Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard and BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
January 1, 2011 4:15:25 PM

I just encountered this problem this morning.

I wanted to do a clean install of Windows 7 (currently have XP). I put the install disc in and rebooted. Upon reboot, it didn't start the install. Instead it displayed an ACPI blue screen. I took the disc out, restarted, and then tried to go into BIOS setup to set my DVD ahead of my HDD in bootup sequence. Once I got into the BIOS setup, my keyboard wouldn't work. I unplugged the system and waited about 10 minutes, restarted, and got into Windows fine. Then I restarted out of Windows and tried to get into the BIOS setup again, and once into it, the keyboard wouldn't work.

Any ideas?

More about : keyboard bios

a c 222 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 4:29:35 PM

Sounds like your system isn't configured to support "legacy devices" in the BIOS. If you have access to a PS2 keyboard and your system has a PS2 port, you can get into the BIOS and make the needed changes. You can also try another USB keyboard. Once you enable the needed USB device support in the BIOS, you should be fine.

Good luck!
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 4:31:47 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Were you able to get into the BIOS before with the same KB/Mouse? I would Clear CMOS using the jumper method {or Clear CMOS button is your MOBO has one}.

Q - What MOBO including revision and BIOS version?

It seems like you have a non-OS issue if you didn't update your BIOS and if you could access it before. A BSOD is an OS issue, I generally recommend a new HDD or a newly formatted HDD before installing any OS, Clearing the BIOS, and making whatever changes to the BIOS per the new OS ALL before installing the OS.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2011 4:36:16 PM

I couldn't even get the keyboard to work beyond an arrow move or two in order to change that setting. I did power down, remove the battery, and let it sit for about 15 mins. That seemed to work long enough for me to set the DVD as primary boot. Let's see how long it lasts!

I should also mention that prior to this all happening, I got the ACPI blue screen. I'm not sure why.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 4:36:24 PM

I agree with using a PS/2 KB/M, but still if you could access the BIOS before and not now it isn't an OS issue.

I doubt disabling USB Legacy support is the issue, but it the OP also disabled USB 1.0/1.1 support then YES the USB KB/M will 9/10 fail.

If it's a USB change the Clear CMOS will correct the problem.
-
COLGeek and I were posting/typing at the same time...
m
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 4:39:41 PM

jaquith said:
I agree with using a PS/2 KB/M, but still if you could access the BIOS before and not now it isn't an OS issue.

I doubt disabling USB Legacy support is the issue, but it the OP also disabled USB 1.0/1.1 support then YES the USB KB/M will 9/10 fail.

If it's a USB change the Clear CMOS will correct the problem.
-
COLGeek and I were posting/typing at the same time...

+1 to jaquith.
m
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 4:42:14 PM

BTW, I usually configure USB settings to support all modes to minimize these sorts of issues. Won't address all problems, but will catch many. Good advice from jaquith above.
m
l
January 1, 2011 4:46:28 PM

Back to square 1. Got into the Windows install screen and after a few keystrokes, it stopped working. I don't have a PS2 KB lying around...all my KBs are USB. I guess I could run to Microcenter and pick one up.

Does removing the battery/powering down reset the BIOS entire to default settings?

BTW, the MOBO is an evga 680i P33 BIOS version.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 4:48:25 PM

mfratella said:
I did power down, remove the battery, and let it sit for about 15 mins. That seemed to work long enough for me to set the DVD as primary boot. Let's see how long it lasts!

I should also mention that prior to this all happening, I got the ACPI blue screen. I'm not sure why.

IF the MOBO is old and you're having this problem the MOBO may be beginning to fail or the BIOS has 'somehow' gotten corrupted :(  Also, sometimes older PSU beginning throwing 'Dirty Power' and the MOBO and in doing so cause all sorts of 'oddball' INIT failures.

Q - Did you recently flash your BIOS?
m
l
January 1, 2011 4:49:24 PM

jaquith said:
IF the MOBO is old and you're having this problem the MOBO may be beginning to fail or the BIOS has 'somehow' gotten corrupted :(  Also, sometimes older PSU beginning throwing 'Dirty Power' and the MOBO and in doing so cause all sorts of 'oddball' INIT failures.

