Your question

Long Term Home PC

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 20, 2010 12:51:12 AM

First time poster - I'm a noob - and I've been reading a lot of the forums trying to get a handle on build my first PC. Let me start by thanking everyone - whether you post to my thread or not - for all the info shared. It's huge help!

I'm looking to build a PC for long-term use at my house. My current PC is a Dell Inspiron 2.8GHz Pentium 4 that I purchased in 2003 that currently multi-boots XP, UBuntu and LinuxMint. It's going to the kids. Seriously, I want this to be top of the line today so that I can upgrade and modify with enhanced parts over the next few years. I tore down and rebuilt the Dell in 2007 and like keeping things running for a good long while.

I'd like something QUIET and that doesn't have a lot of exterior LED's or lights. This PC will go in my home office which adjoins the masterbedroom -so keeping things quiet and without lights helps at night.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month or next

BUDGET RANGE: $1,200 - $1,500

SYSTEM USAGE MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
MS office / Open Office applications, multimedia, watching movies, potentially as an HTPC, photo editing, audio and video file conversion (from time to time) and general web browsing. Games may be played sporadically.

PREFERRED WEBSITES: Newegg, I've used Tiger Direct before and have liked them too.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel, Nvidia, Seagate - also open to suggestions

OVERCLOCKING: Interested, but first priority is to get a working, stable machine, then I'll look into overclocking

SLI or CROSSFIRE: Not today, but want the option in the future

MONITOR & RESOLUTION: Have a 24" widescreen, 1920 x 1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Windows 7 OS, may dual-boot with Ubuntu (or Mythbuntu or other Linux OS)

Here's the list of components - please critique

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

On the motherboard, is there an advantage going with the UD5 or UD7 versions of this Gigabyte board?

Processor: Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz

Hard Drive (Boot): Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC SSD

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

Optical: TBD,
I want something that plays Blue-Ray, burns both single and dual layer DVD, and CD, I've got an old DVD laying around and I can swap out a unit from the current PC that does everything except BlueRay.

Case (option 1): COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

-OR-

Case (Option 2): Broadway Com Corp R-810 Black thick Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CPU Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Graphic Card (option 1):
EVGA 01G-P3-N981-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

-OR-

Graphic Card (option 2): EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I've got to network together a 2TB NAS (ReadyNAS), a netbook, work laptop(s), plus run audio to the downstairs home stereo via the network - any suggestions on which is the better OS to accomplish all of this? Also want to run older 32 bit applications.

More about : long term home

April 20, 2010 8:53:07 AM

ykaeric said:
First time poster - I'm a noob - and I've been reading a lot of the forums trying to get a handle on build my first PC. Let me start by thanking everyone - whether you post to my thread or not - for all the info shared. It's huge help!

I'm looking to build a PC for long-term use at my house. My current PC is a Dell Inspiron 2.8GHz Pentium 4 that I purchased in 2003 that currently multi-boots XP, UBuntu and LinuxMint. It's going to the kids. Seriously, I want this to be top of the line today so that I can upgrade and modify with enhanced parts over the next few years. I tore down and rebuilt the Dell in 2007 and like keeping things running for a good long while.

I'd like something QUIET and that doesn't have a lot of exterior LED's or lights. This PC will go in my home office which adjoins the masterbedroom -so keeping things quiet and without lights helps at night.

MS office / Open Office applications, multimedia, watching movies, potentially as an HTPC, photo editing, audio and video file conversion (from time to time) and general web browsing. Games may be played sporadically.

PREFERRED WEBSITES: Newegg, I've used Tiger Direct before and have liked them too.

OVERCLOCKING: Interested, but first priority is to get a working, stable machine, then I'll look into overclocking

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Windows 7 OS, may dual-boot with Ubuntu (or Mythbuntu or other Linux OS)

On the motherboard, is there an advantage going with the UD5 or UD7 versions of this Gigabyte board?

Hard Drive (Boot): Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC SSD

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

I want something that plays Blue-Ray, burns both single and dual layer DVD, and CD, I've got an old DVD laying around and I can swap out a unit from the current PC that does everything except BlueRay.

Case (option 1): COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

-OR-

Case (Option 2): Broadway Com Corp R-810 Black thick Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CPU Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Graphic Card (option 1):
EVGA 01G-P3-N981-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

-OR-

Graphic Card (option 2): EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I've got to network together a 2TB NAS (ReadyNAS), a netbook, work laptop(s), plus run audio to the downstairs home stereo via the network - any suggestions on which is the better OS to accomplish all of this? Also want to run older 32 bit applications.

Looks good. Uh wow, not alot of suggestions. The HSF might be overkill, but you did mention you might consider OC later on, and it's obvious you know how to work on computers so thats a fine HSF. I personally would go with an ATI Radeon 5770 GPU, it's not super powered, but it's definately a step above what you've listed and they only cost about $150.

It's pretty obvious you've been surfing these forums, you have a pretty solid and cookie cutter build with all the right manufacturers(cookie cutter isnt bad to say the least)

I would pick the Cooler Master case over the other option, simply because I know Cooler Masters make good cases, I have no experience with Broadway Com?

Like I've said twice before, nice build!
m
l
Related resources
April 20, 2010 9:32:34 AM

and yes the first blue case can have its lights turned off. :D 
m
l
April 20, 2010 2:13:11 PM

ykaeric said:

-OR-

Power Supply:

Graphic Card (option 1):

-OR-

You've already done the hard work!
The only thing i'd suggest is get the Radeon 5770 instead of the 9800GT or 250gts. Considering that you'r planning 2 use it as an htpc, the Radeon will give you additional video transcoding capabilities as well as ability to bitstream 5.1 channel sound. Also get a min 1 TB HDD. Seagate / WD / Samsung are good.
Rest is great. Good luck & have fun!!
m
l
April 20, 2010 9:55:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

I've pulled the trigger on the parts. I changed the case to the Cooler Master Haf per Eg Lawns recommendation. And got the ATI Radeon 5770 per cmcghee358's recommendation.

Looking forward to digging in on the build this weekend.

Thanks!
m
l
December 14, 2010 3:06:49 PM

Long time to respond, but just wanted to thank you all for your advice and input on the build. It's working great and more than exceeds my expectations.

The only problem I've found is that the Gigabyte MB occassionally looses 2GB of RAM. I've researched the issue and apparently this is a known issue with this MB. Some have permanently defective RAM slots, others have intermittently defective slots.

I've got it reading all 6GB of RAM now. On my specific MB there was an issue with having the CPU cooler neither over or under tightened to the MB.

Other than that, everything is perfect!
m
l
!