My gigabyte ex58-ud4p mobo fried and when I replaced it with an evga ex58-sli le

Martin Pollack

Honorable
May 29, 2012
when my antec 1000 watt ps fried, it did bad things to my gigabyte ex58-ud4p mobo. It hung on for a while, doing things like rebooting when I tried to shut down, and things like that. Now it has died completely. I have tried to replace it with an evga ex58-sli-le, but it does not boot win 7 sp1 from my samsung ssd and I can't even reinstall windows, and I have tried. Help!!!

Are you getting any error messages when you try to boot into Windows? It's possible that your new motherboard is using a different storage controller mode than your old one. A lot of boards still default to IDE mode for their SATA controllers. If you switched it to AHCI mode on your old board for your SSD, you'll need to switch your new board to AHCI mode if it isn't set to that already.

Also try deactivating all your other hard drives in BIOS, or simply unplug them, leaving only the SSD, and DVD active. It's possible that BIOS isn't picking up the boot loader on your SSD properly, and is instead looking at another drive for the Windows boot loader, causing Windows to not boot at all.

Another possibility is that it wasn't just your mobo that died, but that the bad PSU took out your SSD as well. You may want to attach the SSD to a known good system and make sure that it is working properly, if it isn't a problem with the controller mode.