Q - Did you recently flash your BIOS?

Flashed about a month ago. The board is 4 years old.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 4:50:47 PM

mfratella said:
Does removing the battery/powering down reset the BIOS entire to default settings?

BTW, the MOBO is an evga 680i P33 BIOS version.

It's NOT the method that I recommend, I would look at your Manual for the Jumpers and do it that way. Also, until the problem is corrected I would NOT recommend a BIOS flash.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 4:55:59 PM

I guess the $100 question, is what prompted the BIOS update? Were you having problems, or just 'got in the mood'?
m
l
January 1, 2011 5:01:08 PM

Just got in the mood. Probably a bad idea.

Now I got it to the "Loading Windows Components" from the install disc and then it went to the ACPI blue screen saying my BIOS isn't ACPI compliant. Then when I reboot, the keyboard doesn't work and it sits at "Press any key to boot from DVD.

Ugh!!
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 5:19:30 PM

My 'Best Guesses' 1. MOBO dying a slow death, 2. PSU ditto.

If you have another PSU then nows the time to try it; often I good/bad tell people to buy and return a PSU from Best Buy {electronics store} with a Good Return Policy.

4-5 years of use is not what you want to hear, but it's a typical time for PITA failures. I hope it's the PSU... I seriously doubt a BIOS flash 4 months ago and as you described is the root problem.

Q - What PSU -- if it's an Antec I wouldn't be too surprised, or if the PSU is not 25-30% over-sized for the power requirements.

PSU Calculator - http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
{see item #4 at bottom}
m
l
January 1, 2011 5:36:00 PM

It's an OCZ PSU.

Now it seems that I can get to the Windows screen from the install disc, but it gives me the ACPI BSOD. I went into BIOS and disabled ACPI and same thing.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 6:21:32 PM

Just for kicks, disconnect anything USB {yes even the KB/Mouse} and if your DVD is IDE then also that cable. Let's rule-out a defective device. Then start adding 'stuff' one at a time to see if a bad cable or device is the cause.

After the zero attachments, next add the mouse keyboard, after a restart - next the DVD.

Often Windows 7 doesn't like IDE DVD's, but I don't even know if your DVD is IDE.
m
l
January 1, 2011 6:28:03 PM

I'm going to try one last, simple thing before anything else...replacing the battery. The BSOD ACPI happened before I even started trying to install 7, so I don't think it has anything to do with it.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 6:38:10 PM

Yep good point, lets hope it's a $2 battery! My fingers are crossed!

I've seen cat/dog bite a cable. or otherwise bad device and poof - similar error.
m
l
January 1, 2011 6:56:10 PM

Replaced the battery and back into XP. I'm going to try installing 7 in a minute. Do you think I should reflash the BIOS just in case I have a corruption? I noticed that in the release notes for P33 that they supposedly fixed ACPI issues.
m
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 8:51:09 PM

You have nothing to lose by flashing the BIOS IMHO.

BTW, as jaquith pointed out earlier. We once have a laptop (IBM back in the day) that was destroyed by our 2 month old dalmation puppy. She had nipped the trackball wire and we didn't notice it until my wife turned on the machine to do some school work. Poof! Fried motherboard. Actually found a retailer (early 90s) via Computer Shopper that sold used IBM products and purchased a "new" mobo for the fried system.

Back in the day when men were men, and sheep were scared.....
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 9:32:38 PM

Did the new battery correct the problem? If so and everything is working now then leave good enough alone... However, if the problem is still present ***AND*** while in the BIOS it isn't shutting-down the PC then it couldn't hurt to use the latest BIOS and/or re-flash the same version if there's no newer version available.
m
l
January 1, 2011 9:54:24 PM

The keyboard problem in BIOS still happens every now and then, but nothing that a restart doesn't fix. However, I'm still having problems when I'm trying to install Win 7. It keeps giving me the ACPI error, even though the BIOS is ACPI compliant and has the ACPI option. I'm at my wit's end. I'd hate to have to go out and spend $200 on a new MOBO.
m
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 10:50:03 PM

Did you flash the BIOS to the latest version? If not, give it a try. You have nothing to lose.
m
l
January 1, 2011 11:11:56 PM

I did. I've been playing around with different settings in it and still nothing. No luck on the evga forums either.

