How to remove write protection from a USB flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I took my USB drive apart and found the switch. Little white fellow, moves left to right, vice -versa. There is a slot for gaining access to the switch but it was useless.

flashwriteerror

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Hi, thanks for guide. I have the same problem with write protection error msg. Started yesterday out of the blue, had been using the stick all day and was fine, suddeny it started coming. I can read the contents but cannot change anything. Tried formatting from start commandpromt mode, same errormsg. Checked regedit and added the key (it wasnt there before) and set value to 0. Is there any other way i could try or can it be the problem of the stick(just wore off?) Iwould appreciate your thought. Thanks

The files could have been marked as Read only somehow. Check the Properties of one of the files and see what show up at the bottom of the Properties page.

If it shows Read Only, change the attribute of all the files on the stick using the Command Prompt and by typing:-
attrib -r x:\*.*
then press Enter. The x above has to be replaced by the actual driver letter of the stick at that time.

bsadie

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I tried your solution with no results. My PNY 64G has no switch. In regedit, I have no subfolder "StorageDevicePolicies", only the Storage subfolder with no entries.
What do I do at this point. I have also attempted to Format the drive with the CMD DOS command and even this produces the "disk is write protected" message.
I have two folders with about 12 Gb total information that I can copy all or parts and paste to another drive. The information is not needed; so contained information is not crucial.

VAZ_ik

Honorable
May 14, 2013

Hi!
I have the same problem with write protection, but I can't format my flash-drive even under the Linux. Seems to me, that there is something in the hardware. Is there any way to fix the problem?

The only time Linux has failed me over this has been when the data were totally corrupted or when there was a tine physical switch I'd failed to notice on the stick and which was turned off. I hope in your circumstances, it's the latter because embarrassing as it was, it was also fixable.

Ramesh Brr

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

You are a genius man:) Thanx for the Trick:)

Ramesh Brr

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

You are a genius man:) Thanx for the Trick:)

piker

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

I have been having this problem for a littel while, i have tried all of these methods, and even the CMD thing doesn't work, says attrib.exe write protect error.

even formatting the flashdirve doesnt work.

What can i do??? (apart from throw the drive into the bin and get annother)

You could be lucky and find a tiny switch on one side of the stick, then again, you might find a Linux system feels far less precious about these things than Windows.

There's a Registry tweak you might like to try but I'm sure you already have. Back the Registry up by selecting Export from the File menu before doing anything else then navigate to this key:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
where you should find Write Protect in the right hand pane. If it isn't there, right-click that pane and select choose New DWord, type Write Protect and press Enter. If you create it yourself, give it a value of 0 (zero) but if it was already there, make sure that is its value.

Leave the Registry from the File>Exit menu, remove the stick and restart teh computer. Try the stick again and it might have worked.

You probably don't have permissions to edit that part of the Registry. Try restarting the machine and tap the Function 8 key then select Safe Mode from the menu and log in to the Administrator account. You should then be able to make that change from 1 to 0.

warhog

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I took my USB drive apart and found the switch. Little white fellow, moves left to right, vice -versa. There is a slot for gaining access to the switch but it was useless.

Solution

scc1968

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

hi there
I have a Toshiba 32gb flash drive, no switch
it is write protected, I am NOT tech savy and can not figure out what you are trying to direct us to do, want to use this for xbox 360, but cant remove write protection, can you help?

scc1968

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

I have tried everything, including something while in safe mode, totally depressing, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.