Sign in with
Your question

CPU is overheating.. would lowering Vcore help??

Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2010 3:30:59 AM

Hello all..

its the hot weather again, and the AMD X4 965 BE stock CPU cooler is not helping much..

I'm trying not to stress the CPU, but temperature gets up to 60 when I run a game or watch long videos online.. sometimes it passes the forbidden 62 (the CPUs default high temp) if a software not responding..

I'm planing to buy a good cooler but I'm pretty busy these days and I need a temporary solution to prevent it from overheating even if it means that the CPU will be slower for a few weeks.. So I was wondering..

Would it help to lower the CPU voltage?? and If it would, How much do I need to take it down? and is there is anything else I'd need to tweak beside the Vcore to make the PC stable?

Also. if there is a better suggestion, I'm open for it..

Thanks in advance..
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 3:37:00 AM

Lowering vCore would help, but make sure you don't lower it too much so that it's unstable. Just undervolt it bit by bit until you start crashing with Prime 95.
m
l
June 28, 2010 7:18:02 AM

Hi.. thanks for answering..

I tried lowering the CPU voltage.. it runs on 1.4 default, I took it down to 1.32
There was no much difference regarding temperature, but I noticed something.. I don't know if this how it supposed to be..

After lowering the voltage in BIOS, I ran CPU-Z and I noticed that the voltage changed..

But the thing is that I expected that the new voltage would affect the speed or the multiplier, but under stress, while the voltage is lower, the core speed and the multiplier remain the same..

What am I doing wrong?? What else do I need to change to make the CPU run slower??
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 7:51:11 AM

That's meant to happen, the core speed still runs at the same speed before. Undervolting it will lower the temperatures more than underclocking, but if you still want to underclock just lower the reference clock or multiplier.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 1:48:02 PM

Something to think about here, there are thousands of AMD 965BE CPU's out there running with the stock coolers, and mild overclocks, in the hot parts of the world, during the summer, that do not overheat. I would suggest looking at the obvious first. Did you apply the correct amount of thermal compound? Did you get the heatsink mounted correctly? Do you have enough case fans to keep cool air coming in, hot air going out? Is the heatsink full of dust? Is the fan speed profile in the BIOS set correctly? Is the temperature monitoring software you are using accurate?
m
l
!