Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel Extreme Graphics 2 vs. GeForce 8500 cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 27, 2010 2:17:43 AM

I don't know very much, if anything about Video Cards, Video Adapters or graphics.
All I do know, is recently I attempted to install Apple's Safari, with its new Top Site feature, its great looking. It gives viewers a slanted look at their most frequently used web sites.

I like its appearance. According to specification my Video Card, Intel, Extreme Graphics 2 should have ran the application, but it failed.

I want to buy a new CPU which would end all problems, bc GE Force video Card/adapter would be included in the cost of the new CPU.

Yet, suppose, I wanted to upgrade my computer? Dell says I could get the geForce video card, but what about increasing the power supply to operate the GeForce video card- adapter? Dell failed to mention I would need to increase the power supply to operate the video card. I read a Review of geForce Video cards. The purchaser mentioned he had to increase the power supply; he telephoned PNY when the card failed to perform. PNY explained the power supply issue.
Please help. Explain the Upgrade steps, only as they relate to video graphics using geforce video card, which is just coming off the military assembly line (smile)?

How is increasing the power supply accomplished? And, why did my Intel extreme graphic 2 at 96 mbs failed when Apple required for Windows, Direct 9X, video card at 96 mbs
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 5:16:46 AM

Anything with Intel "graphics" fails.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 5:25:51 AM

For a low end non-gaming video card I doubt you will need a new PSU as they are very low power. I'd recommend the HD5450 as long as your motherboard has a PCIe x16 slot.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 5:45:22 AM

I'm supposing it failed due to lack of support for the feature more than anything. I don't even think it supports Aero on Vista/7.

As for a low end non-gaming card, what jyjjy said - an HD 5450 should do fine, just make sure you have a PCI-e x16 slot. If you want to go even cheaper, a HD 4350 would do - there's one on sale at Newegg for $15 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

People have been running this on a generic 350W PSU.

m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 5:52:42 AM

The both use less than 20w under load. Even a 250w would be fine.
m
l
March 27, 2010 6:57:26 PM

Lmeow said:
I'm supposing it failed due to lack of support for the feature more than anything. I don't even think it supports Aero on Vista/7.

As for a low end non-gaming card, what jyjjy said - an HD 5450 should do fine, just make sure you have a PCI-e x16 slot. If you want to go even cheaper, a HD 4350 would do - there's one on sale at Newegg for $15 after rebate.

People have been running this on a generic 350W PSU.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments. And, you are correct about the low end non-gaming card. Intel Extreme Graphics, actually came with the computer and I never upgraded the card to a better one.
m
l
March 27, 2010 7:00:14 PM

sabot00 said:
Anything with Intel "graphics" fails.

You don't seem to like Intel too much. The video graphics on my computer work ok, but now I want a Video Card that performs on a higher level.

Intel was able to show the browser, but now I am having all kinds of problems.

Thanks for the comment.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 7:03:40 PM

keepsake1026 said:
Thanks for your suggestions and comments. And, you are correct about the low end non-gaming card. Intel Extreme Graphics, actually came with the computer and I never upgraded the card to a better one.

the Intel graphics are actually not a card at all but rather a single chip integrated into your motherboard that uses your system RAM; its made specifically to offer basic graphic operations at the cheapest possible price

the cards recommended are all cards you install with their own GPU and dedicated RAM
m
l
March 27, 2010 7:16:09 PM

Thanks for helping me. You all have given me a good point to start. I still have more questions, but this might Not be the correct subject or topic within this forum. Either way, I have learn some important things about Video cards and a little about motherboards, just a little. Again, thanks for your comments and suggestions.
m
l
March 27, 2010 7:25:24 PM

ct1615 said:
the Intel graphics are actually not a card at all but rather a single chip integrated into your motherboard that uses your system RAM; its made specifically to offer basic graphic operations at the cheapest possible price

the cards recommended are all cards you install with their own GPU and dedicated RAM

Excellent, I did not understand how the (chip) video functioned within the Video process of my Dell Dimension computer. I did know that I was working with a low end type of Video system. Having no real computer savvy, and this computer is my first, I was in a learning stage, but still trying to learn and enjoy my system at the same time.

So, as long as my Motherboard has the correct specifications, a "PCIe x 16 slot, I can increase or add an actual Video Card or adapter giving me more functionality, clearer images and overrall better Video quality?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 7:29:25 PM

Yeah, PCIe x16 is the current standard interface for video cards. If you have one(very likely) it will simplify things but even if you don't there are low end cards for regular PCI slots which will be better than your current onboard graphics and all motherboards have those.
If your computer is a Dell just tell us the model number.
m
l
March 27, 2010 7:33:02 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 3000.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 7:35:20 PM

keepsake1026 said:
So, as long as my Motherboard has the correct specifications, a "PCIe x 16 slot, I can increase or add an actual Video Card or adapter giving me more functionality, clearer images and overrall better Video quality?

correct but the images wont be clearer (only a better monitor can improve that) but you will see an improvement in web sites and video, scrolling, adobe, photo shop, etc.,

one thing to keep in mind, cards come in many performance tiers to fill roles from better operating system/web graphics to running today's most graphically demanding games at the highest settings possible. The lower end of the scale often need very little power while the higher end cards need a more powerful power supply. For your stated needs you do not need any power supply upgrades.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 7:46:50 PM

Alright, I just looked it up. That thing is quite old and actually does not have a PCIe port but it does have regular PCI slots. Unfortunately PCI cards are both weak and relatively expensive. Something like this would be reasonable for nongaming purposes and certainly better than your current graphics;
Your current PSU should handle it just fine.
However you may want to consider a new computer rather than spending $50 to upgrade that thing. You can probably find a used computer on ebay or craigslist that will be noticeably better than your current computer and not need a new card for $100 or so.
m
l

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 7:48:11 PM

ct1615 said:
if all you want to do is run apple safari, this card will do and its fairly cheap

lol
We came up with the same card independently.
March 29, 2010 3:36:06 AM

Best answer selected by keepsake1026.
m
l
March 29, 2010 3:49:44 AM

jvjjy, I agree with you, even though you made me laugh when you said my system is quite old. You are correct about buying a new system rather than spending fifty to one hundred dollars. I am looking at Dell systems, those newer than the one I have now, and one that carries the Geforce video card. I just wanted a new CPU, but now I am thinking a New Monitor might be in order as well. Even though, I don't play many of the high end games, I do like playing chess and Immortal Night, and Braingles. And, I would like to enjoy a higher quality view and image of these applications. Thanks. It might take a few months before I get a new system, but it will be Dell. Any suggestions, in terms of power, speed, storage? I am an average computer user, basic understanding, but this time I want the newest OP, Windows 7, GE force video, at least 4gigabyts of Memory... 350-500 HD, 2MB Cashe. That's about right. I am still a computing newbee. What should I work with, as a newbee? When you have time, please make a suggestion.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 4:06:21 AM

Looking at the dell site this looks good for your purposes and isn't too expensive;
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/pr...
It's not high end but it's worlds better than your current system. The built in video is quite good for that kind of thing, you wont need anything better. You can add a monitor on the site but I would recommend buying one separately to save some money/have more options.
m
l
!