Sign in with
Your question

AM3 965 BE QUESTION

Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2010 2:28:04 AM

I am strongly considering purchasing a 965 BE. I know it is very overclock friendly. My question is: With an aftermarket cooler what would be a modest overclock, and how much would it reduce the lifespan of the processor? Or is stock fast enough for gaming purposes?

More about : am3 965 question

a c 81 à CPUs
June 28, 2010 2:45:49 AM

Its fast enough at stock although, being a BE CPU, its ready to be overclocked.. I'd recommend getting the 955 BE though.. Its just a 200 MHz slower by clock which can be easily taken care of by few multiplier advances.. Overclocking does reduce the lifespan (and also the warranty) of a CPU the degree of which depends on the extent of overclocking along with the cooling setup employed.. The platform and the motherboard used also plays a significant role.. Not to forget the PSU..
m
l
June 28, 2010 2:54:14 AM

Emperus said:
Its fast enough at stock although, being a BE CPU, its ready to be overclocked.. I'd recommend getting the 955 BE though.. Its just a 200 MHz slower by clock which can be easily taken care of by few multiplier advances.. Overclocking does reduce the lifespan (and also the warranty) of a CPU the degree of which depends on the extent of overclocking along with the cooling setup employed.. The platform and the motherboard used also plays a significant role.. Not to forget the PSU..

I'm going to pair it with an MSI 5770 hawk, which will be overclocked just like 3dguru did. You think the stock 3.4 mhz is fast enough for games and will be in the future?

Also going to pair it with GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 is this a good board? Or should I get an 890? Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 28, 2010 2:59:35 AM

wwusa83 said:
I am strongly considering purchasing a 965 BE. I know it is very overclock friendly. My question is: With an aftermarket cooler what would be a modest overclock, and how much would it reduce the lifespan of the processor? Or is stock fast enough for gaming purposes?

4ghz is modest.

Lifespan reduction will probably be longer than your next upgrade, so it really doesn't matter.

Stock is fast enough for gaming purposes, but 4ghz is better.
m
l
June 28, 2010 3:10:54 AM

Both the 955 and the 965 are excellent processors, and easily overclockable.

My 955 BE plays games completely fine at stock (3.2), and once I get my Zalman CNPS10x, I plan on overclocking it to 3.7-3.8. I have heard the 965 can overclock to 3.9, and 4.0 also does sound possible.

Don't worry about the lifespan of the processor, because by the time it dies, it will probably be out of date and you will have already replaced it. I hope this helps.

So for the 965, I'd say you can EASILY achieve 3.8 with an aftermarket cooler, and 4.0 is not out of the question.
m
l
June 28, 2010 3:12:19 AM

4Ryan6 said:
4ghz is modest.

Lifespan reduction will probably be longer than your next upgrade, so it really doesn't matter.

Stock is fast enough for gaming purposes, but 4ghz is better.

What heatsync do you recommend for the 965 BE, also. Should I just use AMD overdrive on the desktop or go through bios? What are your thoughts on the GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 motherboard should I get an 890 instead?
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 28, 2010 3:28:23 AM

wwusa83 said:
What heatsync do you recommend for the 965 BE, also. Should I just use AMD overdrive on the desktop or go through bios? What are your thoughts on the GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 motherboard should I get an 890 instead?

I'm using the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with a 2nd fan in a push/pull airflow configuration, the CMH212+ comes with the 2nd set of fan clips.

I always overclock through the BIOS.

MSI NF980-G65 is the M/B I'm presently using it uses DDR3 memory, had my 965BE to 4.3ghz but had to use a high Vcore to get there, so I dropped it back the 4.2ghz.

Running 4ghz is cruising speed for the 965 as long as you have a good overclock-able M/B and memory.
m
l
!