I did manage to get to the install screen with no BSOD, but it wouldn't create a partition (which seemingly is a common problem), so I restarted after disconnecting one of my HDDs (which was a solution to the partition problem) and have never been able to get back to the install screen. Not sure why it would have worked once but never again.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 11:30:18 PM

You NEVER want (2) HDDs or partitioned HDDs with an old OS trying to install a new OS.

IF you can use another Keyboard, as mentioned, preferably a PS/2 type AND it's stable while in the BIOS then re-flash.

I would recommend a full reformatting of the 'C' HDD {use a HDD formatting utility} then reinstall Windows 7.
m
l
January 2, 2011 12:16:31 AM

I finally got it to work. Not sure why, but I enabled SpeedStep and it seemed to work.

I ended up installing it after using the "format" option that the installation prog gave. Do you think I should reformat C: again with a util and then reinstall?
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 12:36:00 AM

No, if it's working - leave it be!

Huh!? how did you come up with that combo? I know about SpeedStep dependency to ACPI tables but not visa versa. I know OC can corrupt the ACPI tables, so duh maybe the change caused the tables {which could have been corrupted} to be rewritten??!!

I've gotta do some research on that one!
m
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 1:14:46 AM

jaquith said:
No, if it's working - leave it be!

Huh!? how did you come up with that combo? I know about SpeedStep dependency to ACPI tables but not visa versa. I know OC can corrupt the ACPI tables, so duh maybe the change caused the tables {which could have been corrupted} to be rewritten??!!

I've gotta do some research on that one!

Odd o to me as well. Jaquith, if you figure this one out, please share the results.

For mrfratella, are you using one of the motherboards default or performance profiles? Or, are you tweaking yourself? Just wondering.

I agree with jaquith. If stable, leave "C" alone and proceed with your other apps/drivers/updates.
m
l
January 2, 2011 10:20:24 AM

The installation seemed to be stable until I restarted this morning. The ACPI BSOD came up. I reset using my front panel button and it seemed to work. I'm just not sure why my BIOS is causing such problems. I have posted in the evga forums and hope someone from there can shed some light on it.

Thanks to you all for being so helpful!!
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 1:29:33 PM

I don't know what you tried and didn't try per above? But I would go through the regiment of eliminating Devices as I've suggested above. If this was a NEW build then I wouldn't have been surprised with a short/grounding from the case {standoffs or I/O shield}. Therefore, perhaps it's time to breadboard or my version of the lazy man's way --> unscrew all of the MOBO screws and pull the {dangle} the MOBO away from any contact with the I/O Shield.

Further, IF this all happened immediately after a BIOS update then I would seek to find out 'what BIOS changes' a the NEW vs OLD 'Default Settings'. Yes, often BIOS updates change settings -- fix A & break B. But 4 months tends to rule-out that problem.

At this stage it couldn't hurt to re-flash the BIOS, or maybe {if possible} downgrade the BIOS version.

I 'assume' that you also downloaded and installed the Windows 7 drivers:
Driver Version : 15.53
Release Date: 03/15/2010
WHQL Certified : YES
Driver File : Download
Notes : NONE
http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/

---

I know how frustrating this can be :(  been there.
m
l
January 8, 2011 8:09:32 PM

Thought I had resolved all my issues...it was working well for a couple days and then started again. So, I got a new PSU, just in case it was the PSU...same thing happening...giving me the CPU/BIOS error, then it would get to the Windows Startup Error screen and my keyboard wouldn't work so I could move to select "Start Windows." It went into repair mode and directly to the blue ACPI screen.

No clue what else I can do.
m
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
January 8, 2011 9:50:23 PM

You may simply have a defective motherboard. Sorry for your hassles.
m
l
!