How big is YOUR card ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 6, 2004 6:46:08 PM

I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
from 64meg to 512meg.

Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
( or any spares at all ? )

I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
capacity for 800+ pictures.

Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

.......so much to learn...... ;o)

<rj>

More about : big card

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 6:46:09 PM

1. What if you loose that one card? While on safari in central Africa?
Nothing for 500 miles?
2. What if the card breaks? While on safari etc.etc. It happens.
3. What if you forgot to take off the 799 shots of Brittany Spears
f#%&ing the mailman you happened to be in a position to take, and
Sasquatch walks by? Do you format the card?

Seriously, I carry a 512MB (~150 pics with my camera on "super-high
quality" JPEG), and a 256MB and a very old 96MB as spares. And I've
used them all on numerous occasions.

Also, you might want to increase the resolution of the pics you're
taking, if possible. You only get one chance to take a picture; you
should make it as good a shot as possible (within reason, of course -
RAW may take too long). You won't get a chance to go back and shoot
that exact same moment again.....

ECM
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 6:46:09 PM

"<RJ>" <baranick@localnet.com> wrote in message

> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )
>
> I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
> Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
>
> ......so much to learn...... ;o)
>
> <rj>

It depends on what image quality setting you have your camera on, and what
its max resolution is. My 8mp 20D gets about 260 images on a 1 Gig card at
Lg/Fine JPEG, and about 110 on RAW, 1000 on sm/normal. If your camera is
about 5mp and you have it on small/normal, you may get 800+ images on a
512meg card. Set your res higher, you'll get better pics, and utilize the
size of the card. Capacities are guesses based on my D30/256m card and
20D/1g card.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"<RJ>" <baranick@localnet.com> wrote in message

> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )
>
> I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
> Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
>
> ......so much to learn...... ;o)

6 months post graduation travel in Europe.

> <rj>
December 6, 2004 9:09:50 PM

You don't want to change cards or worry about the numbers. You take your
shots, whatever the number. You cull afterwards, yet you want to review the
best shots later and the more shots you have, the better your chances of
getting great souvenirs.
Marcel

"<RJ>" <baranick@localnet.com> wrote in message

> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )
>
> I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
> Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
>
> ......so much to learn...... ;o)
>
> <rj>
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 9:12:03 PM

8 x 2GB Sandisk Extreme III. Each stores about 200 RAWs from
my 20D.

"<RJ>" <baranick@localnet.com> wrote in message

> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )
>
> I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
> Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
>
> ......so much to learn...... ;o)
>
> <rj>
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 9:41:14 PM

I have SanDisk Ultra II in 512 MB, and 1 GB at this time will probably buy a
few more shortly..

"<RJ>" <baranick@localnet.com> wrote in message

> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )
>
> I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
> Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
>
> ......so much to learn...... ;o)
>
> <rj>
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 9:47:14 PM

Marcel wrote:
> You don't want to change cards or worry about the numbers. You take your
> shots, whatever the number. You cull afterwards, yet you want to review the
> best shots later and the more shots you have, the better your chances of
> getting great souvenirs.
> Marcel
You have a good point but it can be risky putting all your souvenirs in
one basket.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 10:14:38 PM

My 1 GB CF crad holds 70 Pentax RAW files (* ist D)
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 10:49:00 PM

We tend towards the much smaller CF cards - sort of treat 'em like a roll of
film. Absolutely hate sorting out the tangled heap of pix I get when the
card's been in the camera for weeks and weeks - smaller cards, uploaded more
frequently, usually have only one or two subjects per card. Also avoids
losing days and days of shots when faced with the card-gone bad, lost the
card sort of hassles...
And, of course, we're picking up the 32-64-128 sizes dirt-cheap used, as
most people super-size...
"<RJ>" <baranick@localnet.com> wrote in message

> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )
>
> I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
> Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
>
> ......so much to learn...... ;o)
>
> <rj>

---
December 6, 2004 11:14:49 PM

"<RJ>" <baranick@localnet.com> wrote in message

> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )
>
> I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
> Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
>
> ......so much to learn...... ;o)

Much of that depends upon how many megabytes each image taken by your camera
consumes.

With my Canon 10D, I can only shoot about 127 full resolution RAW files with
embedded jpegs.

