Sign in with
Your question

LGA 1156 kids get their $300 unlocked cpu while 1366 gets ?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
June 27, 2010 4:29:03 PM

Why is it that the mainstream 1156 crowd only has to pay $300 for an unlocked i7 that is BETTER than the i7 920, 930, 940, 950, and 960 processors which are ALL more expensive?

Intel just took a giant *** on their loyal 1366 customers by releasing the 875k for the 1156. Now there is virtually no point in getting a 1366 board unless you plan on buying a $1000 980x.

More about : lga 1156 kids 300 unlocked cpu 1366

a c 83 à CPUs
June 27, 2010 5:18:50 PM

I wouldn't call the unlocked I7 for socket 1156 better than the I7's on 1366, it's still the same as the old I7 8XX series vs I7 9XX series. It doesn't magically overclock higher, it's just easy to overclock with the unlocked multiplier.

Besides, 1366 has access to Xeons, including 32nm quads, something your socket 1156 doesn't have.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2010 6:31:28 PM

That's why I went AMD. My mobo supports 178 different CPUs.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2010 6:35:02 PM

loneninja said:
I wouldn't call the unlocked I7 for socket 1156 better than the I7's on 1366, it's still the same as the old I7 8XX series vs I7 9XX series. It doesn't magically overclock higher, it's just easy to overclock with the unlocked multiplier.

Besides, 1366 has access to Xeons, including 32nm quads, something your socket 1156 doesn't have.

Not to mention 32 number of X16 PCIe lanes for 1366.
m
l
June 27, 2010 10:20:31 PM

Quote:
They released it because 1156 is MAINSTREAM. 1366 is high end and doesn't get special treatment. Pony up for a Gulftown and stop bitching.

That makes no sense at all... 1366 doesn't get "special treatment" even though they payed hundreds of dollars more for their setup??? I just don't understand why intel would do this... most people who own 1366 motherboards either have 920's or 930's in them and intel comes out with a better cpu that is only available if you downgrade your platform.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 12:48:27 AM

Just because its unlocked, doesn't mean its better. It just means noobs like you can overclock easier in theory.

If you want to have the best, pony up for a 980x, otherwise quit bitching.

1366 as quite a bit to offer over 1156.

Try running both your GTX's on 1156, see how well that works for ya.
m
l
June 28, 2010 1:14:13 AM

daship said:
Just because its unlocked, doesn't mean its better. It just means noobs like you can overclock easier in theory.

If you want to have the best, pony up for a 980x, otherwise quit bitching.

1366 as quite a bit to offer over 1156.

Try running both your GTX's on 1156, see how well that works for ya.

Ha Ha well no matter how good of an overclocker you are an unlocked cpu will always have the potential to go higher than a non extreme. Most people who have an extreme can get theirs running at 5GHz+ no problem whereas a person with a normal locked i7 would be lucky to get theirs past 4.2GHz.
m
l
June 28, 2010 1:24:39 AM

mosox said:
That's why I went AMD. My mobo supports 178 different CPUs.

^^^
Best answer.

But really, they probably did it so more people do NOT have to spend more money on a 1366 board just to get better performance.
Poor choice no matter what they say/said to justify for their 1366 customers.

That looks like a great cpu though, next time I can afford an intel system (which is never), I'd probably choose that over a more expensive 1366 board and not as powerful processor.

Intel killed their 1366 market IMO.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 7:24:53 AM

No the LGA 1366 isn't dead, there are rumors that a higher clocked Gulftown 990x is coming, though its going to cost 1000$, but there is, according to some reports, a six core i7 970 coming at the price of the current i7 950 quad core and there are some reports that the price of the i7 950 is going to be dropped to 300$, which might mean that price of the i7 920 and 930 might also drop.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 9:19:04 AM

Hmmmmmmm, what a SOUR smell!

Double 16X PCIE lane is useless even for a pair of HD5870. Most LGA1366 owners brag out it without even have money to get ONE HD5870, not mention to a pair.
Man oh man, stop calling yourself an enthusiast while you don't even have the best(e.g. i7-980X).

6-core CPU supported on LGA1366? who would need it?! I could just invest the money on a better GFX instead to beat 6-core system by 10fps+ in games.

