Cannot play Thief 1 missions ( XP )

Last response: in Video Games
May 1, 2005 9:49:55 PM

Recently i wanted to play a thief 1 mission. Darkloader greyed out the
"Play"-button.
I installed thief 1 - no change. Do i have to deinstall thief 2 to
make thief 1-missions playable or is it an XP-matter?
Thanks for an answer

More about : play thief missions

May 1, 2005 10:57:45 PM

"flupp" <w.haederle.skipthat@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:o f5a71hf4p8bffc3191mhqjr2co8i5acdj@4ax.com
> Recently i wanted to play a thief 1 mission. Darkloader
> greyed out the "Play"-button.
> I installed thief 1 - no change. Do i have to deinstall
> thief 2 to make thief 1-missions playable or is it an
> XP-matter?
> Thanks for an answer

I know it sounds silly, but I've actually done it
myself......wrong Thief CD in the computer ?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:57:17 AM

flupp wrote:
> Recently i wanted to play a thief 1 mission. Darkloader greyed out the
> "Play"-button.
> I installed thief 1 - no change. Do i have to deinstall thief 2 to
> make thief 1-missions playable or is it an XP-matter?

Sometimes Darkloader gets confused: I've seen it try to start a T2
mission by invoking T1. Could be something like that. Reinstalling
it helps -- but it may cause problems with your current saves unless
you know to manage those things by hand. Perhaps it's enough to remove
some configuration file, and let Darkloader rebuild it -- I've never
gone that deeply into the problem.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
May 2, 2005 2:12:28 AM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 21:57:17 GMT Anders Thulin said :

>flupp wrote:
>> Recently i wanted to play a thief 1 mission. Darkloader greyed out the
>> "Play"-button.
>
> Sometimes Darkloader gets confused: I've seen it try to start a T2
>mission by invoking T1. Could be something like that. Reinstalling

I've seen it happen where I had to re-highlite the mission I wanted for
T2 though so it could load it.

Other than that. I have been trying to keep the FM's separated in to
separate directories. T1 folder and a T2 folder so to speak.

I am wondering if anyone has tried to install a secondary dark loader
to a different path so that you can keep the missions separate.

I don't like how dark loader handles it in the current release.

I would rather have split windows one for T1's and one for T2's versus
the icons they use now.

Also find myself wishing for column adjustment controls so you could
shrink or expand the columns.

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

On Sun, 1 May 2005 18:57:45 -0600 Mos said :

>I know it sounds silly, but I've actually done it
>myself......wrong Thief CD in the computer ?

For T2 over here I am not using the CD anymore.

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:45:00 PM

When you play a thief1-mission, what do you have installed:
only thief1
thief1 and thief2?
Does it matter at all?

<ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote:

>flupp wrote:
>> Recently i wanted to play a thief 1 mission. Darkloader greyed out the
>> "Play"-button.
>> I installed thief 1 - no change. Do i have to deinstall thief 2 to
>> make thief 1-missions playable or is it an XP-matter?
>
> Sometimes Darkloader gets confused: I've seen it try to start a T2
>mission by invoking T1. Could be something like that. Reinstalling
>it helps -- but it may cause problems with your current saves unless
>you know to manage those things by hand. Perhaps it's enough to remove
>some configuration file, and let Darkloader rebuild it -- I've never
>gone that deeply into the problem.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 9:27:35 PM

flupp wrote:
> When you play a thief1-mission, what do you have installed:
> only thief1
> thief1 and thief2?
> Does it matter at all?

Not to me. I'm on XP, and have both T1 and T2 installed, and
run both through Darkloader with no ill effects to either for
the present.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
May 2, 2005 9:27:36 PM

"Anders Thulin" <ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote in
message news:bqtde.136194$dP1.479965@newsc.telia.net
> flupp wrote:
>> When you play a thief1-mission, what do you have
>> installed: only thief1
>> thief1 and thief2?
>> Does it matter at all?
>
> Not to me. I'm on XP, and have both T1 and T2
> installed, and run both through Darkloader with no ill
> effects to either for the present.

What he said. I've also got T-Gold on there.
The only difference is that I have T1 and TG
in a seperate folder from T2, but run all through
the same darkloader folder.

> --
> Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:26:14 AM

On Mon, 02 May 2005 15:45:00 GMT flupp said :

>When you play a thief1-mission, what do you have installed:
>only thief1
>thief1 and thief2?
>Does it matter at all?
>

>On Sun, 01 May 2005 21:57:17 GMT, Anders Thulin
><ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote:
>
>>flupp wrote:
>>> Recently i wanted to play a thief 1 mission. Darkloader greyed out the
>>> "Play"-button.
>>> I installed thief 1 - no change. Do i have to deinstall thief 2 to
>>> make thief 1-missions playable or is it an XP-matter?
>>
>> Sometimes Darkloader gets confused: I've seen it try to start a T2
>>mission by invoking T1. Could be something like that. Reinstalling
>>it helps -- but it may cause problems with your current saves unless
>>you know to manage those things by hand. Perhaps it's enough to remove
>>some configuration file, and let Darkloader rebuild it -- I've never
>>gone that deeply into the problem.

Right now on my end I have Thief 2 installed. I am waiting to
install Thief Gold soon.

Geneve

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:28:17 AM

On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:48:08 -0600 Mos said :

>"Anders Thulin" <ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote in
>message news:bqtde.136194$dP1.479965@newsc.telia.net
>> flupp wrote:
>>> When you play a thief1-mission, what do you have
>>> installed: only thief1
>>> thief1 and thief2?
>>> Does it matter at all?
>>
>> Not to me. I'm on XP, and have both T1 and T2
>> installed, and run both through Darkloader with no ill
>> effects to either for the present.
>
>What he said. I've also got T-Gold on there.
>The only difference is that I have T1 and TG
>in a seperate folder from T2, but run all through
>the same darkloader folder.
>

>> --
>> Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Over here I prefer to keep the Thief 1 and Thief 2 mission seperated.

Maybe if I am forced in to it I will rename the folders depending
on which version of Thief I plan on playing.

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:23:47 PM

Thanks fort the answers.

Deinstalling thief2 and installing thief1 ( i didn't play it for
years) gave some strange effects:
first i was warned that thief1 probably would crash if i did not
install an ancient direct-x version ( don´t know the number)
I ignored this and continued- after that i was told that a certain
file was missing ( this was, when i tried to play a thief1 mission)
the file should be downloaded from a thief-mission page; alternatively
i should download Dromed.
Could it be that this missing file-forgot the name- causes darkloader
to ignore the thief 1 missions?
( keeping the missios in different directories, reinstalling
darkloader ... did not make any difference)

On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:49:55 GMT, flupp
<w.haederle.skipthat@t-online.de> wrote:

>Recently i wanted to play a thief 1 mission. Darkloader greyed out the
>"Play"-button.
>I installed thief 1 - no change. Do i have to deinstall thief 2 to
>make thief 1-missions playable or is it an XP-matter?
>Thanks for an answer
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:16:21 PM

On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:23:47 GMT, flupp <w.haederle.skipthat@t-online.de>
wrote:

>Thanks fort the answers.
>
>Deinstalling thief2 and installing thief1 ( i didn't play it for
>years) gave some strange effects:
>first i was warned that thief1 probably would crash if i did not
>install an ancient direct-x version ( don´t know the number)
>I ignored this and continued- after that i was told that a certain
>file was missing ( this was, when i tried to play a thief1 mission)
>the file should be downloaded from a thief-mission page; alternatively
>i should download Dromed.

Some missions do require Dromed to be installed. This is uncommon for
normal missions. Many of the better missions require some scripts to be
installed at least for Thief II. I don't recall ever installing any for
Thief 1 though. Did you patch Thief 1 to v1.33 properly?

>Could it be that this missing file-forgot the name- causes darkloader
>to ignore the thief 1 missions?

Darkloader should see Thief 1 without any missions installed, so no, that
is not the problem.

>( keeping the missios in different directories, reinstalling
>darkloader ... did not make any difference)

You don't need to keep the missions in separate directories. When you
reinstalled Darkloader, did you delete it's ini file first? You are using
Darkloader 4.1, right?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

The problem is gone finally:

After deinstalling, reinstalling, patching everything from scratch
i am sorry to say that i initially pointed darkloader to the wrong
Thief1 directory.
Thanks again for your help.

!