Your question

Your advice please

Last response: in Components
June 27, 2010 8:58:02 PM

Hi All
I wanted to know if my psu can run my system. My system is:

Core i7 920 D0 (not overclocked)
MSI X58 pro-e
6gb OCZ DDR3 1333 platinum Edition (not overclocked)
Nvidia 9800gtx+ (not overclocked)
LG Blu-Ray Drive (SATA)
HP DVD Writer (ide)
1x80gb western digital HDD 7200rpm (SATA)
1x320gb Seagate 7200rpm (SATA)
Pinnacle 7010ix Quad tv tuner

Can my psu run the above mentioned system? my psu is Corsair CX400.
Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks

More about : advice

June 27, 2010 9:05:57 PM

That's not quite enough power for this system. At full load, I calculated that your system draws just under 500W. You'll need to get a bit beefier of a PSU to run said system.
Related resources
June 27, 2010 9:23:30 PM

rolli59 said:
I get 363watts recommended using http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Hi
Thanks for your reply
thats strange because when i use corsair's calculator, they recommend me to use their vx450. in their calculator i select core i7 (900 series), nvidia 9800gtx, and 2 hdd.
but do u guys think that it will be safe to run this system on my current psu? at the end of the day it is corsair and the requirement is a little more and this more isnt due to lack of amps but just shear wattage. what do u guys say?
a c 667 ) Power supply
June 27, 2010 9:30:49 PM

lordszone said:
Hi
Thanks for your reply
thats strange because when i use corsair's calculator, they recommend me to use their vx450. in their calculator i select core i7 (900 series), nvidia 9800gtx, and 2 hdd.
but do u guys think that it will be safe to run this system on my current psu? at the end of the day it is corsair and the requirement is a little more and this more isnt due to lack of amps but just shear wattage. what do u guys say?

I would as well recommend a bigger PSU than I got in the calculator but the extreme one allows you to be more specific than the Corsair. Like you can add usb devices what type of HDD and so on.
June 27, 2010 9:34:15 PM

rolli59 said:
I would as well recommend a bigger PSU than I got in the calculator but the extreme one allows you to be more specific than the Corsair. Like you can add usb devices what type of HDD and so on.

Hi
Yeah i understand that i need atleast a 500W psu to have a little room for add on cards and stuff. but i recently got this corsair 400W really cheap and and out of budget. so was thinking if this psu can run the system because if i upgrade then i will surely go for a corsair tx950 and for that i need some time to save up money and till then i dont know if this psu can last. I dont want this expensive system do bhaaam when i power it up.
a c 667 ) Power supply
June 27, 2010 11:59:59 PM

It is either going to power on or not. I think it is going to run on the corsair since it has a better +12 volt rail than many bigger PSU's.
a c 91 ) Power supply
June 28, 2010 1:44:42 AM

Even if its going to run, the PSU will operate with 90% and above load most of the time which is never recommended.. And moreover, it restricts you to have any upgrade planned or unplanned in the future.. You should seriouslly give a second thought to your choice.. I'll recommend a corsair VX 550 watt PSU.. Afterall, peace of mind is worth a million..
!