So...what to you is 800-shot overkill, to me wouldn't even be the equivalent
of two rolls of film.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:55:55 AM

"tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
> Marcel wrote:
> > You don't want to change cards or worry about the numbers. You take your
> > shots, whatever the number. You cull afterwards, yet you want to review
the
> > best shots later and the more shots you have, the better your chances of
> > getting great souvenirs.
> > Marcel
> You have a good point but it can be risky putting all your souvenirs in
> one basket.

Sometimes it works the other way though...

Which is safer to carry?...

....A dozen eggs you must juggle in the air...or a basket that holds them
all?

Sometimes the basket is precisely what you should use.

When shooting wildlife, or at the beach, or in the rain, or on the
sidelines, or in the crowds, etc. etc.... Pulling tiny little drives out of
sensitive equipment is the LAST things one should have to do with
regularity. More often than not, I find security in NOT having to expose
lots of little cards to the endless shuffling through the mayh dangerous
environments (to cards, at least) we find ourselves shooting in.

Keeping my card safe INSIDE my camera often outweighs the "benefit" of lots
of little cards I may lose or destroy in teh endless fiddling...not to
mention the SHOTS I will inevitably MISS because I've once again run out of
space at the critical moment.

The BEST solution...is as follows (even if not the most economical):

Many LARGE cards.
This way, you can shoot non-stop in those fast paced moments where you HAVE
to get the shot...but can opt for removing/replacing the card even BEFORE it
is full if you're worried about data loss.

Personally...when you can buy 1GB sanDisk cards for $69 at costco, I think
even the multiple-big solution is even economically sound.
-Mark
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:01:55 AM

> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )
>
> I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
> Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

Overseas travel. I have six 1 GB CF cards and get about 240 shots on
each (20D, Large-Fine).

Phil
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:16:24 AM

> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )
>
> I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
> Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
>
> ......so much to learn...... ;o)

Hi...

The Peter Principle works nicely here - "things will
expand to fill the space available for their storage" :)

Yes, have several. Perhaps one large (relatively expensive)
one, and a few smaller ones.

If you should lose one, as a recent poster did, you haven't
lost everything.

If one should fail, as all things sooner or later do, you
won't have lost everything.

And if you're fortunate enough to live in a wonderful
community such as mine, you'll have "loaners".
Whichever of your relatives or neighbors is going off on
vacation gets to take them all - except for one of the
smaller ones you keep on hand for local photo ops.

Just my opinion.

Ken
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:16:25 AM

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> wrote:
> > I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> > from 64meg to 512meg.
> >
> > Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> > ( or any spares at all ? )
> >
> > I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> > When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> > capacity for 800+ pictures.
> >
> > Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> > would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
> >
> > ......so much to learn...... ;o)
>

> Hi...
>
> The Peter Principle works nicely here - "things will
> expand to fill the space available for their storage" :)
>
> Yes, have several. Perhaps one large (relatively expensive)
> one, and a few smaller ones.
>
> If you should lose one, as a recent poster did, you haven't
> lost everything.

On the other hand...the more numerous and small the cards...the greater the
likelihood of their loss or mishandling. In my opinion, the odds of loss or
destruction due to frequent handling in the field far out-weigh the risks
associated with data loss.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:23:12 AM

>From: Phil Wheeler w6tuh-ng5@yahoo.com

>Overseas travel. I have six 1 GB CF cards and get about 240 shots on
>each (20D, Large-Fine).

I had three 1 GB cards with me in Hawaii. I'd download those each night to the
laptop. Shooting in RAW mode, I still found myself running out of room on some
days. Guess I shoulda taken the laptop with me.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 3:07:11 AM

512mb is about right. If you edit in camera for exposure, sharpness, etc, as
you shoot, you can copy each card from the hard-drive to a cd for the client
to take away. It's more manageable for everyone concerned and saves time.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 3:09:01 AM

On 7/12/04 12:07 am, in article BDDAA503.C335%teflon@bluebottlefly.com,
"teflon" <teflon@bluebottlefly.com> wrote:

> 512mb is about right. If you edit in camera for exposure, sharpness, etc, as
> you shoot, you can copy each card from the hard-drive to a cd for the client
> to take away. It's more manageable for everyone concerned and saves time.

