Status
Not open for further replies.

kawiguy

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Hi all, I'm looking for some help as I'm a bit frustrated trying to upgrade my Asus G73 with an SSD.

I picked up a SanDisk Extreme 240g SSD and tried to install it. First I added it as the secondary drive to ensure that it was working. It formatted fine and I could even save data to it and then copy from it after a reboot. This meaning that Windows 7 clearly detected the drive. Also, I did not have to install any drivers to do this... the drive was picked up automatically.

I then removed the primary drive and installed the SSD into the primary position. I then tried to install windows 7 via the ISO available from the ASUS ROG site. The ISO did all of it's pre-install, yet when it came to the drive selection screen, the SSD was not discovered. In thinking this may be a raid / AHCI problem I changed the setting in the bios to IDE. The drive was still not recognized by the win7 install disk. I did this both before and after updating the firmware to no affect.

Any ideas why the disk would not be detected during the windows installation process? Also, what can I do to fix this?

i dont think asus has a vaild copy of windows 7 iso on there web page. if they did microsoft would sue them and fine them. your system should have had an os disk with it when you bought it or made it. if not if your in school you can buy windows 7 at a discount. also you can install windows 8 cs that free to use.

kawiguy

Honorable
May 24, 2012

They do have a copy of the ISO and you "can't use it" unless you put in the CD key, right? Anyhow, they do and I've downloaded it and tried to install it. You can check 'em out at http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=

The reason they have this is because no OS disk came with the system... only a restore set of disks which doesn't seem to do the trick either.

In seeing if it was the ISO issue, I tried it on the primary hard drive and it works fine, so it's an issue between the SSD, the computer hardware, and the software.

Grazzt

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Did anyone come up with a way to fix this? This is the first time I'm finding out I'm not a mutant with the only fucked up ssd. Is there perhaps a bios update for the mobo that would fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.