Fastest hard drive config? SSD or STD in RAID 0?

mcdonsco

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I'm wondering what the fastest hard drive config would be? I don't want to build a system (though I can, just don't care to mess with it anymore) so I'll likely be buying one from someone like Dell / Alienware or Lenovo...But I'm wondering what is the fastest HDD config I can get?

Seems like most any manufacturer will do in a raid 0 with ssd's is 2 drives - is this a limit on doing raid with ssd's? If so, would 4 std fast hdd's in a raid 0 be faster than say two intel 520's in raid 0?

Currently I don't use a lot of storage and I'd rather have speed than space, with that said though I do still want 500gb's total storage or better and would prefer 2tb but cost will determine if I get that or not.

Sooo...2x intel 520 ssd's (or similar) in raid 0 or 4x 10,000rpm (or similar) 16mb+ cache hdd's in raid 0? (and again, can 4x ssd's even be done, or if it can is there not much of a benefit to 4 of them vs. 2?)

Thanks!

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Personally I did not see any speed benifit to running SSDs in raid. I was running 2x128s in a RAID 0 and traded them out for a single 256. The single drive was signifigantly faster. I used my standard drives in a Raid 0 for pure storage space.

Flare

Well actually the 1 SSD would be faster than 4 disks in raid 0 so 2 will be insanely much faster. I went from a 5 disk raid 0 disks to just a sata 2 SSD and it is so much faster also the transfer rate was the same on both setups it is the access time that makes you feel the diffrence. I would never go back and i have a slower ssd Kingston 90 gig.

thent

mcdonsco

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Thanks for the quick replies!

I have an SSD in my laptop now, so I'm pretty familiar with the speed increase of a single SSD. I'm looking for the absolute fastest hard drive configuration possible (within reason; I'm not rich by any means, but I'm willing to shell out more to get a stupid fast hdd setup).

Basically, here's what I'm doing. I'm finding now with tablets I don't use my laptop as a portable system very often, usually just have my tablet instead and when I go out of town that's where the laptop comes in.

So I've decided to go back to a standard desktop system, using tablet for on the go and keep my existing laptop with a base factory load on it just to use it to connect remote desktop to my desktop system when I travel out of town.

Knowing the hard drive is the bottleneck of any/all systems I prefer to maximize it's performance with any system I get...I've just been out of the tech/geek world for a while now and have been laptop only during that time so I'm not real familiar with what the fastests configs for a desktop would be.

Just get the biggest Single sata 3 SSD you can get you will not feel much diffrence between a single or a raid 0 SSD I mean when Windows boots in 10 seconds and almost all apps start in 1 second (This is my own experience) yes I could get faster SSD but I think I am waiting on my CPU at this point already I mean how much faster can things happen at what point is half a second faster something I need LOL. I guess the answer is fastest will be raid 0 SSD 2 drives but you will loose trim unless you have the newest intel drivers I hear it might be possible now.

Thent

EVilQTip

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Ok my Experience is Raid 0 is outstanding! But sometimes when you boot down completely then power up after a day or so sometime it won't boot. other than that small problem which can happen with some motherboards raid 0 using two SSD's as one drive can give you insane loading speeds! Loading a game you can jump up and run off before anybody would even know and are still loading in multi player. I loved Raid 0 when I used it for it's like making your hard drives like dual CPU's running things way faster with no boggle or crashes due to overload.