....plus, if one packs up, it's not the whole shoot.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 3:13:43 AM

annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980) wrote in

>>From: Phil Wheeler w6tuh-ng5@yahoo.com
>
>>Overseas travel. I have six 1 GB CF cards and get about 240 shots on
>>each (20D, Large-Fine).
>
> I had three 1 GB cards with me in Hawaii. I'd download those each
> night to the laptop. Shooting in RAW mode, I still found myself
> running out of room on some days. Guess I shoulda taken the laptop
> with me.

Dunno if you caught my post on the RCA Lyra, but it's serving me better
than simply buying lots more media.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 3:17:18 AM

Annika1980 wrote:

>>From: Phil Wheeler w6tuh-ng5@yahoo.com
>

>>Overseas travel. I have six 1 GB CF cards and get about 240 shots on
>>each (20D, Large-Fine).
>

> I had three 1 GB cards with me in Hawaii. I'd download those each night to the
> laptop. Shooting in RAW mode, I still found myself running out of room on some
> days. Guess I shoulda taken the laptop with me.

I travel with a 30 GB X-Drive II for that purpose.

Phil
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 3:19:07 AM

Eric Gill wrote:

> annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980) wrote in
>

>>>From: Phil Wheeler w6tuh-ng5@yahoo.com
>>
>>>Overseas travel. I have six 1 GB CF cards and get about 240 shots on
>>>each (20D, Large-Fine).
>>
>>I had three 1 GB cards with me in Hawaii. I'd download those each
>>night to the laptop. Shooting in RAW mode, I still found myself
>>running out of room on some days. Guess I shoulda taken the laptop
>>with me.
>

> Dunno if you caught my post on the RCA Lyra, but it's serving me better
> than simply buying lots more media.

I use a 30 GB X-Drive II for that -- and keep them on the card until I
need the space (backup).

Phil
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:16:13 AM

Phil Wheeler <w6tuh-ng5@yahoo.com> wrote in news:%F6td.3161$hd.3099
@twister.socal.rr.com:

> Eric Gill wrote:
>
>> annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980) wrote in

>>>I had three 1 GB cards with me in Hawaii. I'd download those each
>>>night to the laptop. Shooting in RAW mode, I still found myself
>>>running out of room on some days. Guess I shoulda taken the laptop
>>>with me.
>>

>> Dunno if you caught my post on the RCA Lyra, but it's serving me better
>> than simply buying lots more media.
>>

> I use a 30 GB X-Drive II for that -- and keep them on the card until I
> need the space (backup).

Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV out,
music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher pricetag.

For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a good choice,
especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism. Upgradeability is
not a feature of any of the players.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:34:51 AM

>From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com

>Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV out,
>music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher pricetag.
>
>For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a good choice,
>especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism. Upgradeability is
>not a feature of any of the players.

Also check out Epson's new digital wallet.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P...
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:40:49 AM

<RJ> wrote:
> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )

I use a single experimental 40 terabyte card.

Beta unit, real hush-hush. It's the size of a dalmatian and takes a
motorcycle battery, but I have yet to run short of storage.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:54:52 AM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
> >From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com
>
>>Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV out,
>>music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher pricetag.
>>
>>For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a good choice,
>>especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism. Upgradeability is
>>not a feature of any of the players.
>
> Also check out Epson's new digital wallet.
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P...

Thanks for that, Bret, it looks like a solution...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 9:14:54 AM

annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980) wrote in news:20041206223451.21925.00001727
@mb-m06.aol.com:

>>From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com
>
>>Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV out,
>>music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher pricetag.
>>
>>For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a good choice,
>>especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism. Upgradeability is
>>not a feature of any of the players.
>
> Also check out Epson's new digital wallet.
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P...

Looks like a very decent option, but it wasn't available when I bought the
Lyra. Unfortunately. Lyra doesn't support displaying RAW files, and the
battery isn't removeable, plus other spiffy options.

