Upgrading my P6X58D Premium, Question regarding processor and memory

jimmy328

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I want to upgrade my P6X58D Premium.

I would like to max it out with the fastest and as much memory possible which is 24-GB. The Asus Memory QVL list appears to be a year old and recommends the Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX (XMP) which is about $360 for 12 GB (3x4). If I buy 4 GB memory that is not on the Asus QVL list but has the same timing, voltage, and latency; am I taking a gamble with stability or compatibility issues? The current memory I have is the Patriot DDR3 2000 6MB (3x2). According to the QVL list, this MB will only support 3 sticks at this speed. However, if I buy DDR3 1600, this board will support 6 sticks of memory.

Also, my current P6X58D Premium has an i7-960 3.2GHz Quad-Core. Will I see much improvement in speed/performance (gaming) if I go with a Six-Core?

Thank you,
Jim

tecmo34

Administrator
CPU... You will see little to no difference with the hex core in gaming. It benefits highly level HD Video / AutoCAD type work.

As for memory... You will see no benefit in gaming with 24GB of RAM. 6GB is still the standard and more than enough :) Going with 24GB will only increase the likelihood of an unstable system... IMO. The X58 boards have never been the best at having all six DIMM slots full... IMO.