Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build - Install SSD & HDD before Win 7

Last response: in Systems
April 20, 2010 11:28:03 PM

I'm hoping someone has had this same question about a new build.

I have a 64GB SSD that is for Windows 7 Ultimate only and a 1TB HDD that is for programs and all other stuff. Both are SATA 6. My mobo has 2 SATA 6 connectors.

My question is:

Can I install and connect both the SSD and HDD and then load Win 7 on the SSD or do I have to install the SSD, load Win 7, and then install my HDD?

I've read all of my mobo documentation and done BING and Google searches but I cannot find any answers. I'd appreciate it if someone would give me a suggestion that I do one or the other and the reasons why.

Thanks in advance,

Best solution

April 21, 2010 1:50:55 AM

You can install both hard drives than install Windows 7. Before you do the install of the OS, make sure to change you disk mode to AHCI in your BIOS (need for the SSD). During the install process, you just select which drive you want your OS installed on (SSD of course) and the way you go with the install. I did this with my three drives installed, so you will (should) have no problems.
April 21, 2010 2:50:48 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'll install both, set the BIOS disk mode to AHCI, and then install Win 7.

Since you've done this install, did you run into any problems or are there some caveats that I need watch out for as I install Win 7?

m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2010 2:52:27 AM

Best answer selected by phroneo.
m
l
April 21, 2010 3:03:23 AM

First... Thanks for the best answer nod :) 

Second... The install process is pretty much straight forward, nothing special after selecting the drive. There are some tweaks you'll want to perform after the install to help with the SSD performance & storage. Once you get the install complete, shot me a PM or build off this thread and I'll see what I can do for you.
m
l
April 22, 2010 2:51:37 AM

Thanks again for your response - and for your offer to help.

I've read your very well written article on the steps to build a new computer. Even though this will be my third new system build, your article is helpful - most of us don't build new systems everyday.

I've gotten all of my "stuff" in order and laid out to begin: All components, manuals, tips & tricks I've collected and printed out, and all programs and systems settings copied to disks and thumb drives that help me work. Now it's just a matter of the build. That's not to minimize how much work it'll take.

BTW, one of the points in your article that really hit home was to take the time to clean the case and any components that are going to be reused. Yikes, dirt certainly does collect in these systems.
m
l
Anonymous
August 21, 2012 10:25:54 PM

tecmo34 said:
First... Thanks for the best answer nod :) 

Second... The install process is pretty much straight forward, nothing special after selecting the drive. There are some tweaks you'll want to perform after the install to help with the SSD performance & storage. Once you get the install complete, shot me a PM or build off this thread and I'll see what I can do for you.

Excuse me for jumping in here,

I was wondering how to go about keeping the ssd purely for the operating system and running everything else off the hdd, am trying to set up same thing on my laptop, have the drives, the operating system, just need to know how to keep them separate

have a great day
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:47:16 PM

I have a question about this. Which drive will have the c: drive?
I know with installing certain programs and games, anything other than the c: drive they won't install properly.
m
l
September 21, 2012 1:35:59 PM

The boot drive is C: drive
If you're worried about programs not installing properly on d: drive (I havn't run into this myself) then you could create "programs files" and "programs files(x86)"partitions on d drive and mount them on c in place of their originals.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11253-mount-drives...
m
l
January 5, 2013 6:27:07 PM

Quote:
Excuse me for jumping in here,

I was wondering how to go about keeping the ssd purely for the operating system and running everything else off the hdd, am trying to set up same thing on my laptop, have the drives, the operating system, just need to know how to keep them separate

have a great day

have you ever had an answer to this? I know this message is about 2-3 years old but im curious and tryin to implment the same thing :wahoo:  thank you in advance.
m
l
!