Is my motherboard toast?

FLanighan

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Just got a brand new motherboard (gigabyte H55-S2V socket 1156) and installed a new core i3 540 and new 2GB of OCZ DDR3 ram. When I turn on the computer the fans power up for 4-5 seconds with NO POST and then turns itself off. It automatically repeats this cycle of rebooting until after about 10-15 times it finally remains powered on and boots into windows. Within a few minutes however I get a BSOD. I have taken out the video card, hardrive, and DVD drive leaving only the cpu, motherboard, and ram and I still get the same thing.

My powersupply is OKAY I have used it in another computer just a few days ago with a Q9400 cpu and the same video card (8800GT). It isn't the CPU because I've gotten it to boot into windows a few times. So it must either be the motherboard or RAM. Right now I have it in windows running memtest (surprised it hasn't given me a BSOD yet) and I am at 50% coverage with no errors so far.

Another thing is that the first time I got the machine to POST it gave me a "BIOS checksum error!" message. I bought this board from microcenter yesterday, would I be able to take it into the store for a replacement?