Sign in with
Your question

Dying or Inadequate PSU?

Last response: in Components
June 27, 2010 4:47:05 PM

I think I may need to get a new PSU, but before I order one I'd like to get a second opinion.

My specs:

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-D-B 750W
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
AMD Phenom II X4 965 rev. C2 (140w)
2x A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
2x 500GB WD Caviar Blue
Radeon HD 5850
SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer

This is a new build and I've been having a slew of problems with it after I upgraded. I initially only had one set of the ram kit (2x 2GB) and a 320MB 8800GTS which were upgraded with an additonal memory kit and a 5870.

My system hangs, BSOD's, or restarts, or even completely shuts down when under heavy system load (I.E. gaming or running stress tests like Prime95). System hangs after maybe 5 seconds running Prime95. Occasionally there will be a continuous high-pitched noise coming from my speakers, but I'll still be able to perform tasks or other times it will hang. After a series of crashes my system won't POST or will hang in bios or in mid boot.

I have done no overclocking and have actually underclocked my RAM from DDR3 1600 down to 1066 MHz with 7-7-7-20 timings because my CPU's IMC supposedly can't handle 4 sticks clocked at 1333 MHz very well. I've tested all sticks in memtest86+ individually, in single and dual channel with no errors. I only had one time where it would produce errors and it was after a series of system crashes and had 16 errors within the first 2 mins, but that was the only case in which I had errors.

The problems seem to dissipate for a while when I disconnect my PSU's mains and re-seat the hardware on my motherboard.

I really hope the PSU is the culprit, being that it's the cheapest component to replace. -prays-

More about : dying inadequate psu

a b ) Power supply
June 27, 2010 6:39:26 PM

Does sound like a classic PSU problem. You'd do well to get a new one & of a reputed brand, this time.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 27, 2010 7:44:45 PM

While that PSU is toward the bottom of the todum pole and I WOULD replace it, it's not a given that it is the problem (Good bet, but not absolute).

Prime95 is a better test for cpu/mem errors while in windows than memtest. I always use memtest boot disk prior to loading operating system, or after changing memory, then recheck in windows using Prime95.

How do your voltages look +5 and +12V. Compare idle vs load. If your Idle +12V is good, but drops significantly when loaded (ie 12V reads 12.1V at idle but drops to 11.5 when loaded then the PSU is a very good possibility. Hows temperatures look.

Can use CPUIDs HWMonitor program, will display current, min and max values.
m
l
June 28, 2010 10:45:20 PM

Interesting update:

I was doing some very light "computing" last night (chatting and reading the news) and there was a very loud noise that came out of my speakers that sounded similar to thunder when there was no other sounds or music being played from some other application. Shortly after that my PC BSOD'd and failed to POST after the reset until I removed my sound card.

Could it be that this is the source of all my problems or just bad luck? I remember a similar thunderous sound accompanying the BSOD's in the past. The audio ports that are soldered to the sound card's board appeared to be rusted over and the PCI connectors seem to have suffered from some wear from being reseated several times (The card is nearly 3 years-old).

Here's a picture of it.
http://i48.tinypic.com/33ze8b8.jpg

My system has been rock stable since I removed my X-Fi, but now I have to deal with inferior onboard audio for the time being. -sigh-
m
l
July 6, 2010 1:50:44 AM

Well, I bought and installed a Corsair TX 750 today and the problems still persist.

I'm beginning to think it's either my ram or mobo. Two of my sticks are now dead. Is it possible for a "bad motherboard" to damage ram?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 6, 2010 2:48:27 AM

well that rules out the psu being bad. at least...
m
l
July 7, 2010 3:14:10 PM

I've tried different RAM to no avail. I'm now suspecting my CPU's IMC is going bad so I ordered a new CPU. I'll be back with results in a few days.
m
l
July 16, 2010 8:25:42 PM

Turns out it was the cpu. All the issues have disappeared after installing the new cpu. I'm glad this nightmare is over.
m
l
!