Tags:
  • Memory
  • DDR2
  • DDR3
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
December 31, 2010 10:33:51 PM

Sorry for being such a putz on this but I am frustrated by what seems to be a large selection of reasonably priced DDR3 RAM and a very small and expensive selection of DDR2.

I plan to use a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H for a HTPC build and want to be sure to purchase the correct memory. I added a bunch of DDR3 choices to my newegg wish list before discovering the RAM compatibility question with this particular MB.

When I looked for DDR2, it seems way more scarce and expensive.

Any help / explanation would be great.

Any thoughts on inexpensive DDR2 4MB memory for this motherboard if I have to stick with DDR2?

Thank you in advance!

More about : ddr3 work ddr2 motherboard

February 27, 2011 2:20:52 PM

Best answer selected by dougf4.
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2015 1:23:23 PM

Hi Guys & Gals,
Did anyone find out if DDR3 PC Memory (240 pin) will work on a DDR3 Motherboard?
Any reply wud be most welcome.
Thanx
m
l
July 22, 2016 8:06:17 AM

Hi, the Answer is NO!
DDR2 RAM is physically different from DDR3. The notches in the DDR2 chips are in different places that prevent you installing them into a DDR3 Motherboard & Vica Versa.
You can check this yourself if you can borrow a DDR2 chip and compare it to a DDR3 one.
DDR4 is now the current chip of choice. DDR3 used to be expensive but so much of has been produced that it is now as cheap as DDR2.
If you want to get DDR2 at a decent price source it from China thru ebay. I got some very inexpensive chips ther that work pefrfectly.
NOTE: Due to the cost of ordering 4 DDR2chips together it would have exceeded the @Duty/Tax' Limit and these charges would have been equal to the cost of the chips.
You get around this by ordering 2 chips(non Duty threshold) & then ordering a second pair 2 weeks later. Postage was free in both cases.
Make sure you leave at least 2 weeks between orders or they could get bundled together & Taxes will apply.
Normally I hunt out another China supplier for the same thing but because RAM Chips can be finiccy if mixed together I used the same supplier twice. Hope this helps.
m
l