ASUS P6x58D-E, Win 7 (64) Marvell AT 91xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimcox46

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Hello,
I seem to be having problems when I try and upgrade the Marvel AT91xx Console on Win 7 64bit. Clobbers my WD 6G 1TB drive to the point I have to reformat the drive with DISKPART and reload from the start. Heard of anything like this?

Solution
In 'my' case I have them all as SSD {Apps + OS/128GB} and RAID 1 HDD {Data/1TB}, and set to RAID. RAID treats the drives as 'AHCI' + TRIM for the SSD.

When building, I have an indifferent attitude and if I run into an install issue I don't think twice about reformatting, Flashing either the MOBO or SSD/HHD if needed. I never connect more than the minimum drives and I install all the header stuff last {USB/drive lettering}. After the OS is running then I'll configure RAID, CF/SLI, etc. If the Build is very complex then I bench build and once running -> install in case.

IF you want to use SATA2 then I would recommend using the first (4) four SATA2 Ports SATA1~SATA4; I always recommend the {Primary(ies)} be located on the first...

Rainey

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Edit: I though you were talking about firmware not drivers.

I just got a few 6Gb drives and like Jaquith said above, They are not much faster on the Marvell controller.

That makes me a little mad, as i planed on using those 2 ports on the Marvell controller at 6Gb but find i get about 125 to 160 on them with Barracuda XT drives. But it seems i get errors at that speed and the drive just disappears and i have to cycle power to the drive to get it to show up in windows again.
I moved that drive to the intel 3Gb controller reformatted and it seems OK. Running Sea tools on it now. These are new drive so it could be a bad drive, i am still in testing mode, we sill see.

I bought my mother board for all these SATA ports and find limits on them all i did not know about. I did not do my homework this time around.

jimcox46

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Thanks all. I put my primary boot drive (C) and high access files (D) are on two WD 6GB/s 1TB drives attached to the Marvell controller. I have my two DVD RW and two ST 1.5 TB drives on the SATA2 ports. That leaves me two SATA2 ports one of which I have attached to the front panel (intend to use for ghosting).

I rebuilt the system without applying the Marvell drivers. It does show up as a problem in the device manager but it seems to run fine. I am running the Marvel set at IDE in the BIOS. Perhaps as jaquith says, when I apply the driver update it somehow get reset to ACHI. I may try and apply that MSFT patch and see where we go from there.

I would be dissapointed if I couldn't use the two 6GB SATA ports as this is one reason I bought this board.

Thanks again for the reply. Anyone else with an idea or two? Happy New Year all. jim :hello:

If after loading the drivers you still have problems or even if you think you do then the 'simplest' fix to driver corruption it the play 'musical ports' with all the HDDs. Port 1->3, 2->1, 3->2 -- it reinitializes the drivers AND the registry settings, and I KNOW with works.

Happy New Year to all! :)

jimcox46

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Well I finally surrendered and took the system to the shop where I purchased the parts. I had the system skinnyed down to 2 MB memory, 1 Disk attached to the SATA 3 Marvel controller and was still getting disk corruption and BSOD.

In converstation with the tech he mentioned "streamlining" with an application called NLite. Hadn't done this before but thinking over night about what the tech said and comments form jaquith I think I may have a clue on what maybe happening. Comments welcomed.

When I loaded Windows 7 using the 6GB/s drive attached to the Marvell controller, it had some basic SATA funtionality through the Windows 7 driver but there were underlying problems between the native Windows 7 SATA drivers and the Marvell controller. When I loaded the proper driver after installing Windows 7 the new driver excerbated the I/O problems eventually causing the BSOD.

Because Windows 7 doesn't have the F6 driver install during build that XP had that leaves me with two options, either putting the Marvell drivers on the Windows 7 disk, i.e. streamlining using Nlite or something like that - or - do the initial build with the boot 6 GB/s drive attached to a ICH10 SATA2 port until initial build and the Marvell drivers could be loaded. I could then move the drive to the SATA3 Marvell controller and all would be well. A third option as jaquith notes above may work but I think the disk would be corrupted during the intial load so perhaps not.

I haven't tried this yet as the machine is still at the shop over the weekend. Sounds hokey and you would think either the Redmond Red Riders would have provided the capability to preload drivers in Windows 7 as in XP or the Marvell developers would permit basic drivers for IDE to work - but alas it does not seem to be the case.

BTW the corruption of the HDD was so bad I had to use DOS Diskpart to format before I could try to load windows again. Really, really ugly.

Comments, sugggestions, thougths, etc. appreciated. I will post the shop solution if different. jim

Rainey

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Well just a few things to add.

I also had a problem with the Marvell 6Gb controller. In my case i also though it was many things that caused the problem, but in the end i find one of the ports on the motherboard just don't work good. That one port is not stable and i get error transferring info over that one port. I found this out after swapping Drives and cable and the problem always stayed with that port. I always had two drives connected to the Marvell controller and have never tired only one drive on that bad port, but i got two 6Gb drives so now one is connected to the 3Gb port.

Assuming 'Slipstream' it is TOTALLY unnecessary for Windows 7 and your situation. The F6/Floppy driver is for XP only - in nLite you just add Intel 'drivers' [strike]do[/strike] so the installer can run w/o the F6.

