Dvd burned by pc life span

anmolsharma

Honorable
May 27, 2012
I have backed up my data on dvd's of sony, moserbear, and writex to ensure its safety if my hard drive crashes but I have heard that even without being used dvd burned by pc lose data after 2 years. So if that is true then I have wasted a lot on them but if they last more than or at least five years then I will be little relieved. Please answer. thanks in advance.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I have never had an issue with optical disk failure once the burn was successful. Even after a dozen years my disks still read fine.

It helps to follow a few simple rules:
1) Use good quality media.
2) Keep them in a cool, dark place.
3) Don't scratch'em

To be on the safe side, all my important files are backed-up on both an external hard drive and at least two DVD copies stored in a safe place.

I have had DVD's fail after a year, I have also had DVD's last for more than ten years or so. It all depends on the brand the type and if you are lucky. If you want your DVD's to last, store them in a cool dark place with no labels or marker pen written on them. If you want to archive data for a very long time then you should use DVD RAM disks.

anmolsharma

Honorable
May 27, 2012

It is for archive purposes only. IN case my hard disk fails I want a backup. Once I make a dvd I never use it again. I bought my pc 2 years ago and Made my first dvd 1.5 years ago and since then I have been making copies of videos, ebooks or other important files downloaded from internet and also my family photos, In case Hard disks fails. I understand If i use dvd again and again then they won't last long due to scratches and spinning in dvd writer but if They are kept in a case will they be able to last at least five years or not. I used writex initially but then shifted to Sony and Moserbaer . If they lose data after 2 years then I can't rely on them and I guess have wasted a lot on them. But if they survive for 5 years then it is ok . I don't understand what improvement have we made in technology if you can't trust your harddisk and dvd's . There should be a cheap medium to back up your files which is not affected for at least 10-15 years( unless you break it or something drastic happens)

anmolsharma

Honorable
May 27, 2012

Thanks