Sign in with
Your question

Seriously loud CPU fan - any thoughts on replacement?

Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2010 10:53:21 PM

Recently put together a new system - it's only my 2nd so far and a bit of a learning experience, but I've been happy with the performance.

Unfortunately, my CPU fan is quite loud even when computer is idle and when gaming/encoding video/etc it approaches blowdryer type volumes (6400+ rpm during heavy use). The processor is: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor. According to the reviews some people had loud fans, some didn't.

The mobo is ASRock 880G EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.

Called AMD tech support. They said to re-seat the fan, so I cleaned off the stock thermal tape, applied Arctic Silver, reinstalled today. Still very loud. My CPU temps vary according to what's measuring (BIOS reading is higher than Speedfan), but range from 47-54C while gaming. No OC.

Seems like I should pick up a new heatsink? Any recommendations? Inexpensive and quiet would be ideal...
June 28, 2010 11:28:44 PM

54C seems high for a non-OC. I guess it depends on what your ambient temp is, but my temp was below 52C under full load Prime95.

Regardless, the stock fan for the 955 is very loud. It can spin at around 4,000 RPM which produces that high pitch annoying noise. I replaced mine. There are many good after market options out there depending on what your needs are.

I personally recommend the Scythe Katana 3 or Scythe Kama Angle. Both are quiet and easy to install, but they're not available on Newegg, which means that you'll pay more for shipping. Maybe someone else can make a recommendation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE OC 3.8GHz | ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO | G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK | XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512MB | Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W | WD Caviar Blue 500GB | Scythe Kama Angle Rev. B | Windows 7 64-bit
m
l
June 28, 2010 11:48:44 PM

My BIOS consistently reports a higher temp than Speedfan, so I'm wondering about the accuracy of both... what's the best desktop app to use for temperature?
m
l
Related resources
June 29, 2010 12:47:18 AM

Ah thanks, just downloaded HW Monitor. It reports the same temps as SpeedFan (which is different from what the BIOS reports)...

I would've thought the BIOS would be most accurate, maybe this is not the case?
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
June 29, 2010 12:57:31 AM

The bios is the correct temps, but you have to remember that is the CPU's Die temp and is not the core temp. Core temps will be a bit higher then the actual CPU temp.
m
l
June 29, 2010 1:17:16 AM

Hmm, i'm not sure of the technical reasons behind it, but from what i've heard, those 3rd party programs are more accurate in real-time core temp monitoring than the BIOS. BIOS measures CPU temp.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:55:15 PM

foggydj said:
Hmm, i'm not sure of the technical reasons behind it, but from what i've heard, those 3rd party programs are more accurate in real-time core temp monitoring than the BIOS. BIOS measures CPU temp.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

I've heard this too, though also short of details. Anyone care to enlighten?
m
l
!