Ah, the price of impatience.
December 7, 2004 10:02:16 AM

> I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
> from 64meg to 512meg.
>
> Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
> ( or any spares at all ? )
>
> I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
> When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
> capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
> Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
> would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
>
> ......so much to learn...... ;o)
>
> <rj>

a small card is handy to transfer image files to a photo finisher, or just
to keep you from shooting 800 shots. for me, one 512 card holds some 32
shots with my 14mp kodak. but I still use them so I can copy the entire
card to one folder and then burn one back up cd by dragging it over to the
drive. eventually I will get a dvd burner and get some 4gb cards
December 7, 2004 11:02:16 AM

MarkĀ² wrote:

> "tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
>
>>Marcel wrote:
>>
>>>You don't want to change cards or worry about the numbers. You take your
>>>shots, whatever the number. You cull afterwards, yet you want to review
>
> the
>
>>>best shots later and the more shots you have, the better your chances of
>>>getting great souvenirs.
>>>Marcel
>>
>>You have a good point but it can be risky putting all your souvenirs in
>>one basket.
>

> Sometimes it works the other way though...
>
> Which is safer to carry?...
>
> ...A dozen eggs you must juggle in the air...or a basket that holds them
> all?
>
> Sometimes the basket is precisely what you should use.
>
> When shooting wildlife, or at the beach, or in the rain, or on the
> sidelines, or in the crowds, etc. etc.... Pulling tiny little drives out of
> sensitive equipment is the LAST things one should have to do with
> regularity. More often than not, I find security in NOT having to expose
> lots of little cards to the endless shuffling through the mayh dangerous
> environments (to cards, at least) we find ourselves shooting in.
>
> Keeping my card safe INSIDE my camera often outweighs the "benefit" of lots
> of little cards I may lose or destroy in teh endless fiddling...not to
> mention the SHOTS I will inevitably MISS because I've once again run out of
> space at the critical moment.
>
> The BEST solution...is as follows (even if not the most economical):
>
> Many LARGE cards.
> This way, you can shoot non-stop in those fast paced moments where you HAVE
> to get the shot...but can opt for removing/replacing the card even BEFORE it
> is full if you're worried about data loss.
>
> Personally...when you can buy 1GB sanDisk cards for $69 at costco, I think
> even the multiple-big solution is even economically sound.
> -Mark

Heck, I don't even have to do this (yet), and I agree 110% because,
knowing me the way I do, it all makes sense for all the right reaons.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

Darrell Larose writes:

>My 1 GB CF crad holds 70 Pentax RAW files (* ist D)

Or 56 TIFF, or 909 at the lowest JPEG setting. Quite a range.

Charlie Self
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."
Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:15:45 PM

"Charlie Self" <charliediy@aol.comnotforme> wrote in message
> Darrell Larose writes:
>

> >My 1 GB CF crad holds 70 Pentax RAW files (* ist D)
>
> Or 56 TIFF, or 909 at the lowest JPEG setting. Quite a range.

Actually at 1536x1024(s) "good" quality it will store 2832 images, in comic
book quality ;)  However I normally shoot RAW, or once and a while highest
quality JPEG.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:58:47 PM

On 6 Dec 2004 15:15:10 -0800, "thedeepabyss@whoever.com"
<thedeepabyss@whoever.com> wrote:

>1. What if you loose that one card? While on safari in central Africa?
>Nothing for 500 miles?
>2. What if the card breaks? While on safari etc.etc. It happens.
>3. What if you forgot to take off the 799 shots of Brittany Spears
>f#%&ing the mailman you happened to be in a position to take, and
>Sasquatch walks by? Do you format the card?

Show him the Brittany pix and he might follow you home, where
you can take as many shots of him as you want. Or he'll run the other
way.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:50:44 PM

thedeepabyss@whoever.com wrote:
> Seriously, I carry a 512MB (~150 pics with my camera on "super-high
> quality" JPEG), and a 256MB and a very old 96MB as spares. And I've
> used them all on numerous occasions.

Me too (haven't read that chestnut in a long while.)
But seriously, I also use a 512MB and carry spares of 256MB, 126MB,
and even the 32MB that came with my first digital camera.

> Also, you might want to increase the resolution of the pics you're
> taking, if possible. You only get one chance to take a picture; you
> should make it as good a shot as possible (within reason, of course -
> RAW may take too long). You won't get a chance to go back and shoot
> that exact same moment again.....

