Solved

Moving hard drive to a new computer

Alright, I just built a new computer, and want to move my hard drive from the old one into the new one. However, it's just for the data, not the windows boot. I am installing windows on a new SSD for this new computer, and will be booting from there. Will I be able to plug in my old hard drive and access all the old data I had on there from before?

Thank you!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about moving hard drive computer
  1. Bummer. Will I at least be able to see some of the static files, but not run any applications, or is it just completely not accessible in the slightest.
  2. Best answer
    yes u can . It will appear as any other secondary hard disk and all its drive letters will be changed . Installation type of files wont work though rest of all ur datas will appear as before.
  3. You can just plug in the drive and it will work.

It might not show up at first, but if it doesn't open a run dialogue box and type "diskmgmt.msc" and a window will pop up showing you all the attached drives. Find the hard drive that isn't showing up and right click to assign it a letter.
  4. Alright I'll try it out. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't instantaneously corrupt the entire thing or something. Thanks for the help guys.
  5. Works perfectly. Applications obviously don't work but I can see and access all the data. Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computer Storage