In conclusion, LGA1366 costs more for less unless you can afford 2x HD5970. IMO, only fools would go LGA1366 route after LGA1156's release.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 12:39:23 PM

andy5174 said:
6-core CPU supported on LGA1366? who would need it?! I could just invest the money on a better GFX instead to beat 6-core system by 10fps+ in games.

I do.

Not all of us play games y'know. Enjoy your 10 extra fps while my Gulftown pisses through all my rendering and encoding - getting jobs done faster has saved/made me enough money to pay for the premium already.

m
l
June 28, 2010 12:42:53 PM

Tamz_msc said:
No the LGA 1366 isn't dead, there are rumors that a higher clocked Gulftown 990x is coming, though its going to cost 1000$, but there is, according to some reports, a six core i7 970 coming at the price of the current i7 950 quad core and there are some reports that the price of the i7 950 is going to be dropped to 300$, which might mean that price of the i7 920 and 930 might also drop.

"There are rumors", shure....
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 12:55:27 PM

Why would you expect cheap CPUs on a workstation/server platform?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 1:09:12 PM

Dude, before you start blowing fumes over some perceived rip-off, get your facts straight - the i7 920 and the i7 930 are CHEAPER than the i7 800 series.

Also, where do you get the bizarre notion that an unlocked multiplier directly means a better chip? It's nothing more than a chip intended to be "extreme" will be the best quality silicon, so CPUs with unlocked multipliers perform better because they are of higher quality, not because they're unlocked.

Intel could release a "uber-reliable" range that uses the exact same binning as Extreme editions with locked multipliers that would overclock just as well. Look at Nehalem-based Xeon chips - they're better-quality silicon because of the reliability needed in servers, but other than a second QPI they're no different to i7 CPUs.

By extension of that point, the "K" series aren't guaranteed to overclock any better because for their cheap price they will not have been binned to ensure top-quality silicon.

Besides, it's not like it's hard to overclock Nehalem anyway - unlocked multipliers just make it even easier (and arguably less efficient). And if you're buying X58 platform then either:

a: you have more money than brains so you won't care that Intel didn't do non-Extreme unlocked CPUs
b: aren't interested in overclocking and wanted the best at stock so you won't care that Intel didn't do non-Extreme unlocked CPUs
c: are into overclocking and bought an Extreme CPU so you won't care that Intel didn't do non-Extreme unlocked CPUs
d: are into overclocking and can do so with the BCLK and UnCore dance so you won't care that Intel didn't do non-Extreme unlocked CPUs

i.e. there IS no issue.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 2:53:15 PM

LePhuronn said:
I do.

Not all of us play games y'know. Enjoy your 10 extra fps while my Gulftown pisses through all my rendering and encoding - getting jobs done faster has saved/made me enough money to pay for the premium already.

Of course.

However, most of us don't do what you do. We don't stay in your little group.

a. You don't even have the chance to test if non-extreme unlocked CPU is better and I doubt your IQ would allow you if you can.
b. have much more money than IQ and EQ so that you don't care overclocking and wanted best at stock as AMD fanboys.
c. are into cheap overclocking and don't want to pay 1k+ for an Extreme CPU so you do care if there is a non-extreme unlocked CPU.
d. are into CHEAP, EASY overclocking and don't want to spend many hours in playing with the BCLK and UnCore so you do care if there is a non-extreme unlocked CPU.
e. want to show off your ignorance so you speak here.

THERE IS nooooooo ISSUE WITH YOUR BRAIN AT ALL! ABSOLUTELY NO! i am serious
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 2:59:45 PM

andy5174 said:

Oh, if only I had a "little group" I could be a part of...would never have needed to go against my principles and pay a grand for a CPU if I could've shared the load with other people.

Dunno why you're jumping on me though for merely countering your point that some people actually make use of 6 cores.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 3:17:29 PM

LePhuronn said:
Oh, if only I had a "little group" I could be a part of...would never have needed to go against my principles and pay a grand for a CPU if I could've shared the load with other people.

Dunno why you're jumping on me though for merely countering your point that some people actually make use of 6 cores.

