kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

I have a 3 year old ACER computer. I used to use it as my own. I just recently built my own gaming rig, so I do not need it any longer. I decided to give it to my mom, since her computer is ancient. She said she needs to keep all her data she has, so I decided that I would just open up her ancient computer, take her HDD, and pop it in my old computer, and wahla, it would work. Guess not. Her hardrive is so old, it uses that long 20 pin (i think 20 maybe smaller or larger) connector that the optical disk drive uses. Its slightly different though because on her connector, it has one hole missing in the middle. Anyways, I tried connecting it, turned it on, and it brought me to the screen where I could select start windows normally, safe mode, and the other options. I chose to start it normally. I hit it, it loaded for a few seconds, flashed a blue screen for about half a second, then restarted. It just goes through the same process over and over again. What is wrong here? Is there any way to maybe buy a new HDD, and transfer the data from hers to the new one, so she saves all of her emails and documents? My old computer (the one im trying to give her) used to use Windows vista 32 bit, if that matters. It had an AMD chipset, used athlon I believe, her ancient one I believe used intel, that shouldnt matter though for the hardrive, righht? Oh by the way I cant boot into safe mode either the same thing happens

Rarely can you just move a hard drive to a different machine and have the preinstalled operating system work. It doesnt have the necessary drivers installed to handle the motherboard and other components so it will generally crash often unless it happens to be the same motherboard. Your best bet is to copy all of her stuff onto an external HDD, and then copy it from that onto the hard drive in your old machine after doing a fresh install of windows.

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

How can I copy any thing onto an external HDD when I cant even boot windows in safemode?

Hello there! You called my name, so I will be glad to help!

Put the HDD back into the old system like hunter315 said and manually transfer the data. Transfer everything (or just the important files) onto a CD, DVD, or USB and transfer it. Since you said her HDD is ancient, I doubt it has a lot of stuff in it anyways (below 40GB?).

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Well shes going through big divorce so I guess she wanted to save a lot of emails. cant i just run xp repair?

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
ok well, cant i just run xp repair?

I could install windows 7 on her system i think. I bought the FULL retail version of windows 7. I installed the 64 bit on mine. Could I install the 32 bit on hers?