it's a baby step forward which seems NUTS to me."

Therefore, 90%+ of the 'advatages' to the 1155 is the use of the NEW Intel CPUs, and YES I too am aware, as stated, of 3/4-WAY 1155 MOBO e.g. EVGA P67 Classified x16/x8;x1;x16/x8;x8;x16/x8;x8.

Bottom-line 'to me' the 1155 is a big yawn!

Your CPU i5-anything {LGA 1156} will NOT work with the P67 {LGA 1155} CPU socket - you'd need a NEW CPU.

Bad Atom 123

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

I had a P67, and it was the fastest mobo I have built with a sandy 2600... But it failed on it's 11th month, and I tried to have this 5 year warranty board fixed or replaced. Well ASUS blew it big time, very un professional... Went through the RMA process twice, dead boards returned twice. Took them 2.5 months to send me 2 BAD mobos... Do not expect their rapid replacement to assist you. The 2nd round took 5.5 WEEKS and I still received a dead mobo. I used known good PS AND CPU, and they were BOTH DOA.

I will never Build a box, and I build a lot of them, from ASUS EVER AGAIN!!!
BUYER BEWARE, they lie and deceive. Then they LIE AND DECEIVE again...Fast board when it works, but if it fails you are SOL...

Customer service is non existent