Agree with the "too long". With the cam I got, the max
resolution takes
so long to read to the card, I see three or four shots passing by, forever
missed. The next level down is noticably faster and I rarely notice
a substantial difference of the same scene taken both ways.
(Yes, with more money I could get a faster cam, but I deficit like
a government as it is ...)

But that last line grabs me - there are at least three pictures I
missed
for one reason or another (no camera; out of film; shutter not cocked
when I
thought it was) - and I remember the missed shots more strongly
than many that I did get. The images in my mind of missed shots also
seem more vivid and meaningful than even the beautiful ones I did
capture - those are frozen 'as is'. The mental images are only stored
in my head, but can't be altered by cropping, printing, mounting, etc.
The next advance in imaging technology ought to be transferring mental
images into digital. Can you imagine your dreams automatically
recorded on hard drive?
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:01:37 PM

Oh baby.

I've got four 1GB which get's me through the day with either my 300D or 1D.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:03:41 PM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
> >From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com
>
>>Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV out,
>>music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher pricetag.
>>
>>For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a good choice,
>>especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism. Upgradeability is
>>not a feature of any of the players.
>
> Also check out Epson's new digital wallet.
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P...

Why not simply tether the camera to a unit with a 80 GB Hard drive? Now
someone go take the credit for my idea and make a lot of money.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:03:42 PM

"you know who maybe" <nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message

> "Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com
>>
>>>Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV out,
>>>music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher pricetag.
>>>
>>>For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a good choice,
>>>especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism. Upgradeability is
>>>not a feature of any of the players.
>>
>> Also check out Epson's new digital wallet.
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P...
>
> Why not simply tether the camera to a unit with a 80 GB Hard drive? Now
> someone go take the credit for my idea and make a lot of money.

The limiting factor with your idea is either the bulk of the HD or the
length of tether...<G>

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:16:17 PM

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:16:24 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>The Peter Principle works nicely here - "things will
>expand to fill the space available for their storage" :)

Don't think that is the PP.
========
Peter Principle -- In an organization an individual will rise to his
level of incompetence.

-or-

Parkinson's Law -- Work will always expand to fill the time available
for its completion.
=======

Anyway I am taking four CF card to Hawaii next month. Always want
backup.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
December 7, 2004 7:16:18 PM

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:16:24 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>

>>The Peter Principle works nicely here - "things will
>>expand to fill the space available for their storage" :)
>

> Don't think that is the PP.
> ========
> Peter Principle -- In an organization an individual will rise to his
> level of incompetence.

pssst.. that's the wrong peter.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:16:17 GMT, tnguymNoSpamm@yaho.com
(TheNewsGuy(Mike)) wrote:

>Anyway I am taking four CF card to Hawaii next month. Always want
>backup.

I'd call it paranoia.

I'm only taking 2 x 1Gb CF cards and a lap top with a 160Gb external
drive to NZ.... And 2 camera bodies....
Pete S.

www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk

(TheNewsGuy(Mike)) wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:16:24 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
>wrote:
>

>>The Peter Principle works nicely here - "things will
>>expand to fill the space available for their storage" :)
>
>Don't think that is the PP.
>========
>Peter Principle -- In an organization an individual will rise to his
>level of incompetence.
>
>-or-
>
>Parkinson's Law -- Work will always expand to fill the time available
>for its completion.
>=======
>
>Anyway I am taking four CF card to Hawaii next month. Always want
>backup.

If you see Brett there, give him a slap. Not that he particularly
deserves it, but you'll feel better and so will I.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:03:41 GMT, "you know who maybe"
<nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:

>"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com
>>
>>>Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV out,
>>>music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher pricetag.
>>>
>>>For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a good choice,
>>>especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism. Upgradeability is
>>>not a feature of any of the players.
>>
>> Also check out Epson's new digital wallet.
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P...
>
>Why not simply tether the camera to a unit with a 80 GB Hard drive? Now
>someone go take the credit for my idea and make a lot of money.

Oh, a laptop with a firewire.......