When installing you only want 1 DVD and 1 HDD/SSD attached. The WORST thing is if ANY of those other HDDs had a Windows install then the INI and other 'boot' info gets written to those drives! Hence you've got a completely screwed-up arrangement!

If it were me, I would start from scratch:
1. Set-up the BIOS: IDE->AHCI; if using an H50/70 'pump' to the CPU_FAN header-> CPU FAN 100%.
2. (1) O-N-E HDD and DVD
3. Never have a DVD installed in SATA2 first 4 ports or with AHCI
4. FULL Format HDD; use a utility if you need to wipe the HDD
5. Boot order 1 = DVD, 2 = HDD
--
6. Install Windows 7; DO NOT USE a Windows 7 DVD from an OEM PC like HP/Dell/GW etc - it will screw you up big time.
--
Failure: Install 'fresh' see item #4 use the SATA2_1; get up and running then install the LATEST Marvell driver - from Marvell {see right column} -> http://www.marvell.com/support.html
Move to SATA3 Marvell Port.

jimcox46

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

Excellent input all, thanks. I guess I get a little anxious when I build my systems and install everything. Have hit a couple of snags along the way, so perhaps I should be a bit more patient. With my F6 / Floppy comment I was hinting that I would have liked this option for Windows 7, perhaps being able to point to a USB to pick up the extraneous drivers. I think this is better than having to build an ISO file with another product just to load, but I digress.

I tried to use AHCI for the 6GB/s drive but Windows install hung on the next to the last step, I think it was driver install but can't remember at the moment. I was so wrapped around the axle chasing my tail I could have had introduced another problem so I am just putting that in my watch list.

BTW what do you see as an advantage for AHCI over IDE? Did you set the SATA 2 controller to AHCI as well? If you don't install the DVD into the first four ports would I am presumming you recommend installing on one of the two the MOB ports on the south edge of the MOB? Also if ACHI shouldn't be used for controllers to which the DVD is attached I am presuming the 6 SATA 2 ports should be set to IDE?

Also don't quite understand the fan comment and theH50/H70 pump? I am using the Intel supplied CPU cooler. Tests on the proc showed it stayed well within Temp spec. MB temp is Ok as well. I am using an ANTEC case with enough large fans to keep my desk afloat 2 in off the floor.

In 'my' case I have them all as SSD {Apps + OS/128GB} and RAID 1 HDD {Data/1TB}, and set to RAID. RAID treats the drives as 'AHCI' + TRIM for the SSD.

When building, I have an indifferent attitude and if I run into an install issue I don't think twice about reformatting, Flashing either the MOBO or SSD/HHD if needed. I never connect more than the minimum drives and I install all the header stuff last {USB/drive lettering}. After the OS is running then I'll configure RAID, CF/SLI, etc. If the Build is very complex then I bench build and once running -> install in case.

IF you want to use SATA2 then I would recommend using the first (4) four SATA2 Ports SATA1~SATA4; I always recommend the {Primary(ies)} be located on the first SATA Ports.

As I said if you're stuck on using a HDD on SATA3:
Failure: Install 'fresh' see item #4 use the SATA2_1; get up and running then install the LATEST Marvell driver - from Marvell {see right column} -> http://www.marvell.com/support.html
Move to SATA3 Marvell Port.

The speed differences of IDE vs AHCI and HDD {not SSD} are negligible, so unless I needed a hot-swap HDD and an SSD I would probably run IDE in your case. But you 'seem' hell bent on eeking every ounce of performance so AHCI was my recommendation.

RE: "H50/H70 pump" the step I apparently omitted was Load Defaults; too many posts. If you had a Corsair H50/H70 then you want the pump running 100% always. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181013 a lot of X58 people run the Corsair; I said "if using..." operative word IF.

*. BIOS: Load Defaults
1. Set-up the BIOS: IDE->AHCI {OPTIONAL} [strike]; if using an H50/70 'pump' to the CPU_FAN header-> CPU FAN 100%. [/strike]
2. (1) O-N-E HDD and DVD
3. Never have a DVD installed in SATA2 first 4 ports or with AHCI
4. FULL Format HDD; use a utility if you need to wipe the HDD
5. Boot order 1 = DVD, 2 = HDD

However, my real opinion of what 'I would do' was clear from my first post. :D

Solution

jimcox46

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Thanks again to all for the help. I will post further info if / when it happens, but I think y'all have help me run this puppy to ground, or at least understand what is happening. Happy New Year to all, and thanks to Tomshardware. jim

gonzail

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hi!

I built my system maybe a month ago:
i7-970, 6Gb, with that P6x58D-E board.
I had two WD 2TB Black Sata 6G connected to the two Marvell ports and configured in Raid (mirror).
Everything went well until last week: rebooted and it was always going in Start-up repair mode. Could never repair it.
Wanted to get my data so tried to connect one of the HDD to another computer: cannot read... I understood that when a HDD is configured by a Hardware Raid, it can only be read by the same Raid controller, am I right?