This is a forum. We don't need opinions only suit few peoples. ALL WE NEED ARE OPINIONS THAT ARE general.
If your opinion is not general, keep it for yourself alone.

I don't understand why you always want to force others to do everything in your way. LIKE CAPITAL LETTERS HABITS. Psychiatrists aren't there for nothing.

Here is a psychological test:
http://www.healthyplace.com/psychological-tests/
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 3:33:44 PM

Fine, whatever - you want to question my intelligence yet turn this into a slagging match (truly the mark of the intelligent - nice hypocrisy there) then be my f*cking guest. I have no idea what's p*ssed you off today, but it seems it's pretty major and obviously excuse enough to resort to personal attacks instead of offering counter-points.

Oh, and a forum is a place for discussion, not blindly offering sheep-like repetition that follow the general consensus - you want that, go to an Apple site. And as a general opinion that you so crave, anybody in general who does intensive media work would benefit from a 6-core.

Happy now?

And since the when the f*ck did I ever "force" anybody to do anything my way? And I'm not sure what capital letter habit you're referring to but I've only ever capitalised acronyms (as is correct to do so) and made a single point of emphasis.

While you're at it, why don't you go jump down PsychoSaysDie's throat for his mildly caustic reply, or daship for calling the OP a noob? Or am I just truly honoured to be singled out for your deliciously eloquent remarks?

Now between your random attacks and my resulting defensiveness, this thread has gone totally off track, if it was ever truly there to begin with...
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 3:40:30 PM

There will be much less flame war if you can stay quiet and don't criticize others habits or so in the forum. Didn't you notice that I tried very hard to ignore you in the last 2 months? Ignore me and leave me alone too. It would be good to both of us.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 4:31:09 PM

End it now fellas!
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2010 12:41:41 AM

andy5174 said:

The OP did not mention gaming, therefore what "most of us" do is irrelevant. You made sweeping statements which are factually inaccurate and you seem to misunderstand the purpose of a forum. AMDZone is where you go if you want a one-sided discussion where all the opinions are "general."

Now both of you just stop arguing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2010 1:34:46 AM

ehanger said:
Ha Ha well no matter how good of an overclocker you are an unlocked cpu will always have the potential to go higher than a non extreme. Most people who have an extreme can get theirs running at 5GHz+ no problem whereas a person with a normal locked i7 would be lucky to get theirs past 4.2GHz.

1) As the owner of a 965 extreme, I have to say that this is bogus. The 975s do a bit better, but 5GHz+ is in the realm where you need subambient cooling for most chips, even the extremes.

2) Part of the higher overclocks with an extreme is the fact that they are higher binned chips. This has very little to do with the unlocked multiplier. It's true that for the absolute highest overclocks on LN2 or phase change, you need an unlocked multiplier, but for even the most extreme air or water setups, it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

Honestly, the 930 and 960 are great chips, and you shouldn't discount their ability just because they have a locked multiplier. Personally, I'd take them any day over the unlocked 1156 chips.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2010 2:27:29 PM

Tamz_msc said:

ooo, YES, and even more expensive waste of 6 cores! and really?! the i7 970 will only be 2x more expensive than what it needs to be??? and intel did do something a bit dumb, but it really doesnt matter. just because its unlocked doesnt make it faster, until you oc it. a 930 is still cheaper, even factoring in 6 gigs of ram maybe. so people stop whining, either swtich to amd, who will likely screw you at some point, or keep what cpu you have, and dont be jealous of a new cpu. if it makes u feel any better, intel is likely gonna screw you all again in about a year with the release of 1365 and 1155. intel needs to release a good quad core, preferably at 32 nm manufacturing and quit it with the 6 core 1000$ madness.
m
l
a c 901 à CPUs
June 29, 2010 3:40:28 PM

They did it to compete with AMD's black editions. Granted not on performance but on perception. The DIY person that can build but knows nothing about hardware other than Intel is better currently than AMD will see unlocked multiplier that does not cost $1k+ and grab it over an unlocked AMD that they would have otherwise bought. From what I understand, these chips are not specially binned chips like the Extreme Editions. They are just regular chips with the multiplier unlocked. I would not mind one of these chips but, for the price, it is not a reasonable upgrade over my i5 750.
m
l
!