Last minute advice on an i5 750 gaming rig

Gabrion

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
PPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Ordering tonight BUDGET RANGE: ~$1100-$1200

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, other daily use (all of which is less intense)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I need all the stuff that goes in the case. I don't need mouse, keyboard, monitor, or OS.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Prefer newegg, but if there is a cheaper place I'm open to suggestions. (live in the US if that matters)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Planning to use an i5 750 processor. Also I'm fairly set on the case listed below, though I could be talked out of it if there is some compelling reason not to use.

OVERCLOCKING: I would like to OC, but mostly because I haven't done so before and it sounds interesting. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not at the moment, but I plan to add a second card in the future.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: My "monitor" will be a 32" HDTV with 1900x1080 resolution (I think that is right).

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I've done a fair bit of research and have most of the things I want picked out, I'm just posting this here to get any 11th hour suggestions before I pull the trigger. I would especially like to know if any of the things I'm ordering are incompatible or if there are things I'm leaving out altogether (ie should I be buying more aftermarket cooling parts?). Thanks!

Case: NZXT Lexa Blackline

Mobo: Biostar T5 XE 1156

PSU: Corsair 750TX

CPU: i5 750 with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and Tuniq TX-2 paste

RAM: G Skill 4 GB DDR3 1600

Video Card: Sapphire 5850

Hard Drive: Western Digital 640 GB

Optical Drive: HP Multi-Drive

All this adds up to about $1100. I just want to make sure it's money well spent!

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
There isn't anything blatantly wrong with what you picked.

Personally, I would have picked a different PSU and case so I could get a gtx 470 or a 5870.

But there isn't anything terrible about your build.

Gabrion

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

Could you elaborate a little bit? I assume referring to the PSU you are saying that this 750W won't be enough if I try to run a 5850 and a 5870 in crossfire. Is that right?

As for the case, how would it restrict my ability to add something like another card? Thanks!

rurpline

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I love the i5 750, I considered the i7 but after using the i5 I am completely satisfied. My system is no monster but when gaming I have no regrets. Even with my outdated 8800 I still play everything on med to high settings.