Sign in with
Your question

BIOS config as AHCI for sata HD on GA-890GPA-UDH3

Last response: in Motherboards
January 2, 2011 3:59:27 AM

Greetings Folks,
This is my first build and despite doing my homework on various forums I've run into a problem that is confusing me. Regard the GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard (rev 2.1, BIOS version FD) I have connected a Samsung F3 spinpoint Sata II HD to sata port 0, I connected a WD sata II HD to port 1 (the blue ports), and I connected a Samsung DVD burner to the GSATA2_7 port. On the first powerup the board posted fine and both hard drives and the optical drive were recognized. As you know the default setup in 'integrated peripherals' for this board are:
OnChip SATA controller (AMD SB850) : enabled
OnChip SATA type : Native IDE
Onboard GSATA/IDE Ctrl: enabled
Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode: IDE

Now, I want to install Windows 7 64bit as the O/S in AHCI mode onto only 1 of the hard drives, so I made one change to the settings in Integrated Peripherals. I changed 'OnChip SATA Type' for the SATA3_0~SATA3_3 connectors to AHCI, and saved. I rebooted and found upon post that neither hard drive was recognized. At this juncture I have not tried moving the hard drives to any of the other SATA3 ports. I don't understand this result, so my first question, please, is where has my reasoning broken down?
My second question is premature but I'll ask it now. I've installed the Phenom ll x2 555 black edition callisto processor with hopes that I could unlock it and get a 4-core processor. So, I was very curious and decided to try to unlock the other 2 cores by enabling 'CPU unlock', and it is now posting as 4 core. Regard this, is it likely that after loading the O/S it will continue to be stable as a 4-core, and would I want to revert back to dual core before installing Windows?
I appreciate any help/insights you can provide.
Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 7:25:19 AM

Set the controller to IDE and don't bother with AHCI/SATA3, whatever, you don't have SATA3 HDDs and even if you had.

If the CPU is stable or not you will see if you run some stress tests/benchmarks like Prime95. I never bother to do that, if it's good in my games and applications, it's fine.

What's your CPU voltage in the BIOS? Check the temperatures with this:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html
You have some benches in there.

P.S. I was delegated by AMD to collect the fee for the free extra cores on their CPUs, you can send the beer this way.

January 2, 2011 3:26:06 PM

Is there an option to set SATA 2 or 3 in bios?
Related resources
January 2, 2011 4:07:13 PM

mosox said:
Set the controller to IDE and don't bother with AHCI/SATA3, whatever, you don't have SATA3 HDDs and even if you had.

If the CPU is stable or not you will see if you run some stress tests/benchmarks like Prime95. I never bother to do that, if it's good in my games and applications, it's fine.

P.S. I was delegated by AMD to collect the fee for the free extra cores on their CPUs, you can send the beer this way.

I have the sme question about AHCI and I do have a SATA 3 drive, the WD 500GN Caviar Blue on SATA 6GB (which I belive is the SATA 3 standard speed). I have the same issue in that I am having to run at native IDE because my HDD is not recognised oterwise. What gives?
January 2, 2011 6:15:44 PM

mosox said:

Mosox-
You must have quite a large supply of beer given the high success rate of unlocking these processors!
I understand what you are saying, that my HDD is sata2, not sata3, and have seen some of the answers bilbat (member on this forum) has written indicating that, if my understanding is correct, that in specific situations, not much advantage to running in AHCI mode versus IDE. Also, I've read enough to know that the install of windows 7 on IDE mode will likley proceed no problem. Also I understand that during install of W7 in AHCI mode there is sometimes a need to load AHCI drivers via floppy. However, I'm really interested in learning some of the finer points of this assembly and so I'm still curious about the non-recognition of my HDD during POST or in the BIOS when using the sata3 ports 0-5 which are under control of the SB850. I've since moved each of the 2 new HDD around to other ports and in IDE mode always recognized but not in AHCI.
Is this just a driver issue at the moment, as I've seen the driver updates for AHCI and RAID on the Gigabyte website. Or, when configured as AHCI will the HDD never show up during post?

I've read that AHCI mode is required to support TRIM when using SSDs and to enable hot-swap at the eSATA port. I've been contemplating using a small capacity SSD for the O/S and applications, and HDD for file storage. Given this, it's important I understand whats happening in my current situation. I appreciate that for my first build my ambition is exceeded by my knowledge, but nevertheless, I remain optimistic that I can at least aquire a practical level of understanding that lets me take advantage of some of the newer technologies.

Also, for anyone else out there that might be reading this and is using the Samsung F3 spinpoint HDD (model # HD502HJ) with the AMD SB850, there was a previous Discussion on this forum that Samsung had initiated a method to flash the HDD because of an incompatability with this Southbridge (HDD was not seen). That particular thread did not say if the OP was working in AHCI or IDE mode, but I can report that in IDE mode this HDD is recognized on my board.

You had also inquired about my CPU voltage in BIOS with the 4 cores running, it is 1.296V.
January 2, 2011 6:26:46 PM

r-sky said:
Is there an option to set SATA 2 or 3 in bios?

No, any of the 6 blue SATA3 ports on this mb are back compatible with SATA2, or there are 2 other ports that are GSATA2 that run off a controller that is separate from the SB850. There were some lively and helpful discussions between 2 experienced members on this board- bilbat and jaquith that I came across from 8-10-10 that were relevant, ie, whether or not to put SATA2 devices on SATA3 ports. I think that particular set of Discussions has an important take home message for me, but I'm still trying to digest how it relates to my question.
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 7:14:39 PM

Ok, if you want to test the thingy from what I remember the Samsungs have issues with SATA3 on some AMD chipsets, you need a firmware update but there's a possibility that you brick your HDD like it is for any firmware update.

I think it's that one:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b...
January 6, 2011 1:40:39 PM

I'm still interested in some help on this from someone who's familiar with this motherboard/bios. All i want to do is hook up in AHCI mode 1 hdd to the Sata3 port running off the SB850 and then will install windows 7 64bit. Seems like it should be straightforward but when I go into integrated peripherals and set "on chip sata type" to AHCI, the hdd does not show up in the post.
a c 105 V Motherboard
January 6, 2011 9:01:05 PM

I think there are some more drivers that need to be loaded for AHCI.
January 10, 2011 3:43:03 PM

I went ahead and connected one sata2 hdd into port0 (running off controller in the SB850), in BIOS set to run that in AHCI mode. Windows 7 installed with no problem. I did not load any other drivers during the W7 install. Bottom line, I guess I was anticipating a problem that did not happen. We can close this out as solved.
Thanks to those who offered suggestions.
!