Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can My CPU Cooler Face This Way?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 1, 2011 4:39:43 PM

I just installed a cpu cooler on my intel i7 chip, on a x58 motherboard, is it facing the wrong way? the fan faces the RAM

http://img148.imageshack.us/i/img0026xj.jpg/

THANKS

More about : cpu cooler face

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 5:19:17 PM

yutubemedia said:
I just installed a cpu cooler on my intel i7 chip, on a x58 motherboard, is it facing the wrong way? the fan faces the RAM

http://img148.imageshack.us/i/img0026xj.jpg/

THANKS


The fan is pulling the air from the fron of the case pushing it through the heatsink and out to the rear case fan, which removes the hot air from the case, so it is currently (as in the pic) mounted as it should be, for optimal case airflow.
m
0
l
January 1, 2011 5:32:31 PM

lothdk said:
The fan is pulling the air from the fron of the case pushing it through the heatsink and out to the rear case fan, which removes the hot air from the case, so it is currently (as in the pic) mounted as it should be, for optimal case airflow.


But isnt the cpu fan Exhausting the hot air? I mean sucking the hot air out? So it would be blowing it towards the Ram sticks, are you sure its an intake or outtake fan?

thanks
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 172 à CPUs
January 1, 2011 5:59:24 PM

It really depends on which way you have the fan oriented.

In every case (aircooling) that I am aware of, front and side fans are intake and top and back fans are exhaust. You do not want your CPU fan to fight the air flow.
m
0
l
January 1, 2011 7:37:46 PM

jsc said:
It really depends on which way you have the fan oriented.

In every case (aircooling) that I am aware of, front and side fans are intake and top and back fans are exhaust. You do not want your CPU fan to fight the air flow.


But isnt the cpu fan Exhausting the hot air? I mean sucking the hot air out? So it would be blowing it towards the Ram sticks, are you sure its an intake or outtake fan?

thanks
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 7:39:08 PM

yutubemedia said:
But isnt the cpu fan Exhausting the hot air? I mean sucking the hot air out? So it would be blowing it towards the Ram sticks, are you sure its an intake or outtake fan?

thanks


No, if you look at the fan blades, they mirror the blades on your rear and top exhaust fans, they blow in the same direction (rear and heatsink) so they keep a uniform airflow.
If the fan was flipped it would pull air through the heatsink from the rear, pushing it towards the memory modules, thus interrupting the airflow of the case.
m
0
l
a c 207 V Motherboard
a c 198 à CPUs
January 1, 2011 7:54:23 PM

CPU fan should blow from front to rear.
m
0
l
January 1, 2011 9:33:09 PM

lothdk said:
No, if you look at the fan blades, they mirror the blades on your rear and top exhaust fans, they blow in the same direction (rear and heatsink) so they keep a uniform airflow.
If the fan was flipped it would pull air through the heatsink from the rear, pushing it towards the memory modules, thus interrupting the airflow of the case.



Okay Gotcha, I wasnt sure because either way the fan faces, the motor could turn the blades either way depending on how its made. But thats good to hear! Now i dont have to re apply it, THANKS
m
0
l
January 2, 2011 9:11:30 AM

yutubemedia said:
Okay Gotcha, I wasnt sure because either way the fan faces, the motor could turn the blades either way depending on how its made. But thats good to hear! Now i dont have to re apply it, THANKS


Generally the fan will blow in the direction of the concave side of the fins.
m
0
l
January 2, 2011 2:00:28 PM

Most computer case fans should have arrows at its side indicating the direction of airflow.
m
0
l
!