New budget build recycling some parts

shotgunwinner

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hello,

I want to upgrade my PC to better play games, as it is struggling a lot at the moment. I dont want to specify a certain budget , because I would want the best options from a few budget ranges.

My current pc is :
CPU : Intel Celeron D 3.33Ghz @ 4.33Ghz
Mobo : Asus P5L-MX
VGA : Gigabyte OC 8800GT
PSU : Corsair VX550W
RAM : 2GB DDR2 ( not sure of speed )

The way I see it my best option is to upgrade the CPU / Mobo / Ram now and the GPU in the future. I am playing on 1280x1024 and Im pretty sure the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU , thus the new cpu combo will boost fps, even by a low amount.

As I said I would like to continue using my graphics card and also my PSU, as I think its a good one and 550W could handle the future components.

I am looking forward to your opinions, for different cpu/mobo/ram bundles that would last a while, or even another way to go if its the best option.

Thank you

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Given that resolution (& assuming you won't upgrade to a better display) I wouldn't spend more than $150 for the CPU + Mobo. I wouldn't even bother with DDR3 RAM, but stick to your current one.
Do you want to stick with Intel or go the AMD way? Assuming you keep your DDR2, for Intel, you'll have to get the C2D+say P41 mobo. You could get an AM3 CPU if you want AMD.
Please give us your budget so that we could give more exact recommendations.

Really depends on your budget and what you plan on keeping from the old system -- Do you want a new case\mouse\keyboard\speakers\HDD\DVD drive ? - are you reusing the copy of windows OS or upgrading it also (does the version you have allow reuse or is it OEM) ? - What games do you want to play ? - Do you plan on getting a new monitor before the next upgrade cycle? - Do you have a preference in CPU's, GPUs, MOBOs, RAM -- etc. etc. etc. Could pull options based on guessing but that is kind of a waste of time if you can't afford or do not want specific parts so need more info in order to give an informed opinion on whats best.

shotgunwinner

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
To ksampanna:

I would like to have a system capable of playing games well for a few years. I will probably get a 1080p monitor + graphics card in a couple of months so I would like this system to be on par then. Otherwise, yes, I have looked into buying just a C2D cpu, but that just seems like a waste, considering how outdated it is.
I like Intel, but wouldnt mind going AMD. As I said above I dont have a definite budget , thats why I would like to have a few bundle (cpu+mobo+ram) options from different price ranges.

To JDFan:

I will reuse all my other old components ( hdd,dvd, speakers, mouse, keyboard,case) also my copy of Windows will do fine. Yes , as I said above I plan to get a new monitor. As far as preference goes, I dont really have any as long as Im buying from good and established brands.

For example I think that for a low budget a AMD Athlon X3 bundle will be ok. And for a medium budget an i5-750 based bundle. Both with 4gb of 1333/1666 ram.
But as I said I would like something which will still be balanced when I upgrade to a new GPU/monitor in a few months.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Budget build:
Athlon II X3 435
ASUS M4A77TDCrucial 4 GB DDR3
Total ~ US $320

Mainstream:
Intel i5-750
Gigabyte GA P55A UD3
Crucial 4 GB DDR3
Total ~ US $450

Enthusiast:
Intel i7-930
Gigabyte GA X58A UD3R
Crucial 6 GB
Total ~ US $650

shotgunwinner

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Well its just that you specified exactly which processor and exactly which mobo. So I just wanted to be sure what sort of ram, what speed and timings is appropriate.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Well, RAM is the last component you have to worry about. Just about any DDR3 module will work, you just have to select the capacity according to your requirement. Gskill, Crucial, OCZ, Kingston, Corsair, all of them are cool.