Sign in with
Your question

Horrible "windows out of memory" message...

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
December 31, 2010 3:11:58 PM

Ok I know you want me to search through endless threads and posts... but can you please make an exception as I am sure this is different...

so here's the problem:

I use Solidoworks and AutoCad (very intesive 3D stuff). I can get auotcad alone to use about 5 or 6 gb sometimes... i usually have everything else closed...

I get "windows out of memory" when i get up to 2gb. I have tried everything. I have set my prefernces to no paging file. my computer shows 12gb of ram. everything looks ok. this is dell precision t3400 desktop xp 64bit.

should i be freaking out that future shop sold me fake chinese RAM?

please help.
January 5, 2011 6:11:23 PM

anyone?
m
l
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
January 5, 2011 7:29:53 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :) 

Your WS runs Dual Channel and therefore the RAM 'should' be purchased and installed as Matched/BIN Sorted 'sets/pairs' as follows:

ref:
CPU: | 1 | 3 | 2 | 4 | = DIMM Slot numbering.

Set 1 = 1 + 2
Set 2 = 3 + 4

Therefore since you clearly didn't do that, try 2 sticks -> DIMM 1 + 2 and see if it can work with 8GB. Failure, {I don't know your BIOS} if there's a DRAM Voltage -> 1.9~2.1v ; Failure increase the voltage to the memory controller NB Voltage {CPU/VTT ; QPI/DRAM} -> 1.25~1.35v. Often high density RAM requires additional voltage to function properly.

In addition, since I cannot 'find' you Kingston part number 9905316-192.A00LF ; I'll have to assume the RAM is indeed 1.8v.
BIOS:
DRAM Voltage -> 1.9~2.1v
NB Voltage -> 1.25~1.35v

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Preci...
"Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.*"

--
Dell http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/desktops/precn_t3400/pd.a... Dual Channel.
Docs - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/wst3400/e... {User's Guide - see page 158}
m
l
January 5, 2011 9:42:42 PM

zzz144 said:
anyone?

Raises hand... :whistle: 

(And FWIW, I an no Windows expert, but you said "anyone." )

CPUZ seems to show that all 12 GB are recognized.

What version of Windows are you running? Do they still have Task Manager? (Call up with <ctrl><alt><esc> with versions through Vista.) I presume you are running 64 bit Win. Task Manager will tell you what memory is in use. Are the programs also 64 bit? There may be 2 GB limits on tasks or OS resources when dealing with 32 bit stuff.

I doubt that the error message you're seeing reflects a problem with RAM. I would expect that to result in crashes, lockups, otherwise inexplicable errors. Windows pretty much assumes that the RAM is good and will behave very badly if it is not. But it might be wise to test it with memtest86 which is available on any live Linux boot CD.

HTH,
hank
m
l
a b } Memory
January 6, 2011 2:25:54 AM

If I may add, try to reduce the number of "previous versions" of your drawings on Autocad and other CAD programs - In Preferences. This will reduce the demand on installed memory. Also, make sure that your HDD is no more than 70% full at any given time.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 6, 2011 12:02:24 PM

You set preferences to use no paging file... if you mean the windows page file, you may want to set it to default. Although 12gig of ram should be plenty, some apps want the presence of a page file.
m
l
January 6, 2011 10:07:43 PM

Hi Guys,

Ok so you may be talking to a newbie here.

here's some answers:

I am running XP 64 bit with Autocad 64bit and Solidworks 64bit.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3702/60016979.png - please note that this looks good cause i just got sick of autocad and closed it down...

1. how do i reduce the number of previous versions in autocad? where do i find these prefernces? do you mean options under autocad? and which tab?

2. do i really need the paging file - i dont care if outlook or some other non CAD programs halts.

3. my HDD is almost 60% full.

why is it so painful to work in autocad?? sure its a big 3D file but i have plenty of resources...?

I do not see crashes but the whole OS becomes unbearably slow and its not cause of Quad CPU cause i can change the CPU afinity.

Ill play around with the BIOS setings but i really have no clue what im doing there....

how do i get a copy of Memtest? can this be downloaded?

m
l
January 6, 2011 10:37:57 PM

First off, I don't think this is a mobo/RAM problem. I think it is a Windows or application problem. You might have better answers if you asked a mod to move this thread to the Windows XP or Applications areas. (If the problem only happens when you are running Autocad, I'd go for the Applications area or even look for a forum dedicated to Autocad.)

Second, the TaskMan display would probably show more when you are experiencing the problem. The Applications tab might have useful information as well. It would be worth checking the system log to see if there are any messages there.

Google "memtest86+ download" to find it. I don't think that will show you anything but it is worth running to rule out a RAM issue.

Good luck!
m
l
a b } Memory
January 8, 2011 1:18:23 AM

zzz144 said:
Hi Guys,

Ok so you may be talking to a newbie here.

here's some answers:

I am running XP 64 bit with Autocad 64bit and Solidworks 64bit.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3702/60016979.png - please note that this looks good cause i just got sick of autocad and closed it down...

1. how do i reduce the number of previous versions in autocad? where do i find these prefernces? do you mean options under autocad? and which tab?

2. do i really need the paging file - i dont care if outlook or some other non CAD programs halts.

3. my HDD is almost 60% full.

why is it so painful to work in autocad?? sure its a big 3D file but i have plenty of resources...?

I do not see crashes but the whole OS becomes unbearably slow and its not cause of Quad CPU cause i can change the CPU afinity.

Ill play around with the BIOS setings but i really have no clue what im doing there....

how do i get a copy of Memtest? can this be downloaded?

1. In Autocad, go to "Tools", then "preferences" and then set the number of lines you want in memory (I don't see the need to have as high as 400 lines in memory).

2. Try with and without the paging file, then decide.

3. HDD 60% full is approaching the upper limit of "no more than 70% full" that I suggested.

I work with some 2-D Autocad files while having other programs running simultaneously. Have not run into any issues so far.

memtest86 can be downloaded from: http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 8, 2011 11:29:06 AM

A real simple way to test my theory is to pull all but 1 4GB stick -- if you can run more RAM than before, refer to my earlier post.

I see this all the time in Win 7 and the "Hardware Reserved" flags the problem, in Win XP it does not.

If there's no difference then I would look at the CAD App 32-bit vs 64-bit and/or it's ability to properly address >2GB files.
m
l
!