Alienware M17x SSD

Ollygus

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hello I'm new to the forum, and I've got a quick question regarding the Alienware M17x. First off, I really don't know a lot about upgrading with laptops so bare with me. So a few days ago I ordered the M17x with a 750GB 7200RPM. This is the HDD included in the price. So Im wondering If I should get a SSD, I like the 750Gb for game space and I hear SSD are low Gb unless you pay more. But I hear the SSD boot times are a lot better. I saw a video on how to upgrade a HDD on the M17x, and I noticed that there are two HDD's. I don't know if this is for all systems, or this laptop in the video. But I wanted to know if on one HDD would be the 750gb, and the other I could put a SSD with maybe a little over 100gb. Please help me with this, I really don't know much with upgrading like I said before. Oh and even If I had a SSD in one slot, and the 750gb in the other would this increase boot times? Also If someone you can, could you give me a link to a good SSD that is not too much money. Thanks :)

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If the machine has two bays and your budget can support an SSD then adding a 120GB SSD for your system will do wonders! I think that an SSD is probably the best upgrade available if you want to speed up your system. You will be very glad you spent the extra cash on that is for sure!
Check out the charts here at Tom's and pick out the SSD that suits you best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519&IsNodeId=1&Description=120GB%20ssd&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Ollygus

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Ok, thanks but since I got the 750gb Im not 100% sure it still has the 2 HDD bays. If there are 2 how do you think I will tell which has the 750gb. Also If I do end up installing the SSD, should I do it before I first start up the system? thanks

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I checked the service manual and apparently there are two drive bays. You will need to check the service manual to see how you will install the SSD though, but that should be easy.
After installing the SSD on the laptop you will then have to go to the BIOS screen and set up the primary boot device, and set it to the SSD. It will be easy to tell which is which because there will be a description of each in the BIOS.
It would be best to install the system directly on the SSD to start off. There is no use in installing on the 750GB HDD an then re-installing again later on the SSD.
If you can't wait for the SSD and want to install immediately (which I can appreciate) be sure to have a cloning software to transfer the system over when the SSD arrives (like Acronis True Image live CD).

TRENDING THREADS