Disabling Indexing Service

Jd

I've disabled the Indexing Service in the Services pane, yet I notice that
the C drive (properties) has "Enable Indexing of this Disk" with a check
mark in the box.
If I uncheck it, I then am asked if I want this change in properties to
apply to this drive or to ALL files and folders.
What should I do in this regard?

This is only a flag, that either allows the disk/folders to be indexed or
not.
If the Service was running and it is ticked, it will index it.
If the Service was running and it is not ticked it will not index it.

As you have already disabled the indexing service, no indexing is taking
place.

Regards
Mark Dormer

"JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
> I've disabled the Indexing Service in the Services pane, yet I notice that
> the C drive (properties) has "Enable Indexing of this Disk" with a check
> mark in the box.
> If I uncheck it, I then am asked if I want this change in properties to
> apply to this drive or to ALL files and folders.
> What should I do in this regard?

Jd

So I take it that no harm was done by unchecking the box in C Properties.
I hope.
"Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote in message
> This is only a flag, that either allows the disk/folders to be indexed or
> not.
> If the Service was running and it is ticked, it will index it.
> If the Service was running and it is not ticked it will not index it.
>
> As you have already disabled the indexing service, no indexing is taking
> place.
>
> Regards
> Mark Dormer
>
> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
>> I've disabled the Indexing Service in the Services pane, yet I notice
>> that the C drive (properties) has "Enable Indexing of this Disk" with a
>> check mark in the box.
>> If I uncheck it, I then am asked if I want this change in properties to
>> apply to this drive or to ALL files and folders.
>> What should I do in this regard?

It will make no difference at all while the Indexing Service isn't running.
If, in the future you turn Indexing on, it won't index that drive, no harm,
just no indexing.

> So I take it that no harm was done by unchecking the box in C Properties.
> I hope.
> "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote in message
>> This is only a flag, that either allows the disk/folders to be indexed or
>> not.
>> If the Service was running and it is ticked, it will index it.
>> If the Service was running and it is not ticked it will not index it.
>>
>> As you have already disabled the indexing service, no indexing is taking
>> place.
>>
>> Regards
>> Mark Dormer
>>
>> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
>>> I've disabled the Indexing Service in the Services pane, yet I notice
>>> that the C drive (properties) has "Enable Indexing of this Disk" with a
>>> check mark in the box.
>>> If I uncheck it, I then am asked if I want this change in properties to
>>> apply to this drive or to ALL files and folders.
>>> What should I do in this regard?

Jd

I appreciate your reassurance. I thought I had perhaps done something
harmful to the system because it said "An error occurred" when I checked
"Apply to all folders." I just checked "OK" and the dialog box closed, with
the "Allow Indexing" box now unchecked.
> It will make no difference at all while the Indexing Service isn't
> running.
> If, in the future you turn Indexing on, it won't index that drive, no
> harm, just no indexing.
>
> Regards
> Mark Dormer
>
> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
>> So I take it that no harm was done by unchecking the box in C Properties.
>> I hope.
>> "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote in message
>>> This is only a flag, that either allows the disk/folders to be indexed
>>> or not.
>>> If the Service was running and it is ticked, it will index it.
>>> If the Service was running and it is not ticked it will not index it.
>>>
>>> As you have already disabled the indexing service, no indexing is taking
>>> place.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Mark Dormer
>>>
>>> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message

The error was probably caused by permissions on one of the lower level
folders.
If the account you are using doesn't have the rights to change the setting
on a folder it will error.