Anyway, I needed that data so I added a temporary HDD in the system and installed Windows on it. Then from windows I was able to read the 2TB drives but with problems... Had to run a looooooong full check disk but still some data was lost, strangely the last data I created was lost.

Both HDD are passing the WD diagnostic tests so I understand I have an issue with the Marvell controller like you.

Now my plan is to install a SSD drive as main for OS & Apps, it is an Intel sata 6G drive. Then I want to setup the two 2TB data drives in mirror but this time using the Windows mirror so the drives remain readable in any computers if something happens.

What is the best setup? Have the SSD on one Marvell port and the two other drives on the Intel sata 2? Or the Intel SSD on the Intel sata 2? (intel talking to intel)
What if I go in advanced drive options in the Windows setup to specify a driver on a USB stick for the Marvell?

Or I understand you suggest to install Windows with the SSD connected to a sata 2 port then once installed and having installed the latest Marvell drivers, I can move the SSD to the sata 6G without being afraid to lose something?

Thank you!

^ IMO

Intel ICH10R
SATA 1 = SSD
SATA 2 = 2TB 1
SATA 3 = 2TB 2
SATA 5 = ODD

Ctrl - I set-up RAID to mirror.

As much as I like the Marvell on that MOBO and using the latest driver is craps-out at ~Read 360MB/s & ~Write 275 MB/s even with the newest 550/500 MB/s SSD. Oddly the Intel SATA 2 will 293/245.

You can move the SSD from Intel to Marvell easily, and yes you need the drivers. But only use the latest and keep an eye out for Marvell v2 drivers which are in Beta.

milkyjoe01

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
can you help at all. I have an asus sabertooth x58 mobo and an i7 950 cpu, i've just had an ocz vertex 3 128gb ssd. My question is what settings do i need to change that are different to installing on a mechanical HDD, as upon installing win 7 i dont seem to be experiencing lightning quick speeds. I have the SSD in the Marvell Sata 6G port 1 in AHCI and a 640gb HDD in the ICH10R port 1 in AHCI and a DVD-RW in the ICH10R port 2 in AHCI. When you have to specify which drive to install win 7 on i didn't format the SSD, i just installed it straight from the box. I also had to re-install win 7 as we had a power cut just before the end of the 1st installation, I didn't format the drive I just deleted the system drive partition and installed it on the 111Gb(don't know where 9Gb has gone. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

The Marvell 9120/9128 craps out about 365~375MB/s and I know the OCZ Vertex 3 is 550/500. You'll never see it on that MOBO, the only solution is to get an LSI SATA/RAID Card. Next, you must use the latest Marvell drivers, soon there will be a v2 that's in beta now. Unfortunately, the Marvell is shared and the theoretical maximum on PCIe 2 x1 lane is 500 MB/s.

The missing 9GB+ is a combination of formatting and part of Trim. SSD's have a limited lifespan so the 'missing' is held in reserve {over-provisioning} and will replenish when 'blocks' can no longer write data or are 'bad' -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

milkyjoe01

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I'm getting 410mb read and 258mb write on the marvell sata 6g with the latest 1201 drivers. I've seen the asus u3s6 but i'm not familiar with the lsi. What sort of speed could I expect with the lsi card and whats the difference between the lsi and the u3s6?

The LSI 92xx-xx and Marvell 9182 {no typo, it's x2 lanes} will allow the full speed R & W.

You should post your ATTO & AS SSD to OCZ because they're the fastest I've seen for the MOBO.
Informative link -> http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?85336-Vertex-3-Reviews/page5&highlight=vertex+3+review
OCZtestafteradj.png

Vertex3afteradjustments.png

gonzail

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Ok... I might be bad, but when I go on Marvell.com, in the drivers section, I see only Network Controller stuff...
I'm on Marvell.com/support.html

Where did you get the latest drivers?
The ones on ASUS Support are dated 2010 I think.

Thanks!

milkyjoe01

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
The values that i gave in my last post were done using atto and they were the final set of figures, 8096k, i think. So what u r saying is that i'd get slightly better performance using a pcie expansion card. Which of the 2 is the better? I'm not bothered about usb3 but i want as much performance from my ssd as i can get from my current set-up.

There's (2) people posting on another OP's post more less asking the same questions.

@milkyjoe01 - On an LSI you will not have a shared or limited x1 lane, most LSI require x4 and some x8 lanes. I know of someone using 8 Intel SSD in RAID 10 and 2 more Intel in RAID 0 on an x8 LSI. If you're happy as-is then don't spend the money. IF I was getting 410 MB/s then 'I' wouldn't spend the money.

gonzail

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Everything looks fine now with the latest drivers from ASUS for the Marvell Sata 3 Controller.

For people interested, I'm posting my benchmarks with my ASUS P6X58D-E Mobo and my Intel 510 SSD drive:

Benchmark using Intel Sata 2: Read Max: 261MB/s Write Max 199MB/s
Benchmark using Marvell Sata 3: Read Max: 364MB/s Write Max 201MB/s

Thanks people and remember NOT to let Windows 7 update your Marvell Controller drivers, they screwed my drives and I did lose the data that was writen to the drives after the update. At least I was able to get the other data.

Status
Not open for further replies.