Sign in with
Your question

Need suggestions for CPU, motherboard & whether to get DDR3

Last response: in Systems
April 21, 2010 12:27:46 AM

HELLO! :D 

I am building a sub $770 gaming machine (which, of course, its primary use would be to play games on). I am wanting the machine to last 3-5 years without upgrading any component WITH the exception of the GPU.

I have selected the following components. I will NOT need a recommendation on a case, or optical drive (but thanks anyways!):

PowerColor PCS+ HD 5770 GDDR5 1GB ($160) - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB HDD ($60) - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

So that leaves $550 for a PSU, motherboard, and CPU (I'll get into RAM later.)

I would like a recommendation on which of the following CPU I should choose:

Intel Core i5-750 ($209) - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

OR

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T (reportedly coming out next week at a price range of around $200) - This is supported on both AM2+ boards and AM3 boards, which leads me to talk about RAM.

I have 4GBs of DDR2 lying around, however this will be only accepted by AM2+ boards (shorter lifespan) and will not be accepted by either AM3 or 1156 (for the i5-750) boards.

So this makes me ask, "should I pay $100 for 2x2GB of DDR3 RAM?", as well as to what motherboard and PSU, corresponding to the RAM/CPU recommendation given, I should purchase..

As I had mentioned before, I am willing to keep using the gaming system for 3-5 years without upgrading anything EXCEPT for the GPU, and would like it if the recommendations do not exceed my budget of $770 (this includes the components I have already finalized upon).

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies! :D 
April 21, 2010 1:07:04 AM

Bumpity bump. :p 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2010 1:12:23 AM

Unless you are playing GTA4 then more cores probably doesnt do you any good. An Athlon II x3 at the same clock speed will give you nearly the same peformance as a Phenom II x4 on most games currently available. Most games are GPU intensive, which means buying the most expensive GPU you can afford and a cheaper CPU will give you more bang/buck. The Athlon IIx3 is a good match for the 5770. It will give you a good performing, well balanced system. If you were going to do rendering, encoding, etc then getting more cores at lower speed would make more sense.

I am not really sure if sticking with an AM2+/AM3 motherboard and an Athlon II x3 would be slower than an AM3 motherboard or not. My belief is that if you have a RAM problem (stick goes bad) in 2 years you will be looking at sources like ebay for replacement sticks. Pricing could be much higher or lower depending on supply/demand. DDR3 should be more price stable and available while DDR2 production is dropping off. Its hard to say its worth $100 to switch now, but its also a mild risk not to.

m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2010 1:22:52 AM

dndhatcher said:
Unless you are playing GTA4 then more cores probably doesnt do you any good. An Athlon II x3 at the same clock speed will give you nearly the same peformance as a Phenom II x4 on most games currently available. Most games are GPU intensive, which means buying the most expensive GPU you can afford and a cheaper CPU will give you more bang/buck. The Athlon IIx3 is a good match for the 5770. It will give you a good performing, well balanced system. If you were going to do rendering, encoding, etc then getting more cores at lower speed would make more sense.

I am not really sure if sticking with an AM2+/AM3 motherboard and an Athlon II x3 would be slower than an AM3 motherboard or not. My belief is that if you have a RAM problem (stick goes bad) in 2 years you will be looking at sources like ebay for replacement sticks. Pricing could be much higher or lower depending on supply/demand. DDR3 should be more price stable and available while DDR2 production is dropping off. Its hard to say its worth $100 to switch now, but its also a mild risk not to.

Yeah. I've started to lean more towards AM3 over AM2+/AM3 and 1156 (seeing as it seems as if they both won't be supported as long as AM3).

Can you recommend a motherboard and a CPU which would suffice for me?
m
l
April 21, 2010 1:30:32 AM

While that would fit within my budget (moreso with cheaper 2x2GB DDR3) I've heard bad things about Rosewill PSUs, and I don't want to skimp out on the PSU and risk frying my more expensive components.

Also, I'd assume that 1156 would become more irrelevant in 3-5 years time than AM3 would become, considering how 1366 already exists and such.
m
l
April 21, 2010 1:32:03 AM

SUPER NAME said:
While that would fit within my budget (moreso with cheaper 2x2GB DDR3) I've heard bad things about Rosewill PSUs, and I don't want to skimp out on the PSU and risk frying my more expensive components.

Also, I'd assume that 1156 would become more irrelevant in 3-5 years time than AM3 would become, considering how 1366 already exists and such.

I couldn't find any cheaper DDR3 that would be compatible with the mobo, and I guess a better PSU wouldn't be too bad either.
m
l
April 21, 2010 1:34:19 AM

SUPER NAME said:
Bumpity bump. :p 

Oh and have some patience 40 minutes isn't enough.
m
l
April 21, 2010 1:39:30 AM

cyrus_cse said:
Oh and have some patience 40 minutes isn't enough.

Considering my thread was being ignored for 40 minutes, I decided I should edit it and bump it back up.

Nothing wrong with looking for answers, is there?
m
l
!