We are rolling out Windows XP to a number of sites. At certain sites, users
are unable to logon. We have troubleshot the problem for 3 days and
discovered two solutions to the problem.
One solution is to remove the rule on the Access Control List (ACL) on our
site routers that block UDP port 1863.
The second solution is to add the user to a global group that we have
setup to allow users to manage network print queues.

We would like to know why UDP port 1863 is required to be open for a user to
logon to the domain and also how this could be related to a printer admin
global group. These solutions don't make any sense to us and we would like
to get to the root of the problem.

I realize that 1863 is for Messenger, which is why we were blocking it on the
router. Apparently it is also used for something else which is preventing
the user from logging in without having that port open.