Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Moving hard drive to a new computer

Last response: in Storage
May 27, 2012 3:25:13 PM

Alright, I just built a new computer, and want to move my hard drive from the old one into the new one. However, it's just for the data, not the windows boot. I am installing windows on a new SSD for this new computer, and will be booting from there. Will I be able to plug in my old hard drive and access all the old data I had on there from before?

Thank you!
a b G Storage
May 27, 2012 3:30:24 PM

No.
m
l
May 27, 2012 3:31:37 PM

Bummer. Will I at least be able to see some of the static files, but not run any applications, or is it just completely not accessible in the slightest.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 27, 2012 3:45:21 PM

yes u can . It will appear as any other secondary hard disk and all its drive letters will be changed . Installation type of files wont work though rest of all ur datas will appear as before.
a b G Storage
May 27, 2012 3:58:02 PM

You can just plug in the drive and it will work.

It might not show up at first, but if it doesn't open a run dialogue box and type "diskmgmt.msc" and a window will pop up showing you all the attached drives. Find the hard drive that isn't showing up and right click to assign it a letter.
m
l
May 27, 2012 4:01:54 PM

Alright I'll try it out. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't instantaneously corrupt the entire thing or something. Thanks for the help guys.
m
l
May 27, 2012 4:27:33 PM

Works perfectly. Applications obviously don't work but I can see and access all the data. Thanks!
m
l
!