Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Setting up iTunes media

Last response: in Storage
May 30, 2012 2:43:47 AM

Hello,
Hey guys hopefully someone here can shed some light on my problem.

So I have an ssd as my boot drive along with some frequently used games (cough diablo3 cough). I downloaded my entire music collection, a measely 6gb but now I cannot get itunes to pull the music from my hdd. Whenever I reinstall itunes I can get it to install to my hdd but it puts the itunes library onto the music folder which is tied directly to my ssd.

I have tried going into preferences and setting it to pull the music from the folder on my hdd but nothing happens. I have then tried going into organize library but again nothing. Finally I tried opening itunes with shift held and choosing a library but again the library link I need is placed into the general music folder. Any help is greatly appreciated.

More about : setting itunes media

a c 79 G Storage
May 30, 2012 7:40:02 AM

Go here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1589

Footnote: Thank God I don't have to use iTunes as I don't own any Apple devices.
Don't get me wrong, Apple devices are generally brilliant judging from those I've used belonging to family members, but their iTunes is a mess -- my daughter is always having problems with it.
May 30, 2012 3:38:57 PM

Unfortunately I have tried doing that as well. When I do it only allows me to select an itunes library file which I have no idea how to properly set up. I have an itunes library file but it is not in the correct place.
Related resources

Best solution

a c 504 G Storage
May 30, 2012 4:19:24 PM

See if this works:

1.) Uninstall iTunes
2.) Reboot pc. Install iTunes to your C: drive.
3.) Do not let iTunes automatically find your music, just complete the installation and end up with a empty library.
4.) Close iTunes, which will save your settings.
5.) Open iTunes, go to File-->Add Folder to Library…
6.) Select the folder on your HDD that contains your music.
May 30, 2012 6:47:17 PM

Best answer selected by mbossi19.
May 30, 2012 8:59:19 PM

Dereck, while that did work, I closed itunes and when I reopened it, i again had no music, it seems as though I may have to do this everytime...
a c 504 G Storage
May 30, 2012 9:02:30 PM

That's weird. You shouldn't have to do that every time. What version of Windows do you have?
May 30, 2012 9:14:05 PM

Windows 7
May 30, 2012 9:14:56 PM

scratch that, I just closed it an reopened it and it appears to work. Not sure what happened the first time. Oh well, also do you have any idea if there is a tool in itunes that allows duplicate songs to be removed? I thought there was but I cannot remember.
a c 504 G Storage
May 30, 2012 9:23:48 PM

Go to Help-->iTunes Help
Type "Duplicate" in the search box. It will show you two ways to find duplicate items.
May 31, 2012 12:21:58 AM

thanks that worked perfectly
a b G Storage
May 31, 2012 11:20:43 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!