Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SSD 120GB Recommendation

Last response: in Storage
Share
May 28, 2012 11:25:11 PM

OK, I have been recommended a 120GB Vertex 3 SSD, but I want to know if there is a better choice and a less expensive one. Any comments or advice is welcomed. Thanks.
Related resources
May 29, 2012 2:11:44 AM

The crucial m4 (ct128m4ssd2) has a $99.99 sale price at newegg with promo code emcytzt1673.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 2:23:20 AM

Au_equus said:
The crucial m4 (ct128m4ssd2) has a $99.99 sale price at newegg with promo code emcytzt1673.

Too bad! It's been sold out! Thanks.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 2:32:45 AM

Crucial M4 is a solid buy. I've seen Samsung 830 going for around 130ish which is a slightly faster SSD. Check EBay's Newegg store they often times have the same prices but a different stock. That's how I got my Crucial M4 from Newegg last time it was on sale and OOS. Now's a great time to buy an SSD. It seems like a serious price war is going on between the vendors right now so sales are popping up often.
-Edited for horrible auto correct errors.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 29, 2012 2:37:55 AM

All the Intel 180GB 330s that were going for $120 are sold out at the moment. But I have seen lots of good deals the last 3 weeks on newegg. I'd just watch for a good brand to snag
m
0
l
a c 353 G Storage
May 29, 2012 2:42:46 AM

The M4s along with the samsung 830's are my recommended drives. Unforunatly Newegg sold out on the m4's for $99 before 2 PM today..

On higher end SSDs, DO NOT go by the High Sequencial performance benchmark, this is normally using ATTO, a HDD benchmarking tool, that uses data that is Highly compressable, Not real-life. Also, Sequencial performance is the least important parameter for an OS + Program drive. If must look at benchmarks, use PCMark Vantage (Closest to real life performance, followed by AS SSD (designed for SSDs), Uses data that is compressed. Generally speaking, there is NOT a nickels worth of Real Life performance diff between the various Sata III SSDs - So go by reliability, and least user complains. I look at neweggs 1 and 2 reviews, Must have at least 30 reviews for it to be meaningfull.

Vertex 4 - A week ago I looked at their method to Update the Firmware. At that time they DID NOT have a bootable linux method and the only way to update the firmware was to use either a 2nd computer. You could use the computer that has it installed providing the OS was was installed on another drive. As a company I do Not recommend OCZ. The OCZ Agility III (have 2 120 gig agility IIIs) are just a Sata II ssd in a SATA III wrapper.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 2:50:51 AM

RetiredChief said:
The M4s along with the samsung 830's are my recommended drives. Unforunatly Newegg sold out on the m4's for $99 before 2 PM today..

On higher end SSDs, DO NOT go by the High Sequencial performance benchmark, this is normally using ATTO, a HDD benchmarking tool, that uses data that is Highly compressable, Not real-life. Also, Sequencial performance is the least important parameter for an OS + Program drive. If must look at benchmarks, use PCMark Vantage (Closest to real life performance, followed by AS SSD (designed for SSDs), Uses data that is compressed. Generally speaking, there is NOT a nickels worth of Real Life performance diff between the various Sata III SSDs - So go by reliability, and least user complains. I look at neweggs 1 and 2 reviews, Must have at least 30 reviews for it to be meaningfull.

Vertex 4 - A week ago I looked at their method to Update the Firmware. At that time they DID NOT have a bootable linux method and the only way to update the firmware was to use either a 2nd computer. You could use the computer that has it installed providing the OS was was installed on another drive. As a company I do Not recommend OCZ. The OCZ Agility III (have 2 120 gig agility IIIs) are just a Sata II ssd in a SATA III wrapper.


Sorry to sound stupid, but what do you recommend? Do you recommend the Crucial M4 listed above? Is there a Samsung 830 SSD? I already places the Crucial M4 on a wish list. I will take a look to see if I can find that Samsung 830. Thanks.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 29, 2012 2:53:55 AM

^good info. I have liked the M4s and 830s from reviews but haven't taken the plunge. Sandforce and OCZ just... give me a bad vibe from all the issues I have read. thanks for the info chief
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 29, 2012 2:57:25 AM

orestesdd said:
Sorry to sound stupid, but what do you recommend? Do you recommend the Crucial M4 listed above? Is there a Samsung 830 SSD? I already places the Crucial M4 on a wish list. I will take a look to see if I can find that Samsung 830. Thanks.


link to the 830. I have seen it for $120 but looks like 150 now. lots of recent sales and newegg fliers etc.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682014713...
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 4:03:03 AM

^+1
Prices of ssd's, in general, are coming down, at least on newegg. Late last year prices for the 120/128gb and 240/256gb ssd's were around the $200 and $350-400 respectively, and now it's not unusual to see them for $150/280 and below. IMO, the 830, but i've built/rebuilt systems around the m4 and absolutely no issues with them. You'll be happy with either one
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 10:48:59 AM

unksol said:
link to the 830. I have seen it for $120 but looks like 150 now. lots of recent sales and newegg fliers etc.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682014713...


I plan to buy between 6/15 and 7/4 just to wait for some sales, possibly the ones on the 4th of July. Thanks for your input.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
May 29, 2012 12:11:01 PM

orestesdd - As I stated "The M4s along with the samsung 830's are my recommended drives". These two drives have about the best "least problems reported" excluding the Intel 510 and 520. The Intel drives are higher priced and in my oppion do not warrant the thigher price.
I have, 2 x 128 gig Curcial M4 (in a i5-2410M laptop), a 128 gig Samsung 830 (in a i5-2500k desktop). There is almost no difference in performance between the two in real life usage. Both systems take about 15 Sec to go from Start loading OS to point of opening my first application. Between the 2, whichever is cheapest, If the Samsung is only $10->$15, I'd probably go for the Samsung. Bought a 2nd Samsung 830 but have not installed it yet - Been working on my wife's system and may put it in hers.

Also have a pair of OCZ 120 Gig Agility III (bought when they first came out) - NOT recommended. Currently using as a storage/working (NON-OS) drive.
Share
May 29, 2012 12:21:18 PM

Best answer selected by orestesdd.
m
0
l
!