Reuse Antec Plus 1080?

harriw

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Hi folks,

I've got an old Antec Plus 1080 file server case from ~2002 that I've kept my "main" PC (several different builds) in since, well, 2002! If the name doesn't ring a bell, you can see it here: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/reviews/Cases/Antec_Plus_1080/. I'm starting to plan a new build now, and am wondering if this old friend of mine will still make the trip with regard to cooling and airflow with these new high powered multi-core processors available now. I know cases are cheap, but I have this one (every $ counts), and really love it: it's nice and big with lots of room inside, plenty of drive bays, a well thought-out and easy-to-use mounting system, etc., and I still find it quite attractive. I've got 2 x 80mm fans blowing out the back, 2 x 80mm fans blowing in the front, and one more 80mm fan on the side panel that's situated roughly over the PCI slots (blowing in, I believe, to pull outside air over the graphics card, etc.). And of course, the PS fan up top.

So, do you folks think this is sufficient to handle modern insides? Nothing's decided of course, but I'm leaning towards a Phenom II x4 setup (mainly based on performance per dollar) with a mid-to-high end graphics card. I expect this will all be air-cooled (liquid would be fun, but I don't think I can justify the expense). I will be upgrading the 430W PS that came with this case to something in the 1kW range (in the hopes that it'll last another 10 years). The original PS has served me well for years, but won't handle both the new CUP and GPU.

As for usage, I do a fair amount of gaming, but this also serves as the main family PC so it handles lots of family photos and videos, web browsing, MS office, paying the bills, etc.

Thanks a lot for any input!

-Bill

Solution
Hey i too use a similar case (antec performance one 1080 B) with just a single 120 mm fan at the back for exhaust purposes.. Thinking of upgrading to a cooler master sniper.. Although the reason for upgrade is purely aesthetics and more functionality.. Am aware that the cooling is also better but my present case has never given me any heat troubles.. BTW, your setup must be noisy with so many 80 mm fans.! Upgrading to high CFM (and lower RPM also) 120 mm fans will definitely improve cooling and bring the noise down also.. Although am not sure how much difference side fan(s) will make.. May be you can do without them..
You may able to use it, but it would help cooling and airflow to change the 80mm side fan to a 120mm intake (expand the hole), and maybe replace the 80mms in the lower front with another 120mm intake fan. We did those mods to a similar case my son uses with a Pentium D - which runs hotter than the newer CPUs

Hey i too use a similar case (antec performance one 1080 B) with just a single 120 mm fan at the back for exhaust purposes.. Thinking of upgrading to a cooler master sniper.. Although the reason for upgrade is purely aesthetics and more functionality.. Am aware that the cooling is also better but my present case has never given me any heat troubles.. BTW, your setup must be noisy with so many 80 mm fans.! Upgrading to high CFM (and lower RPM also) 120 mm fans will definitely improve cooling and bring the noise down also.. Although am not sure how much difference side fan(s) will make.. May be you can do without them..

Solution