Sign in with
Your question

Question - Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r LED lights on CPU and northbridge

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 4:19:43 AM

Hello,

I have recently bought and installed a Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r Rev 2.0 motherboard with a core i7 960 and 6GB of Gskill Pi RAM 1600MHz 7-8-7-24-2N.

I have left everything at its default/auto setting within the BIOS except for the RAM settings and quickboot option. With in the memory settings section of the BIOS I have selected the X.M.P. Profile 1. When selecting that profile it automatically set my RAM's clock, voltage, and timings.

Now, the system boots and is stable so far. But on the motherboard the CPU LEDs and Northbridge LEDs light up. The CPU LEDs are green and yellow on the CPU voltage LEDs. The manual states that this means the CPU voltage LED is on level 2 which means "moderate". Example Below. (X= no light on)

- X
- Yellow
- Green
- X
- X

Now as for the northbridge LED all I can see is a green light. I can't actually see which LED is lit because it is covered by the chipset heatsink. The green light can either mean Level 1 voltage meaning "slight" or it means temperature level 1 - 61 degrees Celsius to 80 degrees Celsius.

Are these LEDs turning on because the RAM was essentially overclocked? Or is there some voltage numbers that are to high for some reason? Any help or similar experience you can share about this board and the LEDs would be great.

Thank you. :wahoo: 

STUFF(in case it helps)

CPU - intel core i7 960 (stock clock)
MOBO - gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r Rev. 2.0 Bios-FB
RAM - 6GB Gskill Pi DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-24-2N
PSU - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W
GPU - Nvidia GTX 275
HDD - 2 WD RAID 0
January 1, 2011 4:18:00 PM

Those 4 LED's are part of the power levels you are feeding the cpu. Like for example when I have my I7-920 clocked at 3.8 ghz all the lights are going to be lit, because of my overclock. They are not warning lights.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 4:23:01 PM

kg4icg said:
Those 4 LED's are part of the power levels you are feeding the cpu. Like for example when I have my I7-920 clocked at 3.8 ghz all the lights are going to be lit, because of my overclock. They are not warning lights.

I'm not overclocking the CPU. I have left everything as default/auto in the BIOS except for the RAM settings. So basically everything is at stock settings with XMT set to profile 1 to get the RAM to its stock/oc'ed settings.
m
l
January 3, 2011 12:49:10 PM

It doesn't matter if overclocked or not, it's just show lights, that's all showing cpu power levels as it's going along. Nothing to worry about.
m
l
!