Sign in with
Your question

Few questions about installing my computer(ahci and dual boot)

Last response: in Motherboards
January 2, 2011 12:21:44 AM

I am going to be installing windows 7 ultimate on my computer, so I plan to do a full install and format my main hard drive, so I can put it on my SSD.
I read that with windows 7 ultimate 64bit, I could install windows XP and windows 7 and so I could turn on my computer and choose between the two I want to boot(depending on what programs I plan to use or whatever)

So I was wondering how this is done, I read some place that I install windows xp first then windows ultimate? IDK?

2nd question, I have all sata 3 hard drives, and spent more money on getting sata 3 for the speed, but I read that, if I set my bios to native IDE, then I loose the sata 3 speeds and only get sata 2 speeds.

So I have the ahci and raid drivers on my usb, from what I read I just click F6, when booting up first time, and go in and add the drivers?
But how is this actually done???
a b $ Windows 7
a c 197 V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 12:28:14 AM

Windows XP is run by virtual machine inside Windows 7 Ultimate and Business. It is launched just like a program.

Windows 7 does not require you to install AHCI or RAID drivers before install like XP did. They are included making installation much easier.
m
l
January 2, 2011 12:48:36 AM

anort3 said:
Windows XP is run by virtual machine inside Windows 7 Ultimate and Business. It is launched just like a program.

Windows 7 does not require you to install AHCI or RAID drivers before install like XP did. They are included making installation much easier.

Since I am not use to either of these subjects, you mean I just install the drivers right now, reboot, and change the driver type from native IDE to ACHI???

Then what do I do to get windows xp as a program, I have windows 7 ultimate up right now, do I go somewhere and install XP? or is it just chlling right now?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 217 V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 12:54:41 AM

You have a lot of ideas some of which appear to eb mushed together.

1. With Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions, you can install Windows XP mode which lets you run Windows XP and maintain compatibility w/ older programs

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and...

2. IF you want to keep your old XP install, install Win7 with just the SSD data cable connected. Once done, install your old main drive. If you want to boot to the old XP install, just select the old main drive in the boor priority section of your BIOS
m
l
January 2, 2011 1:16:51 AM

NO, I just have Windows 7 ultimate installed on my WD black 1tb 6gb/s, but the Crucial 64gb 1.8" is one of the top 25 fastest hard drives, so I plan to do just do a brand new thing, and format my current WD, and start fresh.

So I would want to do the WIndows XP as a program thing. I have games like farcry and some old randoms that I would love to use XP for.
I checked my bios a week ago and I turned on Virtualization, cause it said some programs will work better with it, so I am sure I should have a prob, with doing this XP thing.

But thanks for the link, that is now solved(actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.) :) 

So, for the ACHI and Raid thing, you say I don't have to do this before initializations.

So you say the gigabyte driver for my motherboard that is for achi and raid(two seperate downloads), I can download onto my computer right now, and then I will be able to
go into the bios and change it to ACHI or RAID,(if I install both their drivers)??
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 252 V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 1:34:04 AM

To properly use your SSD, you need "trim" support to be enabled. Trim is needed to presrve the SSD performance as the ssd fills up and nand blocks are reused. In the bios, select sata mode as AHCI, not (ide or raid). When windows 7 is installed it will install the ahci drivers which will pass on the trim command.

XP does not natively support AHCI; you need to supply the ahci drivers via a floppy during xp installation. I tried to do this in many different ways, and utterly failed. I wanted to be able to run my all time old favorite game; Civilization 2.42. As a 16 bit dos game, It simply will not run properly on a 64 bit system. In the end, I installed XP on an old pc expressly for that one game.

When windows of any kind boots, it will have installed hard drive(or ssd) drivers that it expects. If your xp was built with ide support, it will not boot with ahci in the bios. If you are willing to change the bios before you boot xp, then it will work. Most, if not all games that run on xp can be successfully installed and run well on windows 7. I think far cry is ok.
m
l
January 2, 2011 2:04:07 AM

ok, I gotcha, yeah I was wondering why my 6gb/s sata 3 hard drive was getting the same index score as other hard drives that are ide and sata!
Ok, well I pretty much got this figured out, I am going to be ordering a bunch of new parts for my last build.

So I plan to do this all in one big swoop, with the windows install on the SSD from Crucial 64gb sata 3 1.8"(I read that the 1.8 is faster than the 2.5")

There was one flaw to my plan, and I had this plan to get a 5770 to CFX with my current 5770 to make it on par with the stock 5870, then I found out about the 68XX and 69XX series, so pretty much I am debating on spending a 150$ on a 5770, or 300$ on a 6950, or 200$+ on 6850 or 6870.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 252 V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 2:13:03 AM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
ok, I gotcha, yeah I was wondering why my 6gb/s sata 3 hard drive was getting the same index score as other hard drives that are ide and sata!
Ok, well I pretty much got this figured out, I am going to be ordering a bunch of new parts for my last build.

So I plan to do this all in one big swoop, with the windows install on the SSD from Crucial 64gb sata 3 1.8"(I read that the 1.8 is faster than the 2.5")

There was one flaw to my plan, and I had this plan to get a 5770 to CFX with my current 5770 to make it on par with the stock 5870, then I found out about the 68XX and 69XX series, so pretty much I am debating on spending a 150$ on a 5770, or 300$ on a 6950, or 200$+ on 6850 or 6870.

You have rediscovered the flaw in planning on crossfire/sli upgrading.
I would sell the 5770 which is still a good card, and has value and get a great single card.
m
l
January 2, 2011 2:31:05 AM

Well if I remeber correctly, I watched the price of the 5850 because it was the one I wanted, and it was 340$, and now the asus direct cu is now 250$. But, I paid 150$ for the 5770(cause Gigabyte refused to accept my MIR, and so did newegg), which was only just in september. So I got it because it was cheap, and gave me a good enough performance for the time being.

But If I drop, 300$ in that 6950, in 3-6 months I will go to CFX, like what just happened, and the same thing will happen again.
So I am thinking I am better off, spending the $150=stock 5870, which would be the CFX 5770, then it shouldn't have a problem running any application(BF2 BC, Valve games on Steam) So I figure by the time Bulldozer comes I bet there is to be even something new, which would be perfect especially if AMD allows Bulldozer CPU's to fit on my AM3 board,(save me some money), so I could upgrade my 965 and CFX 5770 to Bulldozer X4 2965 and to the 8950!
m
l
!