Can\'t format 500gb samsung hard drive in caddy ntfs

russellc_2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I have put a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB drive into a Dynamode 3.5" SATA enclosure. The drive is recognised but always fails to format. Seatools also fails, as does EaseUS Partition Manager. Any suggestions?

RealBeast

Titan
I assume that it will not allow you to create a partition on the drive in disk management to allow a format. If so, the quickest solution would be to just remove the drive from the enclosure, attach it to an empty SATA port, initialize and format it, then reinstall into the enclosure.

russellc_2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Unfortunately my desktop is a bit older and does not have Sata ports to my knowledge, other than that I just have a laptop. The disk is brand new so I am guessing I would have to be pretty unlucky for it to be knackered. I also tried using Ubuntu to format it but it also failed. I am a bit hesitant to ask my mother if I may dismantle her PC! :-D

RealBeast

Titan
I really just need the model of the motherboard -- taking the case cover off might be easier than finding old papers. :)

russellc_2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012
The m/board is a mk8v and does have 2 sata ports. I take it you can run a sata next to an ide and not have to use one standard or the other?

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, you can run a SATA and IDE, just leave your bios boot order on the IDE drive. I would connect it to a SATA port and SATA power connector (unfortunately you may need an adapter molex to sata power) and then go into disk management and initialize (create a partition) and then format. Should work fine in your external case then.

russellc_2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Thanks, I'll have a bash at that over the weekend when I don't need the PC and desk in one piece!

I was a little surprised Linux didn't bully its to doing something windows wouldn't!

Will post how I get on.