Digital Photos Direct to HDD

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
December 6, 2004 4:58:06 PM

I am not a professional, I wouldn't even consider myself a decent amatuer so
plase go easy on me.

I own a Kodak DC220 Digital. My wife is a school teacher and each year, one
of the clubs on campus offers pics with Santa for the holidays. Up until
recently they have been using an instant camera, but this year they want to
try my digital.

Original plan, use the DC220 to take the pics, copy the pics from the CFCard
to a CD, take the CD to Sam's and have the pics printed. They have done the
math and this comes out MUCH cheaper than the instant camera.

In the past I have seen software that would control your camera and allow
you to take Pics from the PC and save the pic directly to your HDD. Anyone
know if something like this is available for the Kodak?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 4:58:07 PM

"rscowboy" <rscowboy@NO.spam.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I am not a professional, I wouldn't even consider myself a decent amatuer
so
> plase go easy on me.
>
> I own a Kodak DC220 Digital. My wife is a school teacher and each year,
one
> of the clubs on campus offers pics with Santa for the holidays. Up until
> recently they have been using an instant camera, but this year they want
> try my digital.
>
> Original plan, use the DC220 to take the pics, copy the pics from the
CFCard
> to a CD, take the CD to Sam's and have the pics printed. They have done
the
> math and this comes out MUCH cheaper than the instant camera.
>
> In the past I have seen software that would control your camera and allow
> you to take Pics from the PC and save the pic directly to your HDD.
Anyone
> know if something like this is available for the Kodak?

Don't know about your local Sam's club, but many a photo printing place can
print directly from your CF card. Check to see if Sam's club has a card
reader.

Otherwise do you normally download your photos from camera to your PC? if
so does your PC have a read-write CD drive. If so then you can take the
photos from your camera, and write them directly to a CD using your PC.

> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 6:14:42 PM

I appreciate the replys, but in reading them, I think I may have not been
clear. They aren't wanting to make any changes to the pics once they are
made. This is a simple holiday thing that they do to make a little money
for some of the projects they do around school. Remember, they were using
an instant camera earlier, so based on previous years, the quality of the
print has already increased dramatically.

The only reason I wanted to print direct to HDD was this would allow the
student to put the camera on the tripod, point it at the space that Santa is
sitting in and lock it down. Then go to the PC and just click "Shoot" or
something similar. As it stands with the CF card I have now, they will be
able to get about 80 pics before pulling the CF card and popping in my
laptop, downloading the picks and then putting the card back in to the
camera. That's going to equate into down time for them. I was just trying
to figure out of there was a way to eliminate this for them to make it a
little less complicated.

Once they had taken all their pics, I could drop by and burn all their pics
to a CD and send them on their way.

"rscowboy" <rscowboy@NO.spam.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I am not a professional, I wouldn't even consider myself a decent amatuer
so
> plase go easy on me.
>
> I own a Kodak DC220 Digital. My wife is a school teacher and each year,
one
> of the clubs on campus offers pics with Santa for the holidays. Up until
> recently they have been using an instant camera, but this year they want
> try my digital.
>
> Original plan, use the DC220 to take the pics, copy the pics from the
CFCard
> to a CD, take the CD to Sam's and have the pics printed. They have done
the
> math and this comes out MUCH cheaper than the instant camera.
>
> In the past I have seen software that would control your camera and allow
> you to take Pics from the PC and save the pic directly to your HDD.
Anyone
> know if something like this is available for the Kodak?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Related resources
December 7, 2004 12:01:43 AM

"rscowboy" <rscowboy@NO.spam.bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Original plan, use the DC220 to take the pics, copy the pics from the
CFCard
> to a CD, take the CD to Sam's and have the pics printed.

1: Have you thought about doing some minor tweaking, such as auto
enhancement, brightness/contrast, sharpening, etc? If you have a Kodak
camera, you probably have EasyShare software. If you will take the trouble
of first downloading the pictures to your computer, than tweaking them in
EasyShare, you will end up with much improved images.

2: Then burn them to CD and take the CD to whomever your choice is for
printing.

3: You could also upload them, via EasyShare, to OFOTO (Kodak's online
subsidiary) and they will print them in whatever quantity you want and mail
them to you. These are made on actual photo print paper, just like
traditional film prints, and are superior to inkjet prints, in my opinion.

4: You can also get a free online album at OFOTO, and the parents can order
whatever they want, to be mailed directly to them in whatever sizes and
quantities they want. All you have to do is to give them the web address,
and they can take it from there, billing their orders to their own credit
cards. Check out www.ofoto.com for more on this.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:29:41 AM

> As it stands with the CF card I have now, they will be
> able to get about 80 pics before pulling the CF card and popping in my
> laptop, downloading the picks and then putting the card back in to the
> camera. That's going to equate into down time for them.

Yes, it will. That's why most shooters have at least two cards - swap, set
one to download, keep shooting.

Further, you seem to be using a fairly small card. CF media is very, very
cheap these days, especially when you are buying for an older camera that
won't take advantage of expensive high-speed cards.

In direct answer to your question, I believe you need to look in your
manual. The DC220 allegedly comes with remote control software.
!