GTX480 / GTX470 Reviews and Discussion

randomizer

Champion

G

Lol @ AnandTech--> we would strongly consider getting a lifetime warranty for the GTX 480 to hedge our bets.

jennyh

Splendid
Worse fail than I ever imagined.

I truly believed that the gtx480 would be 20% faster, but loud and hot. But it's just loud and hot?

Ah, tbh if you were 'lucky' enough to get one then you got the worlds fastest single gpu card. If you are deaf then you got a bit luckier still :D

It is a pig of a card, but it's a fast pig so it's not a complete disaster. My hope is more Nvidia fanboys realise their futility in supporting this company, and ATI get many more buyers because of it. That way, we all win - except Nvidia, but they don't deserve anything.

G

Jesus, sounds like a Helicopter ready to a fligh, especially when the GPU hit 90c.

abdul89

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Nvidia made the biggest mistake ever by giving AMD 6 months to dominate the market with a full range of excellent cards at affordable prices...I expected something far greater from fermi after all the hype around it...I think everyone is a little disappointed deep down inside :)

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Now that we have some official reviews, I have to admit - I am disappointed that so many of the rumors from the past couple of months have turned out to be true. Nothing about today's launch came as a surprise - price, specs, performance, availability - it just confirmed a lot of stuff that we already knew, from one source or another.

Even if I am a bit underwhelmed by Nvidia's latest offering, I sincerely hope that Fermi performs in the long run. The best that we can hope for as consumers in the GPU market is strong competition, and seeing Fermi underwhelm so many today is sort of unfortunate. Nvidia may have taken back the single processor crown, but I hope that's enough to push ATI to respond with something great in the next round.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Nvidia had a live blog going during the event at PAX. Seemed pretty impressed with themselves.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Oh, just for kicks:
ASUS ENGTX480/2DI/1536MD5 Geforce GTX 480 Fermi 1536MB GDDR5 PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card Retail - $549
PALIT NE5TX480F09CB Geforce GTX 480 (Fermi Architecture) 1536MB GDDR5 PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card Retail - $529

And they have two others listed, an EVGA for $499 (only one currently listed at MSRP), and a Gigabyte for $600 even.

Somehow, I don't see Fermi cards staying anywhere near their launch price, given the supply issues. Should be interesting to see where prices go once cards actually go on sale.

randomizer

Champion
22218.png

G

YES, thats where it will shine like Folding@Home its 2x faster than the 285.

EDIT: You were faster than me hehe I guess its more than 2x more like 4x. Even though most users buy video cards for games not just Folding. NVidia will make Huge profits in buisness area I guess.Why is Folding@Home not developing 58xx series compatibility?5800 series have to be emulated as a 48xx series to be able to run and its performence is on par with the 48xx series, strange. A DirectCompute or OpenCL Folding client any1?

randomizer

Champion
The GPU3 client is supposed to be released in Q1 2010, but it's running late it seems. It should make a 5870 alot faster than a GTX295, but perhaps not as fast as this. Efficient-wise it would wipe the floor with GF100 though.

xaira

Distinguished
epic fail indeed, but we must not forget that without competition, amd would not likely continuepricing its products so gently, nvidia fanbois, i say if you can afford it, get 1, the company will need alot of support until a fab can put one of these babies on 32/28nm, i am an amd fanboi but i must say im trully disappointedin nvidia, hope nvidia can increase perf and lower power draw soon or we might seethe 6970 for $1000.

Skulpt

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Epic fail for some gamers, but I'm still waiting to see what these cards can do when Premiere CS5 comes out with full support of these cards. Adobe and Nvidia are really pushing Cuda with the next release with a Nvidia specific Mercury Playback Engine.

At the very least, it should push down the 285 price down nicely which will be the entry level card for the engine.

I realize that the 5850 and 5870 will be in many cases the better buy for gamers, but not really for video editors, 3d artists, and so on.

itisravi

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
The only drawback here for Fermi is power consumption. Performance wise there is nothing wrong. The cards perform according to their price.

Multi-GPU configuration would be even better. At $700, GTX 470 SLI should easily outperform 5970. GTX 480 SLI ($1000) should be very close to 5970 quad-crossfire ($1400).

G

All I Gota say is Good Luck :lol:
TDP is so high to a point that its no more a joke, a GTX 480 SLI would require a 1kW PSU,I want som1 to calculate how much $/Day Would the 480SLI power draw?, ~100C Load core, Very High Fan Noise(A Helicopter ready to fly under your feet), you can hear it http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/7