Is it safe to use a 3 pin case fan Y splitter adapter

willmiller82

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
I just bought all the parts to my new computer and was wiring it up when i ran into a problem. My motherboard only supports 3 case fans, but my Case came with 4 fans. I've been calling around and I cant seem to find a local retailer that sells the Y splitter, and one actually told me that if I tried to use a Y splitter I might damage the motherboard because each 3 pin receptor is only meant to power one fan at a time. If i cant plug my last fan into my mother board what other options do I have to power and control the RPM's? Once again your guys's help is much apreactiated.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
There's enough power going through a 3-pin header to do 2 fans - I wouldn't want to push it beyond that unless you have a powered splitter.

Same goes for 4-pin PWM headers - you can get away with 2 but don't push it.

Alternatively, if you don't mind you case fans running at full tilt all the time, you can get a molex to 3-pin adaptor and run the fans directly from the PSU - plenty of power on a single molex to drive 4 fans.

willmiller82

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Ya i was hoping i could solve it with something a little more quick and dirty than an actual fan controller. I think im gonna try to run both off a y splitter. I might run it threw the PSU with a molex adapter but i would like to have some control over the fan speed.

rayP_49

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Have a look at the Akasa AK-CB002 PWM fan splitter cable. It powers three fans from a single PSU molex connection and provides PWM control alongside the CPU fan.

Check you BIOS settings to find out how many fans can be monitored and controlled.

Quite a few motherboards with multiple fan connections only monitor and control the cpu heatsink fan and one other fan. If you're lucky the system might monitor two other fans. For example, my Asus motherboard has four fan connections but only monitors and controls two fans.

The easiest thing to do is to connect the exhaust fan on the rear panel to the power supply using a 3 pin to molex adapter. I don't know which case you have but that fan on the rear panel is probably the main exhaust fan. Wouldn't hurt to run it full speed to remove as much hot air as possible.