Pete S.

www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk
December 8, 2004 1:44:39 AM

William H. Hathaway wrote:

> thedeepabyss@whoever.com wrote:
>
>> Seriously, I carry a 512MB (~150 pics with my camera on "super-high
>> quality" JPEG), and a 256MB and a very old 96MB as spares. And I've
>> used them all on numerous occasions.
>>

> Me too (haven't read that chestnut in a long while.)
> But seriously, I also use a 512MB and carry spares of 256MB, 126MB,
> and even the 32MB that came with my first digital camera.
>
>> Also, you might want to increase the resolution of the pics you're
>> taking, if possible. You only get one chance to take a picture; you
>> should make it as good a shot as possible (within reason, of course -
>> RAW may take too long). You won't get a chance to go back and shoot
>> that exact same moment again.....
>

> Agree with the "too long". With the cam I got, the max resolution
> takes
> so long to read to the card, I see three or four shots passing by, forever
> missed. The next level down is noticably faster and I rarely notice
> a substantial difference of the same scene taken both ways.
> (Yes, with more money I could get a faster cam, but I deficit like
> a government as it is ...)
>
> But that last line grabs me - there are at least three pictures I missed
> for one reason or another (no camera; out of film; shutter not cocked
> when I
> thought it was) - and I remember the missed shots more strongly
> than many that I did get. The images in my mind of missed shots also
> seem more vivid and meaningful than even the beautiful ones I did
> capture - those are frozen 'as is'. The mental images are only stored
> in my head, but can't be altered by cropping, printing, mounting, etc.
> The next advance in imaging technology ought to be transferring mental
> images into digital. Can you imagine your dreams automatically
> recorded on hard drive?

Interesting you mention this, but someone has already explored the idea
of recording memories for others to view.... and a large bag of popcorn
is strongly recommended.

====================================
Plot Summary for the film "Brainstorm" (1983)

Brilliant researchers Lillian Reynolds and Michael Brace have developed
a system of recording and playing back actual experiences of people.
Once the capability of tapping into "higher brain functions" is added
in, and you can literally jump into someone else's head and play back
recordings of what he or she was thinking, feeling, seeing, etc., at the
time of the recording, the applications for the project quickly spiral
out of control. While Michael Brace uses the system to become close
again to Karen Brace, his estranged wife who also works on the project,
others start abusing it for intense sexual experiences and other logical
but morally questionable purposes. The government tries to kick Michael
and Lillian off the project once the vast military potential of the
technology is discovered. It soon becomes obvious that the government is
interested in more than just missile guidance systems. The lab starts
producing mind torture recordings and other psychosis inducing material.
When one of the researchers dies and tapes the experience of death,
Michael is convinced that he must playback this tape to honor the memory
of the researcher and to become enlightened. When another researcher
dies during playback the tape is locked away and Michael has to fight
against his former colleagues and the government lackeys that now run
his lab in order to play back and confront the "scariest thing any of us
will ever face" - death itself.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085271/plotsummary

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:46:08 -0700, "<RJ>" <baranick@localnet.com>
wrote:

>I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
>from 64meg to 512meg.
>
>Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
>( or any spares at all ? )
>
>I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
>When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
>capacity for 800+ pictures.
>
>Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
>would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?
>
>......so much to learn...... ;o)
>
><rj>
_______

We had exactly 800 people in my senior high school class. So ...

Marshall
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 5:44:43 AM

you know who maybe wrote:
> "Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com
>>
>>> Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV
>>> out, music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher
>>> pricetag. For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a
>>> good
>>> choice, especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism.
>>> Upgradeability is not a feature of any of the players.
>>
>> Also check out Epson's new digital wallet.
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P...
>
> Why not simply tether the camera to a unit with a 80 GB Hard drive?
> Now someone go take the credit for my idea and make a lot of money.

Better yet - forego tethers and touchy memory devices completely! All
we have to do is figure out a way to coat something - some kind of flat
plastic perhaps? - with some sort of light sensitive material. You
could then conveniently download the day's shoot to your corner drug
store...

I will happily give up all rights to my idea, all I ask in return is
that this amazing new miracle product be called "Bob".

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:09:31 AM

"you know who maybe" <nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in news:xvktd.9917$_
3.117040@typhoon.sonic.net:

> "Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com
>>
>>>Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV out,
>>>music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher pricetag.
>>>
>>>For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a good choice,
>>>especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism. Upgradeability is
>>>not a feature of any of the players.
>>
>> Also check out Epson's new digital wallet.
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P...
>
> Why not simply tether the camera to a unit with a 80 GB Hard drive?

Because of the tether.

No one wants it. It's annoying enough in the studio, in the field it's a
royal pain.

The Wi-Fi attachment is another issue altogether.

> Now
> someone go take the credit for my idea and make a lot of money.

Don't look now, but such things have been around for some time.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 5:48:40 PM

"Pete S." wrote:

> I'm only taking 2 x 1Gb CF cards and a lap top with a 160Gb external
> drive to NZ.... And 2 camera bodies....
> Pete S.
>
> www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk

Fear not, Pete. You can always buy more cards out here in NZ, which you
will probably need if you get to see some of the scenery here {:-)

Colin (NZ)
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 5:48:41 PM

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:48:40 +1300, Colin D
<ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

>"Pete S." wrote:
>
>> I'm only taking 2 x 1Gb CF cards and a lap top with a 160Gb external
>> drive to NZ.... And 2 camera bodies....
>> Pete S.
>>
>> www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk
>
>Fear not, Pete. You can always buy more cards out here in NZ, which you
>will probably need if you get to see some of the scenery here {:-)
>
>Colin (NZ)

So they have stuff like that out there? Bugger.......

Last trip I was on a roll a day. This trip I won't have film
limitations (how much can I carry) and I'll know what I took straight
away.

Flying friday.

Pete S.

www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 10:08:22 PM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:50:44 +0000, "William H. Hathaway"
<hathaway@stsci.edu> wrote:

>The next advance in imaging technology ought to be transferring mental
>images into digital. Can you imagine your dreams automatically
>recorded on hard drive?

Yes, I'd get arrested.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:17:18 GMT, Phil Wheeler <w6tuh-ng5@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Annika1980 wrote:
>
>>>From: Phil Wheeler w6tuh-ng5@yahoo.com
>>

>>>Overseas travel. I have six 1 GB CF cards and get about 240 shots on
>>>each (20D, Large-Fine).
>>

>> I had three 1 GB cards with me in Hawaii. I'd download those each night to the
>> laptop. Shooting in RAW mode, I still found myself running out of room on some
>> days. Guess I shoulda taken the laptop with me.
>>

>I travel with a 30 GB X-Drive II for that purpose.
>
>Phil

While that works well for you, I find that a laptop makes a better
companion for myself.
There's a lot to be said for being able to see the pics you shot in
Yellowstone later that night in the cabin.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

On 6 Dec 2004 15:15:10 -0800, "thedeepabyss@whoever.com"
<thedeepabyss@whoever.com> wrote:

>1. What if you loose that one card? While on safari in central Africa?
>Nothing for 500 miles?
>2. What if the card breaks? While on safari etc.etc. It happens.

Well, so much for that safari I was going to take. :-)
>3. What if you forgot to take off the 799 shots of Brittany Spears
>f#%&ing the mailman you happened to be in a position to take, and
>Sasquatch walks by? Do you format the card?

You kick yourself for not having a video camera.

>Seriously, I carry a 512MB (~150 pics with my camera on "super-high
>quality" JPEG), and a 256MB and a very old 96MB as spares. And I've
>used them all on numerous occasions.

I have 1gigx1 and 512MBx2 cards for my DR; with the laptop, that's
been enough so far.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Big Bill wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:17:18 GMT, Phil Wheeler <w6tuh-ng5@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

>>>I had three 1 GB cards with me in Hawaii. I'd download those each night to the
>>>laptop. Shooting in RAW mode, I still found myself running out of room on some
>>>days. Guess I shoulda taken the laptop with me.
>>>

>>I travel with a 30 GB X-Drive II for that purpose.
>>
>>Phil
>

> While that works well for you, I find that a laptop makes a better
> companion for myself.
> There's a lot to be said for being able to see the pics you shot in
> Yellowstone later that night in the cabin.

Quite true, and one reason I HAVE a laptop, but it sure weighs a lot
more than a small box of CF cards....
!