Sign in with
Your question

Home build Compare with this Prebuilt

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 20, 2010 12:43:40 AM

Hi guys, which computer is better for some casual gaming? Mostly just gonna play some WoW on it. Gonna buy something tonight. Sorry for not following guidelines, got too much work to do.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

or my homebuilt here

CPU/HSF: AMD X4 955 and Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $194
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $85 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $120
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $90
Case: Coolermaster 690 $70
PSU/GPU: Antec Earthwatts 650W and HD 5770 $223

$789

Apologies for no links

Only considering other computer for 8gb of ram and intel i5.

More about : home build compare prebuilt

April 20, 2010 2:58:38 PM

I go for home build.
Reasons :

1. You don't know what they put inside the system. What kind of quality for mobo, PSU and other things. If you build them yourself, you know the components very well. Moreover, you have chosen first class quality components.

2. If you build it yourself, you gain extra knowledge and experience. This knowledge is very valuable. I can earn extra money from building new rigs for my friends, neighbour, or relatives who don't know anything about computer.

m
l
April 20, 2010 3:09:41 PM

Another reason not to get the pre-built is that more than 4 GB of RAM doesn't do anything for gaming. Maybe if you're also doing audio/video/photo editing, it might be useful, but that doesn't sound like it's in the plan.

The difference between a 955 and an i5 isn't significant enough to take a gamble on the other components. At any reasonable resolution, they're going to perform within a couple percent of each other.

Your build looks pretty good, assuming you're not gaming at 1920xNNNN. Don't forget to get an OS with the build.
m
l
April 20, 2010 3:12:23 PM

Yup, homebuilt wins the vote here too for all the reasons Guanyu stated, you seem clued up enough to find decent components, theres only satisfaction to be had from building it yourself, Plus you have a free techline right here in the community :) 
m
l
!