Sign in with
Your question

Problems after installing E8400

Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2010 5:43:04 PM

A while bck ago i asked about getitng a new processor and so i did. It came in the mail today and i went to put the push pin heat sink on. Well i couldnt. I had to take off the screw holes on the back of the mother bored and then push it through. Done and done. Put my system back together and turned it on and then 4 seconds latter it tunrs off. I put my old cpu back and and same thing. What did i do. Everything is plugged in except this small 4 pin cable called a P7 and it coems from my hard drive. Whats wrong??????
June 28, 2010 7:10:28 PM

Screw holes:

The sockets were you put your heat sink in. There were screw holes before and i do know that you can remove these femal part screw's. I had to take the mobo off entirely and go under neath and take it off. I push the screw holes through and it was attached to this extremly sticky tape and it peeled right off. Then i took intel's heat sink and put then through the socket holes around the cpu socket.
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:37:24 PM

Anyone?

Well i was doing some more thinking and i remember reading some were on toms hard ware that your system will shut off if one of pieces of hard ware are over heating to protect it. On the stock fan of the cpu ( E8400 ) there was a little amount of thermal paste. Could that have done it?
m
l
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
June 29, 2010 9:48:46 PM

bravo95 said:
Anyone?

Well i was doing some more thinking and i remember reading some were on toms hard ware that your system will shut off if one of pieces of hard ware are over heating to protect it. On the stock fan of the cpu ( E8400 ) there was a little amount of thermal paste. Could that have done it?

Are you trying to tell us that you put on the new heatsink without applying any thermal compound? Even so, it shouldn't shut down so quickly, if at all.
m
l
June 29, 2010 10:15:40 PM

Well i thought i would just use the stock cooler from the E8400. There was thermal paste preapplied on the bottom of the heatsink ( very little though ) and i didn't have any to apply to my old fan ( not stock cooler ). I just don't understand why it did that. There was some and just enough compound from my other cpu so i put it back in. The same thing happens, turns on then turns off.
m
l
!