Upgrading laptop hard drive

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 2:03:22 AM

Hi all,

My current laptop has a 20gig hard drive which I would like to upgrade
to an 80gig. I have many programs installed and I would like to know
if there is an easy way to backup the entire hard drive and somehow
put this data on the new drive. I really want to avoid starting fresh
and having to re-install windows and all of my software.

Is there an easy way to do this? I have a cd burner and if there is a
way to make an image that spans multiple cd's and then put this on the
new drive it would be great.

Thanks for any help.
September 20, 2004 12:04:03 PM

try Powerquest DriveImage or something sim.

"Ashkan" <ashkan21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My current laptop has a 20gig hard drive which I would like to upgrade
> to an 80gig. I have many programs installed and I would like to know
> if there is an easy way to backup the entire hard drive and somehow
> put this data on the new drive. I really want to avoid starting fresh
> and having to re-install windows and all of my software.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this? I have a cd burner and if there is a
> way to make an image that spans multiple cd's and then put this on the
> new drive it would be great.
>
> Thanks for any help.
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 3:07:16 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I'll give Norton Ghost a shot.
Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 3:12:25 PM

"Ashkan" <ashkan21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My current laptop has a 20gig hard drive which I would like to upgrade
> to an 80gig. I have many programs installed and I would like to know
> if there is an easy way to backup the entire hard drive and somehow
> put this data on the new drive. I really want to avoid starting fresh
> and having to re-install windows and all of my software.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this? I have a cd burner and if there is a
> way to make an image that spans multiple cd's and then put this on the
> new drive it would be great.
>
> Thanks for any help.

First get a usb to external laptop drive unit. (You can get them on eBay.)
Use ghost (Symantec) or other drive image program to copy your existing
drive over to the new drive that you have inserted into the external laptop
drive unit. Then move the new drive from the external unit into the laptop,
replacing the old drive. (Let me know if you want to sell the 20G drive at
a reasonable price.)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 3:58:48 PM

>Hi all,
>
>My current laptop has a 20gig hard drive which I would like to upgrade
>to an 80gig. I have many programs installed and I would like to know
>if there is an easy way to backup the entire hard drive and somehow
>put this data on the new drive. I really want to avoid starting fresh
>and having to re-install windows and all of my software.
>
>Is there an easy way to do this? I have a cd burner and if there is a
>way to make an image that spans multiple cd's and then put this on the
>new drive it would be great.
>
>Thanks for any help.

I like doing all that on my desktop PC. Any local PC shop should have
2.5" to 3.5" drive adapters for under $10. Get two to make things
faster. If one of your desktop drives are Western Digital you can use
their free transfer utility to move your old drives contents to the
new drive in less than 20 minutes. All from inside Windows. No need to
mess with DOS boot disks. If you just buy one adapter you would move
the old drives contents to a folder on your desktop. Then move the
folder contents to your new drive, which takes twice as long but saves
$10. I know all these methods work since I've done them 10 times in
the last 5 days. If you have another brand of drive on your desktop
you can get their free drive transfer utility off the web but I like
WD utility the best.

Adapter:
http://www.xpcgear.com/driveadapter.html

WD transfer utility Data Lifeguard Tools V. 11.0
:http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools

Warning- The #1 pin on the adapter must go on the #1 pin on the drive
or you'll send 5v through the portion of the drive and that can't be
good.
!