New system Restarts shortly after POST

BlackKnight7891

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
New home built computer is restarting about 5 seconds after post.

The system was built last night and didnt seem to have any problems Windows 7 install completed and motherboard\video card drivers installed.

The system was working this morning but suddenly started to cut power and restart. Since then its restarting just after post checks.

Gigabyte x58-UD5
Core i7-930
G skill tri channel ddr3 ram
2 dvd writers (unsure what brand they were stripped from an old computer)
1 Blu-ray player
2 Hdd
Seagate 1.5tb
320gb sata 2 from the old computer
Silverstone Strider Plus ST85F
2 radeon xfx black edition 5850's

Unplugged a usb hard drive.

I have also tried the PC in a different wall outlet (originally connected to a very full power board)

This particular power supply doesnt have a power switch it i have had the PC unplugged from the wall for 20 minutes it lasted for about 10 minutes.

I dont believe thier should be any strain on the power supply its 850watts.

I did have to remove the heat sink from one of the RAM sticks as it wouldn't fit under the Noctua ND14.

The problem may very well be with the RAM module without the heatsink is over heating when i get to it tonight i will remove the module and test without it. i dont think i damaged it removing the heatsink as it worked properly for a good two hours last night before being intentionally shut down.

any other ideas apart from the RAM module faulty\ over heating.

cmcghee358

Distinguished

PSU imo. Maybe a loose connector? I'd open it all back up and check every PSU connection.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I'm sure the more knowledgeable electrical engineer types can comment, but 1 12V rail on an 850W PSU with 72A seems, idk kinda crappy?

I'm not going to bash your PSU manufacturer, because after I purchased mine I read nothing but negative reviews. Mine still functions well but it's scary for me.

I learned my lesson from this one, only going to buy reputable PSUs, not saying yours isnt but if its not the big 2 most people will cite the manufacturer for most issues

I am definately babbling at this point.

What I would do? Pull a Gfx card, reconnect all the cables and fire it up. See what happens.

BlackKnight7891

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I always thought that silverstone was a pretty decent manufacturer.

but correct me if im wrong Watts = Volts x amps

Amps = watts / volts
332/12= 27.6667amps

PSU calculator estimates the total power consumption for the system at 485 watts but if i assume higher say 650w

650/12=54.1amps

point being it shouldnt be reaching anywhere near the PSU's limit

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Well theres not alot to work on here really. 5 sec after POST it goes ka-put.

So it's kinda stabbing in the dark till we find out whats wrong. Me personally for something like this I start at the PSU and go from there.

Did you tweak anything in the BIOS while the computer was functioning?

If you suspect that RAM, pull the RAM. Either way, it's best to do each "fix" independently of each other so you can isolate the fault.

BlackKnight7891

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
the strange thing is it was working last night without a problem i was able to install windows. reboot then install drivers ect. running well for over 2 hours. after that the only hardware change was a USB drive was connected. removing it didnt resolve the problem.

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Be more specific about everything that lead up to the apparent crash?

All we really know is it was a new build that worked fine, now it wont POST, and there was an external drive hooked up.

Did it even crash or was it shutdown normally? Was it a BSOD?

More info you give the more we can narrow down the behavior to a component or software

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Awesome. That's what it sounded like to me, a loose connector from the PSU! I'm glad it wasn't anything really complicated, because you didn't have alot to go on.

That's about right for a good 850. Unrealistic, mind you. 12 volts X 72 amps = 862 watts. You will need to use some 3.3 and 5 volt power also.

Corsair TX750 has 60 amp 12 volt rail.