Sign in with
Your question

Psu 12v and 5v readings very low

Last response: in Systems
April 20, 2010 10:40:53 PM

Hello i have been trying to find out what is wrong since my video cardhas been a little slow lately and i think i know the problem but i want to confirm it. My Psu 5v has only gone to about 3.5 and my 12v hasnt even passed 1 it is around .56 i tested with 2 programs and it came up the same is there anyway for sure i can be certain the psu is almost dead ?

More about : psu 12v readings low

April 20, 2010 11:00:51 PM

the software you are using is reporting it wrong, get a digital multimeter and test the actual voltages yourself, also if those were the right voltages it wouldn't even turn on let alone post

though by a little slow for the graphics card what do you mean, missing a few frames in a game, losing half, or nearly unplayable

also listing the full system specs will help
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
April 21, 2010 1:44:20 AM

Those voltages are obviously wrong. If your 12 volt output were much less than about 11 volts, your system wouldn't boot.

Simple way to check the 5 and 12 volt lines is to measure at one of molex (IDE drive) connectors. Borrow a meter and measure - red to black should be 4.75 - 5.25 volts and yellow to black should be 11.4 - 12.6 volts to meet specifications.

You can also check what the BIOS is telling you.
m
l
!