drifting cursor in IBM laptops...

hi

in both of my IBM laptops with trackpoint:
old tp560 and present tp570 cursor is drifting...
it is normal situation or not?

if no, can i repair it by myself or only service do this?

greetings,
dakti
6 answers Last reply
More about drifting cursor laptops

    if you realise the trackpoint it should recalibrate and stop. If this works
    you have to simply get used to allowing the trackpoint to recalibrate
    everytime it starts to drift rather than fight it.
    dm.
    "cza cza cza" <plusmius@wp.pl> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > in both of my IBM laptops with trackpoint:
    > old tp560 and present tp570 cursor is drifting...
    > it is normal situation or not?
    >
    > if no, can i repair it by myself or only service do this?
    >
    > greetings,
    > dakti

    That was of course meant to say 'release' - I was getting sleepy.

    "Duncan J Murray"
    <duncan.murray@remove.this.bit.medical-school.and.this.bit.oxford.ac.uk>
    wrote in message news:cinihl$22b$1@news.ox.ac.uk...
    > if you realise the trackpoint it should recalibrate and stop. If this
    > works you have to simply get used to allowing the trackpoint to
    > recalibrate everytime it starts to drift rather than fight it.
    > dm.
    > "cza cza cza" <plusmius@wp.pl> wrote in message
    >> hi
    >>
    >> in both of my IBM laptops with trackpoint:
    >> old tp560 and present tp570 cursor is drifting...
    >> it is normal situation or not?
    >>
    >> if no, can i repair it by myself or only service do this?
    >>
    >> greetings,
    >> dakti

    thanks DM for answer

    sometimes I trying to fight with it - as you wroted -
    because I get nervous, when cursor drifting through half screen :(
    I must learn to live with it...

    greetings,
    cza!

    > if you release the trackpoint it should recalibrate and stop. If this
    > works you have to simply get used to allowing the trackpoint to
    > recalibrate everytime it starts to drift rather than fight it.

    > in both of my IBM laptops with trackpoint:
    > old tp560 and present tp570 cursor is drifting...
    > it is normal situation or not?
    >
    > if no, can i repair it by myself or only service do this?

    I think I remember a tech note or something on the IBM website that
    talked about this. My 600X used to do that - all I had to do was to
    wait 5 seconds or so, and it stopped moving and then everything was
    normal. I am now using a T-40 and I don't believe I have seen it
    drift like the 600X did.

    ken

    How is recalibration done ??
    any special software or is it something in the bios ?

    thanks..

    Duncan J Murray wrote:

    > if you realise the trackpoint it should recalibrate and stop. If this works
    > you have to simply get used to allowing the trackpoint to recalibrate
    > everytime it starts to drift rather than fight it.
    > dm.
    > "cza cza cza" <plusmius@wp.pl> wrote in message
    > > hi
    > >
    > > in both of my IBM laptops with trackpoint:
    > > old tp560 and present tp570 cursor is drifting...
    > > it is normal situation or not?
    > >
    > > if no, can i repair it by myself or only service do this?
    > >
    > > greetings,
    > > dakti

    | Etop Udoh | Http://www.geocities.com/sdruid11 |
    | P.O. Box 1054| Http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/sdruid |
    |Snellville, Ga| Http://home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-sdruid |
    | 30078 | Http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/bit/9122 |
    |--------------| Http://home.earthlink.net/~sdruid11 |
    | A+ Certified Net+ Certified |
    | \/ \/ |
    |sdruid11@earthlink.net |sdruid11@bellsouth.net |sdruid11@yahoo.com|
    | !! ..........Peace and Love to All......... !! |

    I'm late to this thread - forgive me if I repeat what's already been
    said.

    The Thinkpad Trackpoint logic dynamically calibrates its sensors by
    trying to recognize the "no input" state and calibrating that as neutral.

    As a result - if you very gently rest your finger on the Trackpoint -
    so lightly that it doesn't move, or sometimes, if you leave enough
    pressure to move the mouse, but keep up the same constant pressure even
    after the mouse goes off the screen - then the Trackpoint will
    recalibrate that as neutral. Now, if you take your finger off, the
    Trackpoint will start to move!

    To recalibrate again, just leave everything alone for a short while,
    so that the above described logic again detects "no input" and
    recalibrates.

    If this doesn't work, you must consider defective hardware - I've seen
    reports of very occasional failures of this mechanism.

Laptops Cursor IBM