GTX 470 vs GTX 480 vs 5870 vs 5850

Which one do you feel is the overall best card for performance and the price?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I figured that there is a lot of mixed thoughts on the subject so I would like to see what people really think,
and for the record I personally think the GTX 470 is the best bang for the buck, enjoy!
I base my opinion or thought after spending all night reading benchmarks between the 4!
I set it to finish at next weekend on Saturday at Noon, Mountain Western Time US.
**If you want please feel free to comment on your pick telling us why the one you picked is the best**

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
on guru3d.com, they stopped showing the GTX470's fps next to the 5870 cause it was beating it, so if you scroll
up and down between the 470vs5850 and the 480vs5870, the GTX470 was getting way higher fps on just about everything. I am for real, I thought it was funny cause ATI got lucky and just released the new driver and without it they would of scored a way less.
The 470 takes less watts, has lower temps, and can score really high on just about anything, so OCing would put you so high you forgot what an ati card was.
Oh not to mention the PsyX, and most impotant 3D. So nvidia has given unto us for the long wait, The rocket sled game and ray tracer.
What was nice of them to do is only make it 9.5 inchs so pretty much anyone can put it in there case.
I can go on cause ati is just anothe graphics card, the new GTX 400's are the future of gameing, 3D and entertainment. So I could go on all day so I will stop.
I got all my info and opinions from the nvidia site, and here
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/
Oh just to let you know it took me over an hour or two to read all the info, so if you havent got to check out everything spec, bench and detail its all pack into that link.

jennyh

Splendid
You two are really deluded lol.

perfrel_2560.gif

The 480 is 7% faster at max resolution. 7% for 50% more power and 20% more heat. It's pathetic, probably the worst card since the 2900XT, and the 470 is barely better.

Yep, i'm with jenn here.

The GTX 470 is about the same as the 5850, and the GTX 480 is about the same as the 5870.

The small gain in frames is not worth the higher price, and even more so when you take power and heat into consideration.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah. actually read the Toms review and you'll see its clearly not better than the 5870. And still no mid-low end parts or laptop parts (and due to power and heat probably never will be). Nvidia messed up this time.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Well if you want to base your opinions off of onw diagram, there are plenty of benchmarks in games were the 5970 isn't that much better, I am not saying the 480 does better in performance, but I would say its right up there with it.
Then the 470 beats the crap out of the 5850 in everything period, and then gets higher FPS's in pretty much every games benchmarks, I am not writing this out of my azz, yeah there is certain if ands, and, buts, but in general I wouldn't place the 5970 as the route to go when buying a card, for many reasons. Also with that stated if I wasn't getting it why would I get 5870 when for $350, I could get a GTX 470 and with out OCing it get just as good fps in 1920x1200 then the 5870, not to mention I could get the asus 5850 and oc also and it would perfrom just as good as the 5870.
Plus if you want to talk about heat and wattage, I am not sticking them in my stock dell computer from k mart, so that isn't even a problem in my case.

And since your not satisfied with the "small" gain in fps, I would consider that your not interested in 3D or PsyX, which is what nvidia is offering a complete package, that actually works out of the box, how long has it taken them to get the newest driver out to get things the work, there lucky they did cause that would take that "small" increase a lot higher.
Obviously if your all ATI then nothing Nvidia has to offer will be good enough for you even if it did spank the 5970. The ATI cards were the best around cause there was nothing around, and I just hope ATI fans aren't scared of a "little" competition.
Intel is on top of AMD-fact, Nvidia is on top of ATI-fact. Intel with Nvidia on top of AMD with ATI-fact.

rescawen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
5870 costs around the same as GTX470, its faster and more power effiecient and quieter and cooler. In which parallel universe where jensen is not CEO is GTX470 a good product??

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

if your talking about mine, its great. It is extremely flexible when it comes to overclocking, is fast at stock, has a clear cmos button which saves alot of trouble when you have a failed overclock, and not to mention, looks cool :D

Also it has very good build quality. The only thing i noticed is that the RAM slots are a little close, and a massive air cooler might block one of them. I use a Corsair h50 so it wasn't a problem for me.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
That boards new version is so sick the 890FX-GD70.
Msi can make some of the wickedest boards on the planet
esp. for OCing, they got the big bang, they got the eclipse, and they got the 890FXgd70, they are making some of the best of the best.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Whoa is the 890fx out?

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
ok you people are really biased on the issue. Because nvidia actually delivered quite a good product. Especially the 470 gtx. priced a little higher than the 5850 it delivers around 5-10% better performance with BETA DRIVERS!! And ok it uses more power but then again what do you expect from a better card? And everyone whining about the heat is simply pathetic since the only reason it's so hot is beacause the fan is only at 60% to keep the noise down and because it doesn't matter a damn bit if it's 70° or 90°. So if you really care about heat then pump up the fan to 70 or 80% and the temps will drop to the same as the 5850(and it will still be very silent). So in the end they both have ups and downs. It all comes down to personal preferance.

^ @ somebody - it's some peoples personal preference that their PC is not doubling as a room heater ^_^.

Anyway, I would say the 5850, even though I bought a 5870 anyway :p. The performance of the GTX 470 is slightly above the 5850 most of the time. It's true that in a few situations it can rival or beat the 5870, but in others even the 5850 will leave it behind. Still, the GTX 470 is launching at $350, not that I can find one to buy yet, while the 5850 can be seen as low as $279. For those concerned about heat and power MSI and Gigabyte finally put out their non reference 5850s, both running at $329. The only 5850 that looks overpriced now is the Toxic sitting at $379, but of course that's only if you pretend that you can actually buy a $349 GTX 470

AMW1011

Distinguished
Wow, WTF is wrong today?

Yes, [H]'s review is pretty poor as it has totally different results than the other ones concerning the GTX 470.

The GTX 470 provides the same performance, only about 5% slower, than the 5870, costs over $50 less, will gain that performance with better drivers, and is naturally much better with heavy tessellation, 10%+. Yes it consumes a bit more power than the 5870 and yes it is a bit hotter, but if you can deal with that then you have a much better card for the price.

And yes the GTX 480 sucks.

jennyh

Splendid

I think you missed the fact that the fans are already running 70% on these at idle.

It's embarrassing tbh. Nvidia did everything they could to squeeze every ounce of performance out of these cards and they still lose in a lot of games. To the 5970 they just lose, period.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Yep, almost 5870 performance for $70 less which will become on par or better with driver updates, all with the superior tessellation performance of the Fermi architecture at around the same power consumption. Yep because these cards hit ~90c at 60% fan speed they blow....

Why are people so militant about shutting their eyes to any success in this release?

jennyh

Splendid

10% slower. TEN percent according to this posted in the main thread.

RobertVarga_27-03-2010-15-22-30_games.jpg

RobertVarga_27-03-2010-15-22-30_price.jpg

Now the 470 is 8 (EIGHT) percent faster than the 5850, 10 (TEN) percent slower than the 5870, but costs much closer to the 5870 than it does the 5850, while being hotter and more power hungry than both.

How is this a good deal again?

Status